Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 10 years ago, I bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle in 223. It wouldn't shoot. There were a few things wrong with it, but one was a dismal XMP trigger. The screw came right out of the the trigger group and the pull weight never changed. I realize that this was the trigger that was involved in the recall.

I understand that some people do not like factory Remington triggers. I have read here that the best repair is removing it and installing a Timney. The bad press has been going on for years. I was doing a Google search, trying to find out about the post 2014 X Mark Pro trigger, but cannot seem to find exactly what they did to make things right. Was it simply using less Loctite, or did they do something else to modify the design? Is the XMP trigger better, post 2014?

I have put in an information request to Remington, but my spidey sense tells me that their response will sound like a cheerleading squad. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Update: I posted this information request at a couple of other sites. It is too early to hear back from Remington.

Only one person has responded, indicating that no one actually knows what Remington did. The sole response suggested that nothing was done mechanically. He posted that the trigger had excess Loctite removed from inside the trigger housing and a punch mark placed on the bolt release tab.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is correct. The recall was due to some triggers having excess glue on screw inside the housing. All they do is remove the screw and clean it out and reapply with dab of glue.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

As far as I can determine, 805 is exactly right.

I have at least half-a-dozen 700s (and one 722), but only one of the 700 is post X-Mark, a .204 made in 2008. I could never tell any diference in the trigger structure, and by the time the recall occurred I'd fired the thing several thousand times with no problems--so apparently the trigger isn't one of the gunked-up ones.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally, the reason I wanted to find out was because a friend of mine has the chance to buy a new Remington 700 at a great price. I am not a Remington fan, and told him to buy a Tikka. Unfortunately, he cannot afford one. He asked me about the XMP trigger and I did not want to tell him about my single, bad experience with them. He's excited to be getting this rifle, so it would be mean spirited to tell him that there are better choices - the low price notwithstanding.

I suggested that he buy the rifle and upgrade it when funds allow. Later, I wondered if Remington had actually changed anything as a result of the recall. It would appear not.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought an X mark to replace the trigger on my 1990 vintage 700. I bought it before I knew about the recall, so I just stuck it in a drawer and bought a Timney. Can I send it to Remington and have them do the recall work, or is it too late?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
I bought an X mark to replace the trigger on my 1990 vintage 700. I bought it before I knew about the recall, so I just stuck it in a drawer and bought a Timney. Can I send it to Remington and have them do the recall work, or is it too late?

I would contact them directly and ask.

infoshopremingtoncountry.com
1-877-387-6691

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

I would contact them directly and ask.

infoshopremingtoncountry.com
1-877-387-6691

Yeah, that probably will eliminate the guesswork....go right to the source. Thanks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a recall trigger and I called Remington and asked if I could just send the trigger in. They quickly said yes, saves them a ton of money in shipping. Not sure if you don't have a gun but I doubt they want a "recalled" trigger out there. My guess is that they will gladly replace it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I had a recall trigger and I called Remington and asked if I could just send the trigger in. They quickly said yes, saves them a ton of money in shipping. Not sure if you don't have a gun but I doubt they want a "recalled" trigger out there. My guess is that they will gladly replace it.

I just fired off an E mail....we'll see! The website has a place to check your rifle, but in my case I don't have the original rifle, just a trigger. I ran into it the other day and wanted to find out, and then this thread caught my eye.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of the early XMark-Pro triggers discharge when I pushed the safety off, this was on a rifle made in 2008. I've been replacing those triggers with Timney's. I have a couple of newer rifles on which I put an Ernie the Gunsmith spring in, and turned a crappy trigger into a good one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No reply to my E mail yet, maybe the virus has shut down that part of the company.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
No reply to my E mail yet, maybe the virus has shut down that part of the company.

I am going to talk to him about replacing the OEM trigger with a Trigger Tech. They are $200 CDN Dinars, but worth it if he intends to keep it. And the stock too. I'll have to look around for an aftermarket for this rifle.

"Please Steve, please don't say, 'Have you thought about replacing that with a...' I can't afford it!"

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Trigger Techs are awesome triggers

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a 700 with that trigger. It was set up really well, shot like a house afire...when I contacted them about the recall they said they'd send me a shipping box so I could send it back to them and get it fixed. Six weeks later, I got the box. I asked myself if I wanted to dismount a proven, sighted in scope, mounts and rings from a great shooting rifle and send it in to have the trigger (which had never given me a moment's grief) fixed by a company that took six weeks to get a damn shipping box to me. It took me two days to get a Timney trigger sent to me and 15 minutes to swap out the old one.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The XMP trigger must be alright, at least as far as factory triggers go. There cannot be anything unsafe with them or they would have been replaced with another design.

Some people replace their triggers with a lighter, crisper aftermarket one. In the case of the XMP, I can understand. My personal sample of one, as well as the triggers of other 700s I have tried, indicates that it is an inexpensive but functional mechanism. I wonder if the Remington staff expect that their trigger will be replaced with an aftermarket one by many of their customers? Or more to the point, I wonder if they have a percentage in mind of the number that will be replaced? It's pointless to waste money or effort on something that will be tossed away.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Remington M700 SPS is a great shooting rifle once you’ve replaced the stock with a McMillan Hunter’s Edge, bedded it and installed a Trigger Tech trigger. Not a writer, and I know this isn’t what you ask, but IMO it’s what it takes to turn the rifle into one you can depend on for years to come. I have one in 7mm-08 with all the above that I am quite fond of, and which now shoots great.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Reminton 700 SPS Stainless, 257 Weatherby with the XMP trigger, pre 2014. Never had a problem with the trigger, been shooting it 10-12 years. My 16 year old grandson has taken a shine to it. Funny how the Remington trigger weighs on your mind. After 12 years of no problems, I replaced the XMP with a Trigger Tech for my Grandson.

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.