Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Sniggly
My intended purpose? I have to honestly answer that I have no idea - other than to see if the monolithic would shoot in my rifle.

That's a great reason to try it.

I appreciate you posting about this experience, because I learned something.

Thanks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
My intended purpose? I have to honestly answer that I have no idea - other than to see if the monolithic would shoot in my rifle.

Thanks.

I'm afraid to ask, but I'm also compelled; what did you learn??

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
First off, what the op is doing is not a "ladder test". The last time I did a "ladder test", I also used my chrono. If you watch the chrono, it will tell you where the accuracy nodes should be. Couple that with what you are seeing on paper and whala, you should be on to a good group or 2, depending on where you want to be as far as pressure and velocity. What I see here is basically the OCW method, not a true ladder. Like rost said, a ladder test is better shot at further distances: Generally at least 300-500 yards. That way you can see where the bullets start to level off and start to cluster. Also, shooting 3 shot groups isn't really telling you the whole story. Sure, a lot of us do it. I'm guilty myself, but like I said earlier, If I had a bullet that was shooting 5" groups like the op is getting, I'd chit can the idea of using said bullet. That actually happened to me the other day when I was shooting my 6WOA. The reason I told 79s I'd sell the damn thing to him grin whistle. Yeah, it didn't like 90gr gamechangers. I was so pizzed when I shot some 4" groups with what is normally a sub moa rifle shooting 85gr sierra gamekings. There are guys here that can possible help the op. Good luck with it...

The reason not to shoot 10-20 shot groups to start with is waste of time, ammo etc..

IF I"m going to shoot groups rather than an Audette test, then I load either 2 or 3 max. if 2 or 3 are inches apart, there is no need to shoot a couple more...

IF I find 2 or 3 close or touching, I have to go back and shoot more of course. One way or the other the numbers might work out the same but it usually aggravated me to shoot a couple in a huge group and realize I still had a few more of that charge to waste.. I hate pulling loaded ammo down...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Update!

Looks like mah wee litt'l rifle has nae a taste fer that 70 grain GMX. It's a no go me-thinks. Too many things working against. Some nice flattened primers as well. Thanks for the help. 100 yards from a rest.

Attached Images
IMG_0738(1).jpg (30.4 KB, 72 downloads)
Last edited by Sniggly; 03/31/20.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Thanks.

I'm afraid to ask, but I'm also compelled; what did you learn??

I learned those bullets are too long to properly stabilize in a 1/8 twist.

You may have saved me some money.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
62 TSX (no tip) will run in that twist.

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
62 TSX (no tip) will run in that twist.

Thanks Dakota. Having really good results with a 65grain SGK right now, but I’ll put that tsx on the list.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 44 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.