Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14709003 03/26/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wonder how the virus will impact red fishing on the Kenai, dippers and guides fishing the Kenai and Kasilof for Kings. Heck who wants to spend all day on a charter boat trying to hook two halibut while surrounded by others that have been traveling.

Not a good outlook in my opinion.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I wonder how the virus will impact red fishing on the Kenai, dippers and guides fishing the Kenai and Kasilof for Kings. Heck who wants to spend all day on a charter boat trying to hook two halibut while surrounded by others that have been traveling.

Not a good outlook in my opinion.

Bristol Bay is looking pretty strange too. The cannery workers for the most part are from oversea's and now day's the residents are only a small numbers of boats and crews. King Salmon and Naknek are not happy about the upcoming summer with partions and quarenteens all being discussed!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depending on when we get the "all clear" it's going to be an interesting Summer, hell even fall hunting could get thrown into a tizzy.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by waterrat
Bristol Bay is looking pretty strange too. The cannery workers for the most part are from oversea's and now day's the residents are only a small numbers of boats and crews. King Salmon and Naknek are not happy about the upcoming summer with partions and quarenteens all being discussed!

Yeah, and as usual the boroughs completely self centered in their thinking.
Many Bristol Bay residents travel extensively over the winter, more than a dozen I know of have recently returned home from various locations in the lower 48 and around the globe.

The Canneries are equally concerned of what the residents themselves have introduced to these communities..
A few of the larger companies have already blown off buying for the Togiak Herring run just due to prices so there will be fewer early arrivals for sure.

Lets hope by the time they are looking at staffing up for this season Red run, this BS will be behind us. The canneries can hold off until the first of June before the bulk of the processors need to start showing up....

It'd be real easy for the canneries to lock their gates and keep their employees isolated through out the entire run.

I bet Naknek Trading, Fishermans, Hatfields, D&D's and the Red Dog would really love that......

Clipped from a recent email sent from a cannery type that is involved in current talks with the borough...
Naknek is freaking out. Funny to listen to them blame "the canneries" for everything. I know for a fact that at least 15 residents spent their winter abroad, italy, australia, thailand, china, and every one of them went back to naknek sicker than schit. Every other resident travels back and forth to anchorage and Seattle regularly. No way they hadn't been in contact with the virus well before it was a known issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking it will be the best worst season ever. No clients, just guides fishing with family and friends!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Thinking it will be the best worst season ever. No clients, just guides fishing with family and friends!

May depend on how many AK residents are out of work. In their effort to "fish for food", they may out pace the missing tourist. Won't help the guides much, but could come into play for shore fishing and dipnetting.

Last edited by JimInAK; 03/26/20. Reason: grammar
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
[Linked Image]

And that is "The Sanctuary!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I plan on catching a some serious limits this summer. Pretty good chance I won’t be fighting 200 guides for my spot at 3am like recent years. Hopefully we get some Kings to fish for this spring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA

Many Bristol Bay residents travel extensively over the winter, more than a dozen I know of have recently returned home from various locations in the lower 48 and around the globe.

The Canneries are equally concerned of what the residents themselves have introduced to these communities..
A few of the larger companies have already blown off buying for the Togiak Herring run just due to prices so there will be fewer early arrivals for sure.

Lets hope by the time they are looking at staffing up for this season Red run, this BS will be behind us. The canneries can hold off until the first of June before the bulk of the processors need to start showing up....

It'd be real easy for the canneries to lock their gates and keep their employees isolated through out the entire run.It's goiny

I bet Naknek Trading, Fishermans, Hatfields, D&D's and the Red Dog would really love that......

Clipped from a recent email sent from a cannery type that is involved in current talks with the borough...
Naknek is freaking out. Funny to listen to them blame "the canneries" for everything. I know for a fact that at least 15 residents spent their winter abroad, italy, australia, thailand, china, and every one of them went back to naknek sicker than schit. Every other resident travels back and forth to anchorage and Seattle regularly. No way they hadn't been in contact with the virus well before it was a known issue.

It's going be a nasty year for many including me, my bargeing on the lake depends on BB $ and my son fish's in the bay. I would imagine our sportfishing will be great but many will suffer. There are a few longtime residents that travel quite a bit but that's not a speck compared to the 1000's coming in from around the world! Do I know you Jeff?

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Cant wait!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

It'd be real easy for the canneries to lock their gates and keep their employees isolated through out the entire run.It's goiny

It's going be a nasty year for many including me, my bargeing on the lake depends on BB $ and my son fish's in the bay. I would imagine our sportfishing will be great but many will suffer. There are a few longtime residents that travel quite a bit but that's not a speck compared to the 1000's coming in from around the world! Do I know you Jeff?

It is important to start pointing fingers early...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Do I know you Jeff?

Only thing I've ever done up around Iliamna is pound the schit outta Talarik Rainbows.....

As far as the freight business goes I had a vary cherished relationship with Beverly and Roland Moody and of course you can't spend much time in the bay without your Lynn Shawback experiences......

I've never commercial fished but been involved on various levels with both the commercial and sport fishing industry around the bay for around 25 years. Now days I just observe and consult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is important to start pointing fingers early...

Nothing new, there is always drama in the bay...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.