Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I was on my 5th loading in my ‘06... after collet resizing and inspecting cases I noticed my Hornady case developing a bright horizontal line near the case head. I could feel the “line” with my fingernail. I have never had a case separation but figured I better trash this brass. Primer pockets were tight and all sizing has been with a lee collet die or a properly adjusted fl sizing die (head space dimensions are always checked). I figured I would post pictures to help “newbies” to know what to look for. Kind of sobering to think I could have overlooked that if I wasn’t being careful. It seems (?) Hornady Brass is particularly prone to this. Note the groove on the inside of the case, right where the shiny line is on the outside of the case.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/14714666/case-head-separation-starting

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What rifle were you firing it in?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you`re using the same lot of brass, expect more, and now that you`ve seen where it`s started, you know where to look.
I`ve had separations, and near separations with all domestic brass over the years. It happens. Have to say tho, a lot of 500 RP brass I bought years ago for the 308 40X when I shot HP last for an unknown amount of reloads, tho I didn`t push the loads either. I still got them. As you mentioned, die set up has LOTS to do with brass longevity.
BTB, if you do have one in the gun, clean the carbon residue out of the chamber before you shoot again, or it will leave a mark on the next case, making it look like that one is going to fail too. You can quess how I might know.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I was a bit surprised as I primarily just neck size with a LEE collet die. So I know that excessive head space is unlikely. I did shoot several max loads though this hornady brass it is significantly lighter than my Winchester or RP brass.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 03/28/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

You can quess how I might know.

There are times I shouldn't laugh but I do anyway. I wish I had a nickel for every thing I've learned the hard way and a dime for every time I've learned the same thing the hard way twice.

Wisdom arises from experiences which arise from ignorance.

Thanks for the giggles. wink

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You`re welcome:)
Have a nice day!!

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I really think it is the lot of hornady brass. I have been through several loaded Winchester brass For this rifle and have not run into this problem. I have noticed a couple other Of the hornady brass starting to show similar signs in the same spot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep...I`ve a lot of Nosler for my 8x57 that`s doing the same thing. Don`t try to get by with another loading in them, toss em.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I was on my 5th loading in my ‘06... after collet resizing and inspecting cases I noticed my Hornady case developing a bright horizontal line near the case head. I could feel the “line” with my fingernail. I have never had a case separation but figured I better trash this brass. Primer pockets were tight and all sizing has been with a lee collet die or a properly adjusted fl sizing die (head space dimensions are always checked). I figured I would post pictures to help “newbies” to know what to look for. Kind of sobering to think I could have overlooked that if I wasn’t being careful. It seems (?) Hornady Brass is particularly prone to this. Note the groove on the inside of the case, right where the shiny line is on the outside of the case.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/14714666/case-head-separation-starting

If you look inside the case with a flashlight, you'll see a shadow from that ring if it's starting to form. It's worth checking once in a while; easy/fast to do and you don't need to waste time with a paper clip.

If you found one, it's worth checking everything else too.

Also- by any chance did you anneal that brass very much?

Last edited by Yondering; 04/05/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All the years I've reloaded, most of them I've always considered that ring a tell tale sign of a sloppy chamber, excessive headspace. If you actually find it's something else it would be nice to hear about it. My under standing of what happens is with a sloppy chamber or excessive head space, the case is pulled forward some in firing but the solid head doesn't move. Result is the case is pulled right at the head and separation begins. Fix is partial resizing making the case fit the chamber. Now wondering if you had any other brand of case do the same thing or have you only shot Hornady in that rifle? Does the Lee collett die only neck size or does it actually FL size but with a collet?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you have to trim that brass a lot?

If so the case is stretching for some reason.

But another possibility is that a case can be be damaged on the initial firing.

Neck sizing only on subsequent firings, when done properly, will help to prevent any further stretching, but the damage may have already been done the first time out of the gate.

You can determine this by checking the inside of the case after the first time you fire it. That would be useful information to have.

I haven't seen case stretching that looked like your pics so I wouldn't rule out a manufacturing defect at this point.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
When I first started reloading I had this problem with a 300 win mag and a 22-250. My problem was I was resizing to far. Backed off the dies and 45 years later everythings ok. Good luck. Ed k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by ERK
When I first started reloading I had this problem with a 300 win mag and a 22-250. My problem was I was resizing to far. Backed off the dies and 45 years later everythings ok. Good luck. Ed k

My first experience with oversizing cases and case head separations was with the 300 Win Mag also.

Originally Posted by RiverRider
I wish I had a nickel for every thing I've learned the hard way and a dime for every time I've learned the same thing the hard way twice.

Wisdom arises from experiences which arise from ignorance.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll never live long enough to experience them all first hand. smirk

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

66 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, AscensionIndustries, 2500HD, 13 invisible), 1,102 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.