Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I once hunted Desert Mule Deer near Van Horn, TX. Those were some big honking bucks! I shot a "mid size" last minute buck that was a 200+ lb 3x3! Anyhow, I got to ride/hunt with the old Foreman. He used an old beat up Savage 99E, 4x scope and the then ( late 90s) Winchester 100gr Power Point Plus ( moly coated by factory, remember those?) in .243. He killed deer at some pretty long ranges, and hinted that it worked pretty good on "drug mules", showed me a huge canyon they "ended up in". wow! Rough old Cob, ha. I felt kind of silly with ( one of the first) my 300 RUM and boutique 150 moly coated BT. I about cut my deer in half at 65 yds! ha

BP-B2

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While the 243 is not and will never be my primary deer rifle I have shot a few whitetails, one blacktail and one mulie with it. I used factory Remington 100 gr Corelokts and I don't recall ever having to hit one twice. I got rid of my 243 (Ruger M77) when I got a 6.5x55 Swedish. I like the heavier bullet in the 6.5 but I never saw the 243 fail.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Haven't been in here in awhile since I lost our lease and haven't deer hunted for a couple years but now I'm hunting my bil's 40 acres. I had sold my Ruger 77 stainless .300 mag I used for years so went out and bought a used CVA youth model single shot .243. I'm 72 now and need something light and easy to carry. Years ago I built a .243 on a new Mauser Supreme action and Fajen stock. It was a tack hammer and the one deer I shot with it went down like a ton of bricks. Looking forward to deer hunting again.

WBL
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
100 gr blue-box will do the job.If you lack confidence in the caliber,Barnes ttsx....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a Ruger 77 in 6MM Remington that I used on several Antelope and after examining the internal damage using the 100 grain Sierra bullets I decided it was plenty of gun for the big Mule Deer and Antelope. DRT. That old gun has quite a history with the young kids in my family and never lost an animal.. Only problem I had was that when I loaned it out to some of my buddies for their "wives" to use I had a tough time getting it back. BTY the 6MM Remington works fine in a short action! I don't know why women and kids kill deer easily with a .243 and men need a 300 Win Mag!

Last edited by Switch; 03/23/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Reloads 100 gr hornady interlock and 40 hrs H4350

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Could be women are given .243's because they are women.. My wife shot my .300 well, here favorite was a 7mmRM... She tried all the small rounds like 243, 257 Roberts, .25-06 but liked the 7 best of all.. She shot it very well.. Far better than a friend who shot .243's and 6mm's and crippled a couple head of game each fall before he find found one...

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Could be women are given .243's because they are women.. My wife shot my .300 well, here favorite was a 7mmRM... She tried all the small rounds like 243, 257 Roberts, .25-06 but liked the 7 best of all.. She shot it very well.. Far better than a friend who shot .243's and 6mm's and crippled a couple head of game each fall before he find found one...

Your friend should have been a better shot.... Tough to fix pilot error.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by atse

Your friend should have been a better shot.... Tough to fix pilot error.

Exactly

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
... Far better than a friend who shot .243's and 6mm's and crippled a couple head of game each fall before he find found one...

Sounds like someone needs lessons in shooting and possibly bullet selection.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
... Far better than a friend who shot .243's and 6mm's and crippled a couple head of game each fall before he find found one...

Sounds like someone needs lessons in shooting and possibly bullet selection.

Yep. Bullet diameter and/or chambering are not the problem linkage at work here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
But the .243 is suppose to be awesome!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is. At least it's just as awesome as other chamberings when it comes to killing, provided the shooter has a clue about anatomy, bullet construction, and producing the desired POI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But the .243 is suppose to be awesome!!!

The 300 Win Mag sucks in the hands of someone that's not proficient with it or doesn't know what to feed it. wink

This is not rocket science. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
It is NOT but the .243 is not as outstanding as some try to make it out... I have never lost an animal with it, but it sure has given less than desired performance on more than one occasion.. But its promoters always have some crap to make it look good.. It is ok, but we have made several good shots with good bullets and it did not kill as it should have.. Say what you want, but facts are facts.. two or three kills or even ten does not prove much..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is NOT but the .243 is not as outstanding as some try to make it out... I have never lost an animal with it, but it sure has given less than desired performance on more than one occasion.. But its promoters always have some crap to make it look good.. It is ok, but we have made several good shots with good bullets and it did not kill as it should have.. Say what you want, but facts are facts.. two or three kills or even ten does not prove much..

Have you tried the 460 Weatherby yet? Great Whitetail round! Just spoofing you!

Last edited by Switch; 03/27/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

at least we agree on that part....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Facts are facts,. two or three kills or even ten does not prove much.

At least we agree on that part.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] 1200 yrds with a .243

If you can't use a .243, give to your wife or kids they will kill the hell out of critters with it. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I will explain my point one more time. I have done this before, not on this thread, but here are some of the problems I have had with the 243, 6mm, 257 Roberts, and a couple other calibers in this group.. I will give only a couple, but over the years, this has happened maybe 8 times... I suppose I have used these on 60 to 80 head of big game..
First none of these animals were lost, none were failures due to poor bullet placement.. All were well hit, and the bullet exited..

First and antelope buck shot during a winter hunt.. About 200 yards, behind the shoulder with an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT..the little buck showed no reaction. It was very cold.. At the shot he looked at me, calmly walk up the hill about 200 yards and stood around .. I couldn't believe I missed everything was solid.. It was Jan. so I got in my vehicle and got warm.. I could see the buck standing there. After a few minutes, his head began drooping, and he lay down... I realized I must have hit him.. I cut the track and walked too him and found the bullet had hit just where I aimed.. It just took a long time for him to die..

Years later, this time with a .257 Roberts, I put a 100 grain Speer, behind the shoulder of a big doe antelope.. We had thousands of them at this time.. It was at the edge of a big herd.. At the shot she walked into the herd, and they milled around.. It was about a 300 yard shot dead rest/. My wife saw it hit, and I heard it hit.. I told her look at your watch.. Finally the herd started stringing up the hill away from us.. They didn't run, they just walked in a line.. Finally, there was only one left, she started up the hill, maybe a 100 yards later she lay down.. She had been on her feet seven minutes from the shot til she lay down.. When we got to her, she was dead shot though both lungs..

Another, This was with a 6mm Rem.. 100 gr. Remington factory load.. First day of season.. We left town after work and drove to the hunting area.. We saw antelope every where and finally came on a big doe drinking at a small pond.. I put a 100 gr. bullet behind the shoulder and she took off like a bullet.. I suppose she ran 200-250 yards across the prairie and finally went end over end.. When we got to her she was hit where I aimed and the bullet exited..But she bled very little the first 50 or so yards, and I have never had a well hit animal run this far..

Over the same span of time, I suppose we shot another 80 head of big game with hot .22-250s etc,, Never once did I have that type of experience.. We have also shot about the same amount of game maybe more with .30-30's, .32spl.. .7mm-08, .300 Savage, .270 and . the old .30-06.. Never anything like this with those calibers either.. Last fall we shot one buck antelope with the 6mm and an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT dropped him in his tracks.. Also a yearling whitetail doe.. same gun same load..Dropped her on the spot.. But she was eating and had her head down and the bullet hit the spine before entering the chest..

These problems do not occur with every shot or animal, but they have been irritating to me ... Some guys will say, you got your game, what is the difference.. Some people never learn either.. I like my current 6mm and plan to use it some this fall.. But I am very aware of bullet placement, something that has not be so trouble some with other calibers.. I know folks have been very successful with these calibers, but I have had a number of less than desirable things occur with them..

Molon Labe
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.