Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14694883 03/22/20
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
So I bought the Kifaru 1/8" Duplex lite Frame and the Cargo Net. I have had the pack about a week now and I didn't want to write to much to soon. First the construction is 100% and second to none. The frame fit me perfect though I probably should have gotten the Medium Belt over the Large. This frame is super simple and easy to set up. Trip one with it was 7 miles with 45lb Rouge Bumper Weight on it. Honestly it felt like 25lb to 30lb, maybe I have just gotten stronger but it felt like the load was less than what it feels like on other packs I have used. The load never once loosened up and I never needed to readjust any straps. So I couldn't leave it alone on day one so about two hours after returning from my 7 mile hike I was itching to try a real load in it. So I threw on another 45lb Rouge Bumper Plate. I thought for sure with 90lbs on the pack I would need to adjust something or alter something. Put the pack on and headed out with the idea I would do 1 to 1-1/2 miles with the 90lbs just to see how everything felt. After about a 1/4 mile I stopped took it off and adjusted the chest strap. It was riding to high so I moved it as low as you can. Much better for me there. So I got to the half mile make and decided I wanted to go farther. So load felt great everything was perfect, so hell keep on trucking. Well I ended up doing 4 miles total with the 90lb load. Nothing moved no need to adjust or tighten any straps. Day one in the books and I am loving it.

Day two I want to see how it carries in steep terrain both up and down. So I took it to one of my favorite peaks in the Bitterroot. This climb has switchbacks, rock/boulder crossings, and straight up climbing and a short section of scrabbling. I went with 65lb as I wasn't sure how it would handle and I didn't want to have to leave a plate and comeback for it. All I can say is absolutely NO complaints! Load stayed tight, and carried like a dream. This trail is about 3-1/2 miles up to the top of the toughest part. I did not go to the peak due to snow, time, and the final section is a cake walk anyways. Driving home I couldn't stop thinking about seeing how it carried really heavy. So I loaded up 140lbs and took it for a stroll around the block. Now I am sure someone will come on and say 140lb is really heavy? Well yeah I don't carry more than 100lb or plus a little. So 140lb is over anything I normally do. Day two in the books and I love the frame so far.

Day three I figure lets give it a good distance with the 140LB load. So I did a 6 mile out and back from my house on the road, there are a few decent hills on this route. All I can say is that I wish I had bought this frame a long time ago. It is a solid frame that distributes the load very well to your hips. The straps all stay where you adjust them to, no slippage. 140lb doesn't feel bad at all on this frame. I am very pleased with my purchase and believe next up is getting the Striker to add to it.

I have plenty of time this week to work with it some more and get it broken in before Spring Bear season! But so far it is a Winner.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal!! My first "big" hunting purchase was a Kifaru pack in about 2002. Been very pleased with it.

Need to tinker a bit with the frame. It's never been quite the same since it rolled off a cliff in the Frank Church fully loaded and bent things up a bit. Just don't think about it enough to mess with it until it's time to use it. New spring project, especially since I plan on doing more rucking for working out.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
whistle whistle whistle

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Been using one for the last 3 years and it works great and super comfortable.....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ackleyfan which Kifaru pack is that?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Ackleyfan which Kifaru pack is that?

It’s a cargo panel with a guide lid and a couple pockets!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am by no means the backpacker most on here are but after packing out an elk with my "no frame Camelbak Stryker and two pillow cases" I decided I wouldn't do that again. At one time I had MR, EXO, and Kifaru frames at one time to try. The Kifaru fit me the best, the rest went back. Been playing with bags for the best combination of day hunt and multi day options. Right now I have the Mtn Warrior and it seems to be a good compromise. I do have the cargo panel and just picked up a Camelbak Ambush that, I think, will compliment that very well as a daypack/gear hauler when coupled with a guide lid.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Received a Duplex lite and bag last night. First impression was pretty good just walking around with 50#.

Was between the 22 Mag and Striker. Went with the 22, but may switch it for a striker and a couple pockets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I still am thinking about a Striker too.
I sent my Reckoning back to Kifaru for some stich work, and they sent me a brand new one back as they said mine couldn't be repaired. I took that as a compliment...but am thinking about different options, as much as I like the Reckoning.

Kifaru frames don't seem to fit everyone's back, but for those that do fit into them there's nothing better. They fit me and I am sold on them.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My only concern was the lumbar pad, but I’ll have to play around with it some more.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish they still made the cargo panel. I guess a Stryker will work about as well for what I want, maybe better at times.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Holston
I wish they still made the cargo panel. I guess a Stryker will work about as well for what I want, maybe better at times.

I think the Stryker checks got of boxes....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love
My kifaru fulcrum and argali packs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I still am thinking about a Striker too.
I sent my Reckoning back to Kifaru for some stich work, and they sent me a brand new one back as they said mine couldn't be repaired. I took that as a compliment...but am thinking about different options, as much as I like the Reckoning.

Kifaru frames don't seem to fit everyone's back, but for those that do fit into them there's nothing better. They fit me and I am sold on them.

You doing any Hunting this fall here in the Valley?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll do my normal deer hunt behind the house up on St. Mary's peak. Maybe elk too in the Big Hole but not sure yet.

I will be there next month to buck up an ancient P Pine that fell through my back fence during that big windstorm a couple months ago. I'll probably blast a turkey while I am there. I may come sooner if WY gets locked down.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll do my normal deer hunt behind the house up on St. Mary's peak. Maybe elk too in the Big Hole but not sure yet.

I will be there next month to buck up an ancient P Pine that fell through my back fence during that big windstorm a couple months ago. I'll probably blast a turkey while I am there. I may come sooner if WY gets locked down.

If you need some help let me know. I am not going anywhere anytime soon, at least that I know of. smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I put in for 380 Elk! frown

That ain't happening. smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Will do. I think my niece and I have it covered though. I do appreciate it.
One day I still want to talk to you about your buddy Dave.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Will do. I think my niece and I have it covered though. I do appreciate it.

Anytime.

For sure.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave and I use to deer hunt less than a mile from his grave. I sure do miss him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.