-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1) Frank De Haas.....He took guns apart to analyze them. So do I, but he was better.
2) Parker Ackley....He did controlled destructive test on guns. So do I, but he was better.
3) Jerry Kuhnhausen.... His books on Colts were so good and his Mauser book so bad... I am just guessing why
4) Frank C Barnes.... I wish I consulted the bible as often as Cartridges of the World.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
1) Frank De Haas.....He took guns apart to analyze them. So do I, but he was better.
2) Parker Ackley....He did controlled destructive test on guns. So do I, but he was better.
3) Jerry Kuhnhausen.... His books on Colts were so good and his Mauser book so bad... I am just guessing why
4) Frank C Barnes.... I wish I consulted the bible as often as Cartridges of the World.

I'm a fair hand at taking guns apart. It's putting them back together where I come up lacking.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, you spoke to having clients that had those hi tech triggers with enclosed trigger housings freezing up on hunts and I think a big bear was getting away and maybe the client was handed another rifle. I was raised on the old Mod. 70 and Springfield 03A3 triggers. I still prefer them for hunting here in Alaska and have never had an issue with them. But, I have seen a few trigger issues on other guns with enclosed triggers and super light pull weights.

I will keep looking for the article. I hope my old memory is not messed up again. Any way, I enjoy what you write and wish you could do more of it. Just a book on your brown bear stories would be a good read. Spring is almost here and I am sure it is time to get the camps ready and I hope the darn virus does not interfere with your season. Best wishes.

P.S. When you write that bear book sign a copy for me please.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
1Akshooter,

A number of people have been encouraging Phil to get that damn book done!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How come I'm the only one that ever double posts. Darn back button,,,,,,,

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 03/26/20.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There's a delete button.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patrick F. McManus was more of a life coach than a gun scribe, but I have to add him.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
1Akshooter,

A number of people have been encouraging Phil to get that damn book done!

At least this damned virus shutdown is giving me time to work on it. I have already made the editorial corrections my son pointed out this week.

And yes I have railed on about hunters, especially bear hunters, who seem to think that delicate, fragile target triggers will help them on an Alaskan hunt. And will continue to as I have witnessed some spectacular, and often dangerous, failures.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

Am not surprised--both about the getting writing done, and the triggers! (In fact I may be the reason some remember you doing an article on triggers, since I've mentioned your comments to me here and there.)

Have been cranking away of GUN GACK III the past 10 days or so, though the basics were already in the computer. Eileen has been putting them into the publishing program--which may seem the hard part is over. Not so! Still have to get everything arranged to her standards--which means I get grilled about writing, photos, and that nebulous "other stuff"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Clark,

Have all of those (along with the Kuhnhausen S&W revolver book). While De Haas is a great adjunct to Otteson, if I had to choose one it would be Otteson. But together they provide a great overview.

Ackley's books also contain some interesting stuff, but contain some errors, due his assumptions about pressure. He was not an engineer like Otteson.

Have several editions of COTW. In recent editions, so many editors have gone over it that a few mistakes have appeared--often not actually their fault but mistakes in other references they consulted. One thing I have noticed is that some recent editors eliminated historic information that was far more interesting to some of us than the "trendy" info they substituted. Consequently, the edition I keep handy for lookin' stuff up is my oldest.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Frank De Haas lived only a couple blocks from me in my small hometown. By the time I recognized his work for what it was — maybe early’80’s, he was a quiet, old man and almost completely blind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Phil Shoemaker "458 Win.", writes very well, but not nearly enough. He wrote an article on triggers years ago that probably didn't make him very popular. But, as a brown bear guide he has first hand knowledge of how important a reliable trigger is. I wish I could find the article again, as I personally believe the trigger is the most important part of a rifle. If it does not work as intended then it gets interesting in a hurry."

Per 458Win
I wish you could find the article also as I don't remember ever writing a piece on triggers. Maybe that was why it written so poorly. But as a former competitive target shooter I certainly agree with you on the singular importance of a good trigger !

Dang Phil,

I have searched high and low for the trigger info I convinced myself you wrote. Maybe it was not a complete article, but tossed in with another article. At 69 my total recall is probably lacking, but I still believe it was you.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
John "Pondoro" Taylor and his book, "African Rifles and Cartridges."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I believe Taylor's book was already prominently mentioned, but it sure deserves to be mentioned again.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the writers in Precision Shooting Magazine...........

John Amber’s thoughts on guns are enjoyed.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 04/04/20.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.