Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Not trying to start a Leupold war . Just curious of those of you that have these what do you think ? Any tracking problems with these ? Just your honest opinion . Thanks

Kirk Furniss
BP-B2

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hello,

I have a few Leupolds, VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3i on 22s up to 30-06 (and 12 / 20 gauge slug guns). I have never had any problems. I have some lever actions and single shots and the thin, streamline eye piece leaves plenty of room to cock the hammer without having to mount the scope higher than low or med rings. The VX-1s that I have use friction turrets instead of click turrets, they work fine, just feel a little weird because I've always had click turrets. I can't really tell any optical deferences between the VX-1 and VX-2, but I can tell the glass is better on my VX-3i. I have some Weaver 40/44 series scopes and the glass seems about the same as the VX-1 and VX-2, but the VX-3i glass is better. Let me know if have any specific questions.

* I don't have any of the newer Freedom series, so I can't give any feedback on them.

Last edited by MOW; 03/26/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Glass is really good at the price point....”almost” VX-3 quality.

Sighting one it is a unique challenge due to erratic consistency of the turrets.

Never kept one long enough to comment on durability.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
100 plus rounds through my 444 Marlin and still no issues and that includes tracking during sighting in...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have three of the Freedom series, all 3-9x40 mm.

Pros: The optics are excellent, especially at the price point, eye relief is excellent, the eye-box is easy to get behind. I sighted one in yesterday and it tracked just fine, they are a good value IMO.

Cons: The adjustments are mushy and indistinct, they can be felt but it requires paying attention to them for the feedback. I hate the looks of the angular adjustment housing - too modernistic looking for my taste, it ruins the looks of what would be a nice looking scope otherwise.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Leupold VX 1 2-7x33mm shotgun scope on my Henry .45 Colt. Works as it should . No flies here.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bud has the Freedom VX 3-9x rimfire, dialed right in.
I had the EFR version and it dialed right in too. Both held zero.
Sold mine, as the eyepiece being a tube and not a bell, looked funky on my rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wondering on the 3x9x40 if anyone has had trouble not having enough down adjustment. I think these scopes have a 60 MOA total adjustment. I put a new one on girls gun and can't adjust to shoot at 50 yards, it remains around four inches high at impact. When I did the mirror trick and lined up the recticles, I have 35 moa of dial up and only 15 moa downward dial movement. The windage is fairly evenly split at, 20 moa left and 19 right. So the vertical is off center imo and less than 60 total at 50 moa. The windage is total of 39 moa. So, I have sent it back. Tech wanted to know where my impact was and setting to provide shims. What's the Campfire experts on glass say. BTW, I mounted an old VXIII and within a few clicks was dead on at 50 Yards. This is a centerfire and will eventually be set at 200 yards, but couldn't get a start at 50.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
N
N
Originally Posted by drover
I have three of the Freedom series, all 3-9x40 mm.

Pros: The optics are excellent, especially at the price point, eye relief is excellent, the eye-box is easy to get behind. I sighted one in yesterday and it tracked just fine, they are a good value IMO.

Cons: The adjustments are mushy and indistinct, they can be felt but it requires paying attention to them for the feedback. I hate the looks of the angular adjustment housing - too modernistic looking for my taste, it ruins the looks of what would be a nice looking scope otherwise.

drover

This echos my experience. The mushy adjustments are annoying.

That being said I have a 1.5-4x that once sighted in for point blank, I won't be adjusting again if I can help it. Otherwise I imagine it'll do the job just fine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’m running two 3-9X40 on a .308 and a 7mm-08. I’ll agree with the previous posts regarding “mushy” adjustments. Both track decently and hold their zero well.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For a "set it and forget it" scope they are just fine.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
2-7X Freedom VX, slapped it on my CZ455.
Clicked right in.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A local store had about a dozen 4-12X40's priced at $199 OTD. I bought one just because it seemed like a lot of scope for the money. It looks good to me, but I've not mounted it on anything yet. When introduced Leupold claimed it was the same glass as the now discontinued VX-2.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m in the “set it and forget it” camp so really couldn’t give a hoot about repeated turret twisting. I have a 2-7 VX-1 on my 7x57, a 3-9 VX-1 on a .257 Roberts and an older Leupold 2-7 compact that is on my .22RF.
They all have no-click adjustments which doesn’t bother me in the least. They all are easy to zero and hold the zero once it’s set.
I find the glass quality to be clear and distortion free and their dawn to dusk performance more than adequate for any legal light shooting.
I can’t give an opinion on the performance of the new Leupolds however the new modernistic look gives me the fantods. They look like something you’d find in a Lego set. Leupold must have some millennials in their design department.

Last edited by Bobber257; 04/10/20.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blackpowder72: Mine seem to be "working" fine. I am not a constant turret twister though on any of my guns.
Now and then, but not constant.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They seem close to a Vx III to me or the VX II glass with VX 3i coatings. I am thinking about getting the 2-7x since they don't make a 3i version of that and the old VX II was always a favorite for it's size weight and ideal magnification range for the hunting I do. Not quite as good as the 3i in low light but more than adequate. I am going to see if I can swap out the turret covers.

708Fan I would ask for a replacement as that is a manufacturing flaw on the out of center reticle, maybe that's within Leupolds acceptable standards but not mine. Shimming that much seems like it would put stress on the scope.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think the latest version of the 2x7 has quite a bit shorter mounting dimensions, making it a nonstarter on a long action for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own around 70 Leupold scopes, but nothing newer than a VX2.

From what I have read on this site, people who twist turrets don't care for Leupold scopes, while people who set them for a specific load/range are at least satisfied.

I've owned Leupold scopes and binoculars for over 50 years and have only returned them for routine cleaning, on a very old Vari-X, and for reticle changes back when they did that sort of thing at a fair price. Needless to say, I'm a set and leave 'em satisfied user.

I have never understood why Leupold confused things by keeping the VX-I and VX-II names when they upgraded the lenses in 2004 or why they just changed the Roman Numerals to Arabic Numerals in 2012. When you say the name, VX-I sounds the same a VX-1 and VX-II sounds the same as VX-2. They sure know how to confuse things and make buying a used scope a challenge, since if you pay for the better lens coatings on a VX-2, you don't want to be surprised with an early VX-II when you open the box.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe that's why they changed the series numerals. I'm sure Leupold would rather you buy a new Leupold from their dealers than a used one from anyone. More on the bottom line. RJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called and asked Leupold about the Freedom line. They said it has the same quality glass as the VX3 line with the intervals of the VX2 line. I have several and I’ve got no issue with any of them. I’m a set it and forget it guy.

You ain't about that life.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.