Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
As to the use of my retirement Savage M_99, not planning on many whitetail mine is set up with a Lyman peep & gold bead front sight (my eyesight is still decent). I'll be in NW Montana in 4 years god willing & be prowling up in the Cabinets towards the Canadian border for big mulies & black bear. Be loading the Barnes X or Nolser partition perhaps the bonded Woodleigh.

We deal in lead, friend.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41rem
As to the use of my retirement Savage M_99, not planning on many whitetail mine is set up with a Lyman peep & gold bead front sight (my eyesight is still decent). I'll be in NW Montana in 4 years god willing & be prowling up in the Cabinets towards the Canadian border for big mulies & black bear. Be loading the Barnes X or Nolser partition perhaps the bonded Woodleigh.

Then I can see the wisdom in this project.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talk with JES. I'm sure he has done several Model 99 308s to 358 WIn and I believe he also tweaks the rotor, as needed, to ensure the rounds still load/cycle just fine.
... that is I'm assuming you have a 99 model with a rotor magazine. Savage also chambered the .308 in the 99C and 99CD that have removable magazines.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 03/24/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Joe
Before reboaring to .358, make sure the magazine will feed them. I was considering doing a .308 DL to .358 but, it would hold only 2 .358s in the magazine.

JES modified the rotor of the .308W 99E I sent him to rebore/rechamber to .358W so that it would allow a fully loaded magazine No extra charge. This was a few years ago.

41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by Joe
Before reboaring to .358, make sure the magazine will feed them. I was considering doing a .308 DL to .358 but, it would hold only 2 .358s in the magazine.

JES modified the rotor of the .308W 99E I sent him to rebore/rechamber to .358W so that it would allow a fully loaded magazine No extra charge. This was a few years ago.

Gotcha, didn't think about that part.

We deal in lead, friend.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lundtroller
TRex,
Just thinking out loud here... I wouldn't be suprised if JES marks ALL the barrels coming through just for legal protection alone. Imagine who would be on the hook if one of JES's rebores was actually not marked and then later resold to someone else who was unknowingly injured in an accident. I would imagine many attorneys would line up to have that case!!!

I don't think JES restamps look that bad; I personally would not want it restamped over "existing" markings however. I might be wrong but I think that is what he told me he did just to make sure there was no confusion.

Probably best to get your desired engraving done right before you send it to JES???

JES just received my Rem 700 in .270 Win for a .35 Whelen rebore snd he is specifically NOT restamping my barrel in any way.

The rifle is not new, and it came to me already cerakoted. I have no idea how the Cerakote on the barrel would hold hold up to bring stamped, so JES is doing nothing.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 03/25/20.
M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JES rebored a Browning 243 to 338 Federal for me, turn around time was about 2 weeks. The gun is shooting fine, but I really haven't had enough time to fine tune any loads. Wayne York out of Oregon, does really nice rebores. He charges a little bit more, but I hear he laps the barrels after the rebore for a smoother bore. Good luck with your rebore and retirement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I bought a Tikka T3x off the Classifieds here that was re-bored by JES from 243 to 338 Federal. They stamped "338 Federal" in the usual spot, left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver. The bottom of the barrel is stamped 1 10 and if you look real close you can see a 3 scratched into the steel for the number of grooves, also JES. What they do is rotate the barrel just enough that the old cartridge markings are out of sight and then stamp the new cartridge where it will be visible with the stock on. The markings out of sight aren't pretty but who cares?
Edit: I am not a Gunwriter.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I was thinking of having them rebore a rifle with iron sights. If they rotate the barrel that does not sound good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I bought a Tikka T3x off the Classifieds here that was re-bored by JES from 243 to 338 Federal. They stamped "338 Federal" in the usual spot, left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver. The bottom of the barrel is stamped 1 10 and if you look real close you can see a 3 scratched into the steel for the number of grooves, also JES. What they do is rotate the barrel just enough that the old cartridge markings are out of sight and then stamp the new cartridge where it will be visible with the stock on. The markings out of sight aren't pretty but who cares?
Edit: I am not a Gunwriter.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I was thinking of having them rebore a rifle with iron sights. If they rotate the barrel that does not sound good.

JES has done plenty of rifles with iron sights and kept the sights oriented correctly. If your rifle has iron sights, it won’t be rotated.

41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
JES has done plenty of rifles with iron sights and kept the sights oriented correctly. If your rifle has iron sights, it won’t be rotated.

Alright so what does the remarked caiber look like on a non rotated barrel then?

We deal in lead, friend.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Alright so what does the remarked caiber look like on a non rotated barrel then?

The Marlins I had done, just had the 30-30 overstamped to 00-00, and up near the breech on the left side, it had the new designation stamped in larger numbers. The new stamp looks fine to me..

Last edited by reivertom; 03/26/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a 308 done by him to 358. He took a 5 and stamped it over the 0. Doesn't look great...but it's not horrible.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Originally Posted by lundtroller
TRex,
Just thinking out loud here... I wouldn't be suprised if JES marks ALL the barrels coming through just for legal protection alone. Imagine who would be on the hook if one of JES's rebores was actually not marked and then later resold to someone else who was unknowingly injured in an accident. I would imagine many attorneys would line up to have that case!!!

I don't think JES restamps look that bad; I personally would not want it restamped over "existing" markings however. I might be wrong but I think that is what he told me he did just to make sure there was no confusion.

Probably best to get your desired engraving done right before you send it to JES???

JES just received my Rem 700 in .270 Win for a .35 Whelen rebore snd he is specifically NOT restamping my barrel in any way.

The rifle is not new, and it came to me already cerakoted. I have no idea how the Cerakote on the barrel would hold hold up to bring stamped, so JES is doing nothing.

I encourage you to follow up on this with Jess. I did everything I could ahead of time to make absolutely sure my two barrels would not be marked, but they got marked anyway. Don't be a afraid to leave him a message reminding him not to mark it. Mine came back with the tape wrapped around the barrel with the words "NO STAMP!" still on them - and the calibers still stamped on the barrels. I had also included a letter with the "don't stamp the barrels" instructions. Hey, stuff happens, I get it. I had just asked Jess so many questions before I sent him the rifles I felt bad about following up after I shipped them so I didn't.
Good luck with the project,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/26/20.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm sending him an octagon high wall in 30-06 to be rebored to 35 Whelen. He just finish one fir another gentleman in Louisiana

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just shot my latest rebore from JES today with great results. It is a Marlin 336W from 2002 I had made into a 38-55 by Jesse. I was well pleased with the accuracy from a randomly picked load using the Sierra 200 Grain Jacketed in .375 over a mid-range load of IMR 3130. I was shooting on a 60 yard range because a bunch of people with "Corona cabin fever" beat me to the longer ones. It was OK because I was mainly checking the scope and test firing my new toy. It only took me 3 shots to get it dialed in and after shooting it a while, I could have shot a squirrel in the head at 60 yards with no problem. I am looking forward to cooking up a pet load for this little thumper. I smiled all the way home!

Last edited by reivertom; 03/26/20.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
How much they charge you if you don't mind me asking?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Filaman
How much they charge you if you don't mind me asking?

http://35caliber.com/2.html

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a post mil Savage 99 rebored and chambered from 300 Savage to 358 by JES. My expectations were fairly low from stuff I read on the internet on accuracy variations from not that great to excellent. As this is a brush gun that would very rarely see shots over 100 yards I would have been OK with 3 MOA at 100 yards just to have the larger caliber in a handy Savage 99. The stars must have lined up for this one as it is the most accurate rifle I own with factory Hornady 250's. This is the only rifle I have that I have not had to handload for for accuracy. 3/4" groups are possible when fired in the sled. JES modified the rotor as part of the service and it feeds flawlessly.

I wish I could get them to do a 450 Bushmaster for me in a magazine 99 but they don't do the Pistol .452 bore diameter.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

On my Browning, JES marked 338 FED in the same place as seen in an earlier pic. He didn't rotate the barrel, left the standard 243 Winchester on the barrel, didn't x it out or alter it.

Last edited by MOW; 03/28/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.