Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14690244 03/21/20
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
enough of the virus threads

Finally had a chance to disc my garden today. Rained last night, but not too much. Getting time to plant.

Rebuilt an equip auction covington planter over the winter. Good metal but needed a good sanding and painting.

Waiting for a corn plate to come in. The one with it was for peanuts.

Picked up some Peaches and Cream sweet corn today at the co-op. It goes fast, once its gone thats it. Plus some G90 to go with it.

Had to order a set of points for a cub tractor.

Anyone else starting their garden?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I've got some stuff planted.....but whether or not it's going to do anything is still up in the air. I always plow my garden in the late fall, and that way it dries out earlier in the spring. I caught a nice few days about 3 weeks ago and disked it and then planted some green peas and finished the rows out with some sweet corn. The corn was a gamble, as I was hoping the weather would cooperate. So far, it hasn't, with way too much rain and cool and cloudy weather. Nothing is coming up, and the peas should have been.

I also have a 30X96 foot high tunnel that I use to grow things in, and I've got some cabbage and broccoli growing, and about half of it is planted in green beans. They should be up this week, IF they're going to come up, and again, the cool and cloudy weather has kept the soil temp down, although the temp in the high tunnel is always higher than what it is outside. I do have tomato, more cabbage, squash, and pepper plants started from seed in a hot box, and will be planting those shortly in the high tunnel.

I'd love to get some potatoes planted, but am glad I didn't plant any early, as the wet weather would probably have rotted them in the ground. I just wish al this rain would stop and let the ground dry out. We've had so much rain that it's running out the top of my well, because the ground is oversaturated.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wet here this spring also.

I’d like to get a row of taters planted. Last year was too wet early on.

Long term goal is a greenhouse. I’d like to plant more heirloom veggies. Not just Bonnie plants.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Wet here this spring also.

I’d like to get a row of taters planted. Last year was too wet early on.

Long term goal is a greenhouse. I’d like to plant more heirloom veggies. Not just Bonnie plants.

Today's plants, especially tomatoes, are bred for the market, not for taste. I try to plant some of the older varieties of veggies when I can find them. For example, the older varieties of green beans have a much better taste then do the modern, bred for the market ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got straw bales in and spaded one of my gardens. 2 months till planting.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not yet, here................... Probably get my onion sets in this weekend. The rest will have to wait until the majority of threat for frost passes. Probably another 6-8 weeks.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
Got straw bales in and spaded one of my gardens. 2 months till planting.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I like that.

What’s the wooden boxes in center for? Walkway?

Dave

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Planted my peaches and cream a couple of weeks ago. also some watermelons. Will get back to SW Mississippi this weekend to see if they came up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, walkway. Don't have to reach as far down or walk in the garden as much. The repurposed grain bins have been great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been raining here too much to disc the gardens.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just keeps on raining here, and about the time the ground starts to dry, it rains again. However, my green peas are up, and I had planted 2 rows of sweet corn at the same time, and it's starting to come up. The green beans I planted in the high tunnel are also coming up, but not as good as I'd hoped. Cabbage and broccoli in there looks good.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Laid out a new garden patch today(40’X50’). Still too wet to plow. Hopefully can get it done the end of the week.

Buy once, cry once.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
https://imgur.com/a/HIvF7y2

Something satisfying about a fresh spot of ground turned up.

Buy once, cry once.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We got ours planted last week. Planted taters back in early March. We've got banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, okra, crooked neck squash, zucchini, green beans, black eyed peas, field peas, butter beans, and pintos. Rain has been about perfect lately. Surely it wont stay that way. crazy Likely get an old fashioned drought or repeated monsoons in the coming months. Every year is different. Some stuff will thrive and some will struggle. Either way, we will have fun with it. My kids are some of the best garden workers ever!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got mine disked 2 1/2 weeks ago and it's rained 5 times since then, that includes the rain today. If we can get a week without it raining, then maybe it will be dry enough to plant. I might just have to mud-in the tomatoes.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My garden site has set mostly fallow for several years due to sheer laziness on my part AND the noseemums that have become established here.

Decided this was the year and I needed exercise so have set up 6 of 12 short beds and jus cleaned off (mowed) the long bed 4'X50'.

Beets are planted as well as some garlic put in last fall as well as some potatoes from eyes on our store bought potatoes.

Tomatoes, okra and cantaloupe will come later as it gets a bit warmer.

We have had a wet spring, but that only helped me turn the long fallow beds.
Yes turn, as in shovel 4'X12' each.

We have had wet springs with a pretty long dry spell every summer for the last couple of years and I am hoping that is not true this year as I depend on natural moisture.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Spent 70 someodd dollars yesterday on starts.a few six packs of various tomatoes. 5-6 varieties (maybe more??) of peppers, an eggplant, couple of blueberry bushes and a couple of six packs of annuals for some planters I'm going to put out for the wife.

4x8 bed of taters planted a week or two back.

Already have garlic coming up, dang Egyptian onions that want to take over the garden, asparagus I've taken a handful of for dinner the other night, rhubarb is up and going, perennial herds are greening up, and wonder of wonders I overwintered an artichoke plant.

Put in five fruit trees and scratched up a 40'x40' plot for more garden spots. Ten 4'x8' beds just ain't enough space.

Good luck to all.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Corn is coming on good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You folks are way ahead of us. My wife roto tilled our small plot. I spread some turkey litter, lime, and blend of fertilizer.

She planted some seeds, tomato sets, and if I can find them , some leek seed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
By the way Dave, that is one hilly garden! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.