Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
..Do you prefer for home defense? I've been shooting a 16" mid length Troy Industries upper but haven't handled anything shorter. I like the Troy as it stands so considering a shorter build dedicated to the home defense role. I see the obvious handling advantages of running a shorter barrel in a pistol config. but with shorter length comes more blast and noise(does it really matter indoors?!). Is there a sweet spot? Distances anticipated run from indoor to close outdoor(50-70yrds).

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally have been shooting my PSA 12 inch pistol with SBA3 butt, and it is very smooth. I put in a Geissele trigger from the start. Only failure was due to a bad acs mag that would not feed the last round. Last round would lock open with a live round popped out of the mag. New GI mag worked 100%. I am going to try a Magpul 20 tomorrow. Very handy with a 3.5X ACOG. Mine has the factory can and I guess that directs noise forrwad. It really has a bark.
I wont say it is the ultimate in home defense, but I really like the size.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For my uses, 14.5" with a red dot is the sweet spot, do all length for me short of something intended for long range work..............no real best, mainly personal preference, IMO.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
14.5" is what I keep on standby. It hits the sweet spot for me.

I have others in 10.5", 11.5", 16", 20".

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 10.5 5.56 AR pistol and 8.5 300 BO AR pistol

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Is there much difference in recoil pulse, noise, muzzle movement between them? I'd hazard a guess there'd be a noticeable difference in muzzle blast between the 10.5 and the 16"?

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Terryk
I personally have been shooting my PSA 12 inch pistol with SBA3 butt, and it is very smooth. I put in a Geissele trigger from the start. Only failure was due to a bad acs mag that would not feed the last round. Last round would lock open with a live round popped out of the mag. New GI mag worked 100%. I am going to try a Magpul 20 tomorrow. Very handy with a 3.5X ACOG. Mine has the factory can and I guess that directs noise forrwad. It really has a bark.
I wont say it is the ultimate in home defense, but I really like the size.

That's the thing, the noise from the shorties. I don't have suppressor and probably won't be getting one for a while if I decide to pony up the dollars and paper work. I want this set up to be somewhat amenable to the wife and other family members if they are in need to repel borders when I'm not around.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Is there much difference in recoil pulse, noise, muzzle movement between them? I'd hazard a guess there'd be a noticeable difference in muzzle blast between the 10.5 and the 16"?

The 10.5" is noticeably louder.

As far as recoil impulse, it doesn't really seem much different. One thing to add to that is that I have been using the H3 buffer in all my carbine buttstocks lately. It smooths all of them out very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read the flash hider does not reduce flash or lower recoil. It's design is to send the noise forward.
I can say with varget I can see a big fireball. I shoot mine at an outdoor covered building, and it does echo. I think it is louder than an A2 flash hider on a 16.
I don't think the noise is prohibitive, but noise is the trade off for utility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd def get a suppressor if I was considering indoors with a rifle round.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10.5” or 11.5” is the sweet spot for me with AR pistols. They are the perfect size for any home protection/CQB type situation imho.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Home defense?
That depends entirely where home is.

I live way out in the country and my nearest neighbor is over 600 yards from me with my 2nd closest neighbor being 1.6 miles away.
My home defense weapon is a full power FAL with 165 grain elk killers in it.
Why?

Why not!
I shoot it well, I have no one else in my home and I can and have have hit running deer with this rifle at distances as close as 4 yards and as far as 375 yards. So I don't have a gun strictly for "home defense". I just have some guns.

Any gun will do if you can use it well. Knowing a bit about fighting is far more important then the tool you use in the fight.

Last edited by szihn; 03/26/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For pistol length, 11.5 is the sweet spot.

Carbines at 14.5 + attached muzzle device makes it legal

Rifles are 20” for me.

I have one pistol, a couple carbines and a couple rifles.

The pistol, a piston 11.5” with a can, covers just about everything, though.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

The 10.5' is noticeably louder.

As far as recoil impulse, it doesn't really seem much different. One thing to add to that is that I have been using the H3 buffer in all my carbine buttstocks lately. It smooths all of them out very well.

I'll look into the H3, thanks.

Originally Posted by Terryk
I read the flash hider does not reduce flash or lower recoil. It's design is to send the noise forward.
I can say with varget I can see a big fireball. I shoot mine at an outdoor covered building, and it does echo. I think it is louder than an A2 flash hider on a 16.
I don't think the noise is prohibitive, but noise is the trade off for utility.

I've wondered how those work. But yeah, loud is loud.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You can find the H3 buffers at Midway (I've got Colt and AR-Stoner), or you can buy the tungsten weights, and adjust your standard carbine buffer. I've done it both ways, very easy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=H3+buffer&userItemsPerPage=48

https://pur-tungsten.com/product/tungsten-recoil-buffer-weights/

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Understand where you're coming from Steve, and I do have bigger stuff, but I live in a small house in the thick woods of NW. Mt., slightly "tighter" circumstances and shorter ranges. Also my wife would be remiss if I handed her an M1A or the 06, and said "have at it". I think she'll like the poodle shooter mo beda.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve moved through a few houses with ARs and here’s my takeaways:
-Short rifles help tremendously moving in and out of vehicles.
-Short rifles help tremendously moving in and around other guys with rifles.

And when folks think of “CQB” they look around and see short rifles, without considering that those short rifles are also a byproduct of their users having to arrive at a house with other guys and move around them.

For one guy moving through a house mostly by himself, a 16” gun isn’t as much of a hindrance as you’d think. At least IME. A shorter gun is easier, but certainly not necessary.

your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=SBTCO but with shorter length comes more blast and noise(does it really matter indoors?!)[/quote]

SBTCO,

Matters much more indoors than out in the open... It depends upon how small the room is and wall construction (concrete and block are the worst), but one shot from a 5.56 pistol in an enclosed room without a suppressor or hearing protection will probably result in serious hearing damage.

I've got 6.5 and a 30 caliber suppressors, they really attenuate the 5.56 muzzle noise (The blast but not the supersonic crack).

I do not have one, but there are suppressors that are designed to be pinned & spot welded to bring your barrel length out to or past 16 inches so that you do not need an SBR Stamp.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you considered a PCC? I've a gen 2 sig MPX with the brace. Thing is amazing. Very accurate. Out to 70 feet it's one hole if I put the effort into it. I shot between 1000 and 1500 rounds before cleaning and it still wasn't that dirty. Very easy to move with.

For home defense, if it gets to that, I'll be using the mpx.

I

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
..Do you prefer for home defense? I've been shooting a 16" mid length Troy Industries upper but haven't handled anything shorter. I like the Troy as it stands so considering a shorter build dedicated to the home defense role. I see the obvious handling advantages of running a shorter barrel in a pistol config. but with shorter length comes more blast and noise(does it really matter indoors?!). Is there a sweet spot? Distances anticipated run from indoor to close outdoor(50-70yrds).

I have 2 20" uppers. One is an M-16 look alike and the other is a fluted heavy barrel. Neither one leave the safe. I have taken my 16" mid lengths to the range 3 times as much as anything else. I have some 14.5 mid lengths and some 14.5 carbine lengths. They get out but not like the 16" mid lengths. They are my go to rifles. I'm still haven't invested in a pistol. I just not in love with them, yet.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 03/26/20.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.