Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I'd choose a decent light before a red dot.

Actually, my "house" gun has both.....................

MM

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
In the house I prefer a G19 w/ a wml and a hand held light on a cord for opening doors and searching. Moving through my home is much more efficient w/ a handgun. Actually practicing w/ both and making an informed decision probably works best. The OP states that he has an Aimpoint on an AR but doesn't know what works best, odd. Firing a 16" barrel AR indoors w/out ear protection is stunning, and not very smart.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I think it take lots of repeat exposure to have noticeable hearing loss.

No. A single round from a centerfire rifle or pistol causing measurable, permanent hearing loss.

Absolutely.

in my early-mid20's I touched an 06 in the back seat of a car iwthout hearing protection on. Instant damage in one ear. (the one facing the interior. The one facing the open door is "ok".

Noticeable from that point forward.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If all I had were irons, I would not worry one bit. Up close you will loose a fraction here and there IMHO. But for most cases the irons will suffice.

IF you are used to them and CONFIDENT in them. Which I am.

That said optics are on most of the vehicle/house guns. I love irons. But I like to see things clearly and all as in focus as I can and not have aps and sight wings and such blocking things out.

Have a Burris 322 or whatever that I just acquired. Its been REALLY good on pigs lately. Much better than irons would be but I have not had close pigs lately either, usually say 75 to about 135 or so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Has anyone scientifically verified this with a timer? I'm talking about max distances of like six yards.

Of course. There is no comparison. The issue isn’t in raw time side by side- though red dots are faster. The difference is during stress, low light, moving targets, etc. Point shooting is not an answer, guns aren’t magic you must destroy vital organs.

No organization whose primary function is to shoot at close range uses irons.

Not disagreeing, but would add that shotgunning M4s can enough accuracy for room distances, although not trained as much since RDs became primaries. Also, some LPVs seem as fast as RDs, to me. All three are faster than irons, especially in low light.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Red dot for me. Inside of 10 yards if the bad guy is in the middle of the field of view of the red dot sight it’s most likely a hit.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Has anyone scientifically verified this with a timer? I'm talking about max distances of like six yards.

Of course. There is no comparison. The issue isn’t in raw time side by side- though red dots are faster. The difference is during stress, low light, moving targets, etc. Point shooting is not an answer, guns aren’t magic you must destroy vital organs.

No organization whose primary function is to shoot at close range uses irons.

Formudulous, What is the current level of deployment of the EOTech line of weapon sights in your realm and your opinion and experience using them? Thanks.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the electronic hearing protection can't help that much, you never see it used in the TV shows. A good pistol is what you want these days cause even if the boarders are wearing body armor you could just shoot the guns out of their hands, seen that on tv too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read that body armor makes a head shot the go to on any stationary target.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Red dot for me. Inside of 10 yards if the bad guy is in the middle of the field of view of the red dot sight it’s most likely a hit.

Pretty much same with irons, if you can see the blur of the iron on the target IE sight base/wings and all pull the trigger...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Inside 7 yards I prefer a Glock17 with a Streamlight TL on the rail. You can see the 300 lumen beam even in the daylight, and what is in the center of the beam is in the center of my group. Dont even search for the sights.

What if your battery is dead??? At OH Schitt distances, focus on the front sight. The bullet will go where it goes.

I had to take sights completely off a 22 once for Carolyn to understand and learn where sights become important and where you just need to be pointing and pulling the trigger. That you were wasting time aiming and squeezing so to speak.

Personally I think that generally adrenalin takes over there.. if its close and fast and closing you are going to start shooting faster and more of point rather than aim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
@rost495,

Tell me how you see irons in the dark?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Inside 7 yards I prefer a Glock17 with a Streamlight TL on the rail. You can see the 300 lumen beam even in the daylight, and what is in the center of the beam is in the center of my group. Dont even search for the sights.

What if your battery is dead??? At OH Schitt distances, focus on the front sight. The bullet will go where it goes.

I had to take sights completely off a 22 once for Carolyn to understand and learn where sights become important and where you just need to be pointing and pulling the trigger. That you were wasting time aiming and squeezing so to speak.

Personally I think that generally adrenalin takes over there.. if its close and fast and closing you are going to start shooting faster and more of point rather than aim.

rost's point is well taken,, case in point is shotgun action shooting.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not rost but will state that if you can't see your sights then positive target ID will be questionable, yet still essential. Use of a weapon in low light conditions is an essential skill and must be practiced. There are a number of methodologies demonstrated on You Tube, some actually provide good info. It gets dark every day and you can prepare and practice w/ dryfire suing a wml, handheld light or,ideally both,s in your own dwelling which is your 1st priority location.

The old failure drill, 2 to the chest and 1 to the head, as a practiced response is very useful if your opponent wears armor or not. Practice, practice, practice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by David_Walter
@rost495,

same way you can see the target in the dark---- you cant.

discussion has already assumed target identification to be a bad guy.

if target not identified because of light conditions, it doesn't matter either way.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It helps to use a suppressor. That helps to limit waking up those asleep and the neighbors. Waking up fewer folks, it may give you the option to dial 911 or get the back hoe out of the shop.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
@rost495,

There are tritium options for AR irons. but a WML will silhouette regular iron sights. Granted, that isn't 'dark' anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
@rost495,

There are tritium options for AR irons. but a WML will silhouette regular iron sights. Granted, that isn't 'dark' anymore.

yep weapon mounted light will make irons usable and scopes too. Used my headlight laid against the forearm of 22 for years coon hunting.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lennie
It helps to use a suppressor. That helps to limit waking up those asleep and the neighbors. Waking up fewer folks, it may give you the option to dial 911 or get the back hoe out of the shop.

grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
EO-Tech 556 NV compatible is what all my house guns wear.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.