Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Sorry boys, I can't add anything here.

All our guns are factory, shoot factory & are unanimously unmolested.

I know we must be doing something wrong, but our freezers are full !

Nutt’n to be sorry about Paul...I’ve kilt more fur with box rifles than customs...I had a good run with a SFII Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra, a Weatherby FiberMark in 30-378 that hosed some good bulls at decent distance and a fine shooting Winchester Mod 70 CRF in 300 Roy that is the only rifle I truly regret sending down the road.

I did have to tweak every box rig by swapping out triggers and doing some light relief work on the stocks, but eventually they all did me proud.

😎

I have one of those and a Winchester M 70 .270 Wby in my gunsafe. They will not be sold or traded away while I'm alive.

Yep....Smart man!

I was young and thinking I could find something better. It took several rifles bought and sold before I was able to buy back the accuracy I had with that one sweet shooting rifle. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Higbean: Not me!
I quit buying and building "custom Rifles" many years ago!
Main reason EXPENSE!
Expense that is very difficult (impossible?) to recover when one goes to sell said custom Rifles.
Factory Rifles are a much better (more efficient, more intelligent) expenditure of ones monies in my opinion and in my experience.
And mind you I began buying/putting together custom Rifles more than 50 years ago!
Been there - done that!
As of today I buy more Rifles than 99.9% of all gun owners in America and for the last 15 years or so NONE of them have been "customs".
Again, they are simply to expensive, to time consuming and they "realize" to little of ones initial investments when it comes time to sell them.
Factory Rifles come in an amazing plethora of models, calibers, styles, brands and price ranges nowadays - I have simply learned that my money is better "invested" in factory offerings anymore.
In fact I am in the process of buying an all factory Rifle this week (for $750.00 delivered - no sales tax), that to duplicate, via the "custom route" would cost near 3 (three times that much) and who knows when it would be "completed"!
I once waited just over a year for a relatively "simple" custom Varmint Rifle to be "completed" (NO stockwork!)!
Those days are done for me - but I hold NO grudge or animosity towards anyone who chooses to spend their money in that direction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, but you’re also a self described tight ass that won’t spend an extra $25 bucks on a scope if you think waiting 6 months you’ll find another one on a table at a gun show for less....Laffin. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have to agree with VG, I have a number of custom rifles, that I will never come close to recovering the $ I have sunk into them... My factory jobs, I might loose some or even make some... How ever the custom ones are built the way I like and that is something...

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have to agree with VG, I have a number of custom rifles, that I will never come close to recovering the $ I have sunk into them... My factory jobs, I might loose some or even make some... How ever the custom ones are built the way I like and that is something...

Yep, there are some great factory options, a guy sure as hell don't have to build this day and age. When I build, I've got a specific use for it, depending on where\what I'm huntin.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Higbean: Not me!
I quit buying and building "custom Rifles" many years ago!
Main reason EXPENSE!
Expense that is very difficult (impossible?) to recover when one goes to sell said custom Rifles.
Factory Rifles are a much better (more efficient, more intelligent) expenditure of ones monies in my opinion and in my experience.
And mind you I began buying/putting together custom Rifles more than 50 years ago!
Been there - done that!
As of today I buy more Rifles than 99.9% of all gun owners in America and for the last 15 years or so NONE of them have been "customs".
Again, they are simply to expensive, to time consuming and they "realize" to little of ones initial investments when it comes time to sell them.
Factory Rifles come in an amazing plethora of models, calibers, styles, brands and price ranges nowadays - I have simply learned that my money is better "invested" in factory offerings anymore.
In fact I am in the process of buying an all factory Rifle this week (for $750.00 delivered - no sales tax), that to duplicate, via the "custom route" would cost near 3 (three times that much) and who knows when it would be "completed"!
I once waited just over a year for a relatively "simple" custom Varmint Rifle to be "completed" (NO stockwork!)!
Those days are done for me - but I hold NO grudge or animosity towards anyone who chooses to spend their money in that direction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, but you’re also a self described tight ass that won’t spend an extra $25 bucks on a scope if you think waiting 6 months you’ll find another one on a table at a gun show for less....Laffin. 😎

Haha 😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Depends on the factory and WHAT you want to do with said factory arm.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Yep, there are some great factory options, a guy sure as hell don't have to build this day and age. When I build, I've got a specific use for it, depending on where\what I'm huntin.

Amen, resale doesn’t mean nothin to me. I buy em to hunt.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

VarmintGuy

As the old saying goes - 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I am curious exactly how you arrived at the "fact" that you buy more rifles that 99.9% of all gun owners in America.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure he's exactly at 99.9 but no doubt VG buys lots of guns, way more than many at least. I say whatever floats your boat and fits your budget. I do think a lot of the factory rifles these days are dang accurate. Some seem to fall short when it comes to QC but if you can fix problems like stock bedding or a rough trigger that can usually be addressed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What just exactly does " don't mean schidt" mean when it comes to rifles?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most important thing to me is how well it shoots. They almost always wind up being re-stocked, or at least getting a new barrel, or both anyway. But still I've had only a couple factory guns that shot just so-so, And never a bad Remington. Sold an early Rem. 700V-.223 to my shooting partner. It was in mint, like new condition, and I wasn't gonna be the one to violate it. He'll put it on paper and get groups in the .2's, He's a real happy camper and the thing is a varmint's nightmare. Last time messing with factory barrels I screwed a new takeoff .223 stainless fluted Rem. varmint barrel onto an old 722 action, put it in an old Rem. classic stock (unbedded). Its favorite 50BT load shoots very low .2's at very respectable velocity. A junkyard dog but all factory. Nothing wrong with that.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got several factory rifles.

I dig my Montanas, but they all got diff tubes on em.

Tikka CTR would might make the short list of factory guns I'd buy along with a 7/08 FC.

Lego rifles and AICS mags are more in my wheelhouse these days I suppose.

Love them AICS mags and find a rifle not equipped with one rather unfortunate.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dude, I beg to differ. I owe a lot of factory rifles that are right there with custom rifles. Sure, my BACO Winchester Model 70 JOC Tribute came off of a production line, but I like it better than most of the Rem700 or Big Horn Action composite rifles made up of a speciality barrel, a speciality trigger, and a speciality stock. I have a couple of Mannlichers that came off of a production line and they are really made to function probably better and are more accurate than a bubbaized 98 or 03. I have a model 52 Cooper in 30/06 that is pretty nifty. I also think that many of the semi-custom makers like Nosler or Fierce aren't quite custom rifles but they are very good nonetheless. These are just my views. I have a couple of custom rifles as well. I just find that the differences between factory rifles and custom rifles are less unless you go to bespoke or maybe Etchols.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I wasn’t so invested in Tikkas at this point, I’d be doing the LEGO rifle thing with a bighorn action and some prefit barrels as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think factory rifle quality and value really went downhill a couple decades ago. Two of the last three factory rifles I have bought were defective and I had to return them. One was a higher end bolt action and the other a gorgeous lever action. Oddly, the one that wasn’t defective and pleasantly surprised me was an AR. I once waited two years with only one update for a custom rifle. I honestly thought I would never hear back from the builder. More than a year after I gave up on it, it just showed up on my doorstep. But then again, several years ago I had a custom SML built and it was fairly quick and turned out to be an amazing rifle I still use often.
For what it’s worth, I don’t seem to have much trouble finding some great values in handguns. Not surprising then that’s where I’ve been spending more of my money lately.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Quite honestly, I’m just glad to be talking about something other than Corona.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don’t think 2-to-4,000 dollar custom rifles are worth going down that road when you can buy factory rifles with great barrels and reliable actions for just a fraction of that expense.

Then, if it turns out needing an accuracy-tweak, it generally is only the bedding and/or some trigger work.

Then, I take the money-saved and pour it down the gaping hole in the water I have...... My Boat!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

... Seekins, and the rest of the $1600 price tag offerings from other mfg’s are still a hit/miss in the accuracy.

I guess I've been fortunate with the ones I've owned. Two Seekins and six Fieldcrafts have been under MOA with the first thing I fed them. Just mount a scope, sight-in, and you're done. Only 3 of those had a decent number of rounds through them, the rest were just sight-in and check drops so perhaps they had other issues.

I was impressed with the accuracy of a Ruger Precision Rifle a while back. It shot a 20 shot group from 300 yards that amazed me. Not really a hunting rifle and not my flavor of rifle but it could stack the rounds.

Build a custom to get EXACTLY what you want. Enjoy them, I do....but there's some off the shelf options out there that are essentially custom actions, barrels, stocks, put together right...just in a generic format.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As of today I buy more Rifles than 99.9% of all gun owners in America.

Per always, you're completely full-of-szchit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
I guess I'm a "jazz snob" of sorts, but I haven't cared what any of the big name rifle mfg'ers are building for quite a while now.

Fieldcraft was cool, but that's about it.

I can't be the only one.

Who's with me?

I guess I still prefer things exactly the way I like but if Tikka decides to chamber the 22 Creedmoor, I'll likely get on board.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.