24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love my Remington Tac 14, but like T Inman said, hard to beat a standard 870 Riot Gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
ARIC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Looking to acquire an “other” for the camper.

Shockwave or Remington 870 TAC 14?

I like the top safety on the Mosssberg and it’s easy to modify for th Aquila short shells.

Who has either? Pluses or minuses?

I've had both. Sold the Mossberg after the third time a live shot shell fell through the skeletonized elevator, jamming up the gun, in the process of racking the pump action. Then I went out and bought a Remington Tac-14. No problems with the Remington. Only drawback to the Remington is one less round in the mag, but you can get a plus one for it.

Here's what kept happening to the Mossberg:

[Linked Image]

Never had that happen, but my Mossberg's extractor wouldn't grip the shell rim and would leave the empty in the chamber despite racking the action. Twice, after replacing the first extractor. The top tang safety also went tits up on me and the components of it needed to be replaced.

I went to an 870 Marine (not a TAC 14 mind you) and haven't looked back. It has worked flawlessly, though I admittedly do not shoot it much.
I always replace a Mossberg safety with a steel one from Brownells before the plastic one breaks, which they are very prone to do particularly in cold weather. It's a 5 minute job and last I knew they were about 20.00. That takes care of the issue for good..Your extractor likely wouldn't grab the shell sufficiently to extract reliably because the extractor recess in the barrel wasn't cut deep enough. I've seen and corrected the same problem on lots of shotguns including 870's. If I started listing all the problems/manufacturing defects/broken parts I saw in supposedly better guns including 870's and Ithaca 37's when I was working as a general gunsmith it would take me a week and be 20 pages long. About 90% of the time when a Mossberg came in for repair it was for a broken safety button.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hope it works for you, the pump guns in that configuration are too vigorous to control, best make the first shot a good one, let me say this "we was aiming them" up near our faces people shooting them from the hips can largely just be making noise. One wonders if one of those ar15 pistols with the braces on them would be a better idea?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I hope it works for you, the pump guns in that configuration are too vigorous to control, best make the first shot a good one, let me say this "we was aiming them" up near our faces people shooting them from the hips can largely just be making noise. One wonders if one of those ar15 pistols with the braces on them would be a better idea?

Believe it or not, it's perfectly legal, and common practice, to put one of those braces on the Shockwave or Tac-14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This.

Believe it or not, it's perfectly legal, and common practice, to put one of those braces on the Shockwave or Tac-14.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"I went to an 870 Marine & haven't looked back"

Bud's had a bunch of those last year that were police trade ins. I picked one up that I liked the looks of the most & was in love. The plating made the gun unbelievably smooth.
How smooth? I've had 870's from the 50's, 60's 70's etc. etc. Trap models, & one 870 I own has had several thousand shells through it. The plated gun felt better.

500 plus dollars & the fact I had five 870's at home held me back, but man, those things are nice. No wonder they bring big bucks.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
"I went to an 870 Marine & haven't looked back"

Bud's had a bunch of those last year that were police trade ins. I picked one up that I liked the looks of the most & was in love. The plating made the gun unbelievably smooth.
How smooth? I've had 870's from the 50's, 60's 70's etc. etc. Trap models, & one 870 I own has had several thousand shells through it. The plated gun felt better.

500 plus dollars & the fact I had five 870's at home held me back, but man, those things are nice. No wonder they bring big bucks.

Nowadays those seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have them both and for what ever reason I like the strap on the Mossberg
I dont have thousands of rounds but have shot it and runs fine
My Son in Law has the 870 and shot it more that I have shot mine he is happy with it

If I ever find a fair deal on a Tac 13 semi auto I will own that

Over all I am happy with both shot bird shot00 buck and a few slugs

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only thing I have to add is I've NEVER had a smooth mossberg. Every 870 including fairly recent ones have been MUCH smoother. Not wingmaster smooth but smoother.

That said never shot these short ones and can't quite think of a need for one at the moment but tommorrow is another day. It would be a Rem if I decided FWIW. Take my chances and all.

Kind of like Douglas barrels. I've yet to have one that drove tacks so after 3 or 4 I just gave up on em.. mossberg same...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My Ithaca 37 is super smooth and positive in the pump action. Very confidence inspiring.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boatboy
I have them both and for what ever reason I like the strap on the Mossberg
I dont have thousands of rounds but have shot it and runs fine
My Son in Law has the 870 and shot it more that I have shot mine he is happy with it

If I ever find a fair deal on a Tac 13 semi auto I will own that

Over all I am happy with both shot bird shot00 buck and a few slugs

Hank

A Tac 13 would be fun!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Ithaca 37 is super smooth and positive in the pump action. Very confidence inspiring.

No pump shotgun ever made is or was smoother than the Ithaca Model 37.

But I’m sure some Winchester Model 12 aficionados will be along shortly to disagree.

I like my 870’s. But I LOVE the Model 37 Ithaca.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
"A Tac 13 would be fun"

"IF" dependable, they make more sense than either of the pumps. If a person has to cut loose with something like these, I figure they are gonna be in a lot of trouble & really busy trying so save their hide. Like defensive or evasive driving for instance. Or, running for cover while taking a family member with you & trying to shield them.

I wouldn't really want to shoot a Tac one handed but it's doable. Keeping a pump going in certain circumstances would require a lot more manipulation.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess "smooth" might be important for the limp wristed, weak and frail. I have several pump guns in the house including a Browning BPS, an 870, an Ithaca 37 and two Mossbergs. They're about all I've ever used my whole life. The BPS, 870 and 37 are all smoother than the 500's though the older 500 from the 60's is pretty good but it makes precisely zero difference as far as how fast I can deliver repeat fire. I am so used to using a pump that I don't even think about it and cycle the action purely instinctively. I can deliver repeat fire on target with any of them about as fast as most folks can with an auto or over and under.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Shockwave safety with a pistol-gripped brace is not a natural combo, due to having to move one's thumb around and above the grip in order to disengage the safety.

I would go Remington, add a +1, big-head safety, maybe tinker with some better internals/springs upgrades, and be all set for adding a pistol brace when desired.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This.

Let me know how that works out, I have a feeling its not going to produce user friendly results, but I could be wrong. Interested, yet the gun still needs a light and I can figure no safe way to put one on it.

Last edited by jimmyp; 04/01/20.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
@jimmyp,

Did you miss this post on page 4?

Originally Posted by JLimbo

This is the forend I have coming for the shockwave.

[Linked Image from flashlightdealer.com]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
@jimmyp,

Do they make that for the Tac-14?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
me know how that works out, I have a feeling its not going to produce user friendly results.

Yep. No fun at all to shoot slugs or buckshot with.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
@jimmyp,

Do they make that for the Tac-14?

I believe I also saw them for the Remington. More lumens and about 1/3 the price of a Surefire.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
436 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 45 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.