Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bamagun01
I am that business owner (with partners) that is helping rebuild our downtown area one block from the local university. We have won awards and praise for the community because of the revitalization we’ve brought back to our small town. We’re in the process of renovating another building. My partners and I currently own five restaurants, a couple of bars and a boutique hotel. We employ around 100 plus employees. This is devastating on us! Our restaurants have dropped 75% in business and we’ve laid almost all of our employees off. Down to only salaries managers and they have taken cuts. The hotel has only one room rented every few days. The governor made us close the bars and dining rooms. We still owe the banks.
Yes, hopefully we’ll make it through and have a vibrant rebound. But when you have a incredibly large bank note and employ many people that rely on you for their livelihood it’s tough. I look to my employees as friends or my family and to have to lay them off in order for the company to survive is tough.
We have spoken to the banks and we’ll pay them off but if we have to pay all of the notes with no help or assistance we would go bankrupt and our city would loose a tremendous amount of tax revenue.
It’s more to this than just helping a couple of families.
God bless us all!

I'm truly sorry for you and definitely hope for the best for you and your employees. Entrepreneurship is what makes this nation. I truly hope the bailout addresses in a meaningful way the issues faced by you and all the others in every little town across the country.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am that business owner (with partners) that is helping rebuild our downtown area one block from the local university. We have won awards and praise for the community because of the revitalization we’ve brought back to our small town. We’re in the process of renovating another building. My partners and I currently own five restaurants, a couple of bars and a boutique hotel. We employ around 100 plus employees. This is devastating on us! Our restaurants have dropped 75% in business and we’ve laid almost all of our employees off. Down to only salaries managers and they have taken cuts. The hotel has only one room rented every few days. The governor made us close the bars and dining rooms. We still owe the banks.
Yes, hopefully we’ll make it through and have a vibrant rebound. But when you have a incredibly large bank note and employ many people that rely on you for their livelihood it’s tough. I look to my employees as friends or my family and to have to lay them off in order for the company to survive is tough.
We have spoken to the banks and we’ll pay them off but if we have to pay all of the notes with no help or assistance we would go bankrupt and our city would loose a tremendous amount of tax revenue.
God bless us all!

I think your banks should consider placing the next 6 months of payments at the back of your loans.
Basically just extend the loans 6 months while waiving the next 6 months of payments.

If they don't find a way to get creative with this un-necessary foreclosures will abound.
There isn't any need for this, we will pull out of this in grand order but lack of flexibility is going to have grave consequences.
Time for a heart to heart group huddle with your investment team and your bankers.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They have damn good cheesecake!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
God bless us all!

I think your banks should consider placing the next 6 months of payments at the back of your loans.
Basically just extend the loans 6 months while waiving the next 6 months of payments.

If they don't find a way to get creative with this un-necessary foreclosures will abound.
There isn't any need for this, we will pull out of this in grand order but lack of flexibility is going to have grave consequences.
Time for a heart to heart group huddle with your investment team and your bankers.

We are working with the banks and they have been very generous! We’ll work through this.
As one of my partners always says. “ Borrow $2 million and your just a customer. Borrow $20 million and you become a partner!” Banks seem to make it work when it could close them also.
Thanks for your concern.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is directed at the Cheesecake Factory. They opened a new one in the area about 6 months ago in a old, but popular mall. My wife loved the one in Vegas so I relented and took her and the boys. 2 hour wait. Place was overbooked. Took forever to get waited on. Food was average, chain type stuff. The cheese cake was good however. Bill came to $150 for 4 people. Wouldn't bitch about it if it was a good dining experience. It was average at best. I'll not be going back.

As for restaurants and other small businesses, when I was in college, the average failure rate of restaurants was 80%. I'm sure with this thing, those that are on the edge won't make it. Those who have a solid foundations are going to feel pain, but come out breathing. I like the idea that was mentioned previously of a 6 month grace and add it on the back end. Maybe interest only payments. They do deserve some sort of relief from a gov't mandated shutdown. You can bet GM, Ford, and Fiat are going to ask for something.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is that chain still in business? Last time I was there they had a bunch of way over priced [bleep] chicken dishes! I suppose all the poodles eating cheesecake is the only reason they survive.

If I’m the landlord, gtho.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cake factory is a publicly traded company with a current market cap of $850 million. I would say you are giving me company stock or a note. If you aren’t paying. In leiu of that I wait till they open up again and say 3 day notice to pay or vacate. Blanketly saying no pay is bs

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Bad times to be in the restaurant business, and our family has a couple restaurants that we've leased out. Our leases are based off a percentage of the gross income, and around 2% of the gross goes to taxes and insurance. The worst thing for us is the tourist season in Florida is over and our best quarter will be our worst this year. Every dollar that you didn't make you'll never see it again. We need things to get back to normal ASAP.

Hasn't the bulk of the tourist season already passed?
Seems by April first things normally slow down rather rapidly.

Not insinuating that you will not occur related losses but the bulk of the 1st quarter should already be in the bank.

The balance of the year going forward is another thing.....Best of luck...

Historically the tourist leave after Easter, the Coronavirus talked and warm weather up north slowed things down towards the end of February. Hopefully the kitchen help, food servers and bar tenders will get a little bit of the stimulus money. Times are tough in the restaurant business and the only thing that is helping us, is a great waterfront location and our family has no mortgage payments on the building or land. We'll be fine if we can get back to work. Thanks for the well wishes.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven't heard the states complaining about the lack of sales tax revenues.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Yep the chick from Shark Tank (Barbara) was advising business to do that...

No worries though - the tax payers will pick up the tab ?

Just who’s 2 Trillion dollars was that anyway ?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the businesses doing this are going to claim force majeure:

"chance occurrence, unavoidable accident",[1] is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, plague, or an event described by the legal term act of God (hurricane, flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, etc.), prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

I’m not a lawyer, or deal in the legality of things like this, but I have no doubt that this is a direction many will head. I don’t believe the precedent has been set in regard to this, at least in the US. It makes me wonder that if you were upside down on a house if there could be something like this in a contract. No idea, but it is in many contracts I’ve reviewed over the last several years.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am sure the contract between the two will dictate.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most of these problems surface, and get bad, when the flow of money is slowed. Everyone has bills to be paid, if only utilities, taxes, etc.
Not every lender can be completely forgiving, as much as I wish they could.
Gonna hurt everybody.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Many businesses are on the edge, cutting off cash flow may be fatal. Hopefully the landlords are in it for the long run, if they aren’t, they will probably just be hurting themselves.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Schit...we are all in this together aint we?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
With this barely a month in and so much talk of not being able to pay bills, I have to ask, doesn’t anybody put money in the bank for a rainy day ? You got people talking about not being able to make house payment already.

When the money dries up, there is no such thing as good debt.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
With this barely a month in and so much talk of not being able to pay bills, I have to ask, doesn’t anybody put money in the bank for a rainy day ? You got people talking about not being able to make house payment already.

Personal finances and business finances are two different things. Especially if you operate your business on a cash basis.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Personal finances and business finances are two different things. Especially if you operate your business on a cash basis.

So a business doesn’t have a savings account for a just in case scenario like a household does ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So a business doesn’t have a savings account for a just in case scenario like a household does ?

Those that embrace the modern MBA continuous growth thinking usually don’t have much.

Their idea is that holding cash is a sin as it should always be reinvested in things that expand the business, used for acquisition, etc. They also believe that excess cash encourages businesses to ignore excessive expenses and agency costs.

This is plainly stupid but business schools keep cranking out people who think this way.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Those that embrace the modern MBA continuous growth thinking usually don’t have much.

Their idea is that holding cash is a sin as it should always be reinvested in things that expand the business, used for acquisition, etc. They also believe that excess cash encourages businesses to ignore excessive expenses and agency costs.

This is plainly stupid but business schools keep cranking out people who think this way.

I suppose these are the same experts that would invest extra cash instead of paying something off early ? It sure is nice to know if push comes to shove I could work at Walmart if needed and still make it since we have no debt.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 50 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.