Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I sit here as I contemplate my upcoming hunt on Kodiak, questioning where this will end.....

I have been planning a hunt to Kodiak since tag results came out 18 some months ago. Everything is ready to go but me. As of now, airlines are threatening to shut down, Alaska just issuedd a 14 day self-quarantine to anyone flying to the state like myself. All be it, there no better quarantine then being tossed out of a float plane onto Kodiak for 14 days.

Now to the post, Im having second thoughts about even leaving, not about the hunt. Flying during these times is not the same as always. Seems like airports are ghost towns. Im hearing rumors of ADFG trying to come up with alternatives to maybe postponing the season to the fall or even another year. Has anyone heard anything like this or have any thoughts on the idea.

No one knows where we will be next week right now let alone 3 weeks from now. Trying times as of now....

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My only consideration would be what I was leaving behind. I don't like the idea of leaving my family to fend for themselves should the TP hoarding crowd turn even stupider.

Otherwise, go hunt. It will likely be a PITA, but worth it.

Assuming this is a bear hunt, what does the guide have to say about it?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would be talking to the guide. Chances are that your mind will be made up for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, talk to the guide and send an email to F&G and ask them what their thoughts are on it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
No guide on this one. Me and my brother both have tags and he's a resident. Sho with that being said I don't have much invested in this trip yet and can get my flights reimbursed

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
Chances are that your mind will be made up for you.

Right now the models have us peaking (covid cases) first week of May. As the numbers continue to rise, I expect further travel restrictions. Know that if you somehow manage to make it up here ... there is a real possibility you may not make it out for a while. May just be part of the adventure ... or may be a real problem, depending on your circumstances. Hopefully the models are wrong and this thing is all overblown, but I can honestly say I wouldn’t be voluntarily leaving my family right now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Last edited by 14Homer; 03/25/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
I would be talking to the guide. Chances are that your mind will be made up for you.

I agree... I have a May 10 Peninsula bear hunt. All set and ready.
Wonder if I can spend my 14 days quarantined in a tent on the beach.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few thoughts:
This does not look like an unusual year so far and the season runs through the 15th of May. I have always found the first two weeks of May best for finding really big bears. But the risk of badly rubbed bears is real.

Setting the hunt back for a couple weeks may provide a bit of clarity...

However... the docs predict a peak in cases around the middle of May...

Believe them and go early... or ignore them and go later.

Or back out...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Family always comes first.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Family always comes first.

Not just your family but our family,s also

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If feasible, come up two weeks early and complete your quarantine at your brother's (or other accommodations).

I would also be checking with your float plane service as to what they are doing and what their policy is. They likely won't want the exposure to someone fresh off a commercial flight.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't be surprised if there are almost no flights to AK soon and if the spring bear is totally cancelled. Sure seems like high probability from what I am hearing.

I mean hunting wise how many folks have extra 2 weeks just to hang out somewhere... and costly for most etc..

It just does not seem like season will happen to me and RE the flights, what I"ve heard is they are going to cut way back at a minimum

I'd be planning to postpone anything there this spring.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alaska Air just cut flights by 70%.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like your question was answered today...

No movement from community to community and they only say they will review it by the 21st...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.