Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Heading to Montana next month (hopefully) for a DIY bear hunt. Any recommendations on a tripod for a spotting scope. Trying out an Athlon Ares 15-45 x 60 (which hopefully arrives in time). I’m getting analysis paralysis from researching. I’d like to have first hand info from guys that actually use this stuff for backpack hunting. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't worry as much about the tripod as I would which head to use (did I say that out loud?), unless you only plan to use the tripod to get a better look at a bear you've already spotted.

Get something sturdy. I like carbon fiber, but aluminum is OK too. Twist locks almost ALWAYS work better than lever locks, especially with dirt and grime in there. I despise the little internal stabilizers that attach from the post to each leg, as those legs can't be spread (ha!) very far apart. I rarely need to stand when glassing, so I don't use a real tall tripod. I mostly glass when sitting.

With that in mind, most any brand is OK for what you need. Get a good head though. Pistol grips and ball heads have their place, but for extended glassing sessions, I wayyyy prefer a pan head because you can glass on a perfectly horizontal (or vertical) plane, without "migrating" up or down, if that makes sense. If you plan to only use the tripod when the spotter comes out to look at a critter that you've already spotted, then even a somewhat cheaper ballhead or pistol grip would be fine.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Slik CF634 is great for packing, light and has twist locks!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've used a Slik Sprint Pro II with the factory ball head for going on 10 years. I take the center tube out of it....weighs about 30 ounces that way. Flip-locks that have never given me an ounce of trouble. I typically use it sheep or caribou hunting with a Swaro 20-60x65mm ATM HD (angled magnesium...not made any more). Used sitting, set up over my legs with the tripod legs flattened out to the second notch for a wider base and more stability, which is good when set up with only 1-1/2 to 2 legs used of the three. Legs have foam over the aluminum where you hang on to it.

I use it standing ffully extended or a quick look on occasion. Works, but not as stable as you'd like. I have a big heavy Bogen aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto pistol grip head for the truck, quad and window at the house. Probably a 10# unit that is great standing but only when you don't have to carry it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I wouldn't worry as much about the tripod as I would which head to use (did I say that out loud?), unless you only plan to use the tripod to get a better look at a bear you've already spotted.

Get something sturdy. I like carbon fiber, but aluminum is OK too. Twist locks almost ALWAYS work better than lever locks, especially with dirt and grime in there. I despise the little internal stabilizers that attach from the post to each leg, as those legs can't be spread (ha!) very far apart. I rarely need to stand when glassing, so I don't use a real tall tripod. I mostly glass when sitting.

With that in mind, most any brand is OK for what you need. Get a good head though. Pistol grips and ball heads have their place, but for extended glassing sessions, I wayyyy prefer a pan head because you can glass on a perfectly horizontal (or vertical) plane, without "migrating" up or down, if that makes sense. If you plan to only use the tripod when the spotter comes out to look at a critter that you've already spotted, then even a somewhat cheaper ballhead or pistol grip would be fine.

good head is definitely important!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a Sirui T-005X aluminum tripod, the difference in weight between it and carbon model was only a couple of ounces and the aluminum was much better priced- I stripped out the lowest section of legs (put rubber tips on the next section) and also the screw in center section and got the weight down to under 2 lbs w/ the ball head that came with it (which is very nice!)- they also make a pan head if a guy prefers that

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I ordered a Slik sprint 2 with pan head. 2lbs 5 oz. seems to be pretty good quality. New spotter is coming Monday so I can see how it all balances out. Thanks for the recommendations

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 13 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.