Print Thread
Hop To
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Could someone tell me the right way to make 35 Whelen brass from once fired 30-06 brass? Can I go straight from 06 brass to the full length 35 Whelen die and do I need to fireform the new brass?

Thanks,
Andy

HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd start with virgin brass, neck up and fireform.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Steelhead,

I have a lot of once fired 30-06.... What's the downside of using it instead of new?

If you load a normal 35 whelen load in your cases before fireforming will accuracy suck or is their some other reason to fireform before using a normal powder charge and bullet?

What's the best lube to use on the inside of the case necks when sizing up.

Thanks,
Andy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's been a while since I went to the trouble, but yes you can size it straight up as I recall.
Once fired may size up just fine .
If the brass has been fired several times it can work harden and you may split some of the necks if you don't anneal them.
Most of the whelan dies have a nice tapered expander for just such uses.
A dab of case lube on the inside of the neck too can help if you remember to clean it out.
Imperial dry case neck lube works well .And no I don't fire form, check case length though.
good luck

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My experience is the same as colodog's. Lube the necks! or you may pull the shoulder forward and give you a funny headspace problem that can become quite headscratcher. Other than that I maybe lost 4 cases out of 200 due to neck splits when using brass of unknown origin.I use dry mica for neck lube.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's the method that Ken Howell suggests and that I've used with good success.

Dr Ken Howell

All but one of the methods that I've used produced off-center necks. Fortunately, the only one method that I can recommend works perfectly � fire-forming with inert filler. I've used a hydraulic case-former, a tapered expander button, a series of expander buttons (.308, 8mm, .338, .358), etc, and found 'em all disappointing. Fire-forming was a most-welcome discovery.

� Prime with pistol primers.
� Lube cases with good case lube.
� Load a test case with 10 to 12 grains of Bullseye or other fast pistol powder (generally, I go light with a .25-06 case and use a bit more with a .30-06 case).
� Wad � sheet of toilet tissue into a loose ball and tamp it down lightly atop the powder charge.
� Fill case to the mouth with inert filler (Cream of Wheat, Instant Ralston, corn meal, etc) � but not flour.
� Close mouth with smear of Vaseline, cast-bullet lube, paraffin wax, or a disc of paper from a paper punch.
� Insert case in chamber with muzzle up.
� Fire.
� Inspect test case. If shoulder hasn't formed full and sharp, increase test load slightly and try again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just run them through my RCBS dies and then shoot them?
Maybe I just got lucky?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by whelennut
I just run them through my RCBS dies and then shoot them?
Maybe I just got lucky?
whelennut

Me too. No luck necessary. It just plain works. cool
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use once fired 06 brass for my 35 whelen all the time, no fire-forming with excellent acccuracy, just lube the inside of the necks well with imperial sizing wax and have at it, really cant get any easier. I adjust my dies for a slight crush fit when chambered and like i said accuracy is very good.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
An awesome lubricant to neck up any brass is Armorall protectant. Apply sparingly with a piece of Armorall protectant wipe wrapped around a .277-284 brass brush on a section of cleaning rod. You don't even have to remove it. I have been using it for years making 358 out of 308 and 35 Whelen from 30-06. Cuts way down on neck splits. Once fired brass is all I use, buying new brass in the wrong caliber doesn't make sense to me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I'm glad I asked. Just running it throught a 35 Whelen resizer is much easier.

I knew I should ask. Many thanks!

BTW: I'm doing it for economy. I was checking this morning, and the cheap 35 Whelen brass was a thing of the past. My first batch was new 35 Whelen RP, but that was 15 years ago. I guess times change.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finished resizing my small stockpile of once fired and range pick up .30-06; using Imperial Wax and a Hornady sizing die I went through somewhere between 125 and 150 cases.

I lost 3 cases to split necks during the resizing process but all others look perfectly fine.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Been making .35 Whelen brass from .30-06 for years, lube with Imperial Wax inside case neck and outside and run thru .35 Whelen sizing die. Eazy-peasy, no additional steps needed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.