Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it can be done smile

typically canister stoves start showing diminished output around freezing, the colder it is the more output is diminished

old tricks I've used- keep the canister in the foot of my sleeping bag; warm a little water and put it in a bowl- add canister- voila

but the best "trick" is one I just recently tried- a thin copper strap that is heated by the flame and transfers enough heat to the canister to keep things firing nicely; not an original idea- lots written about it and lots of experimentation (some down to negative double digits). from my reading a 1" strip and roughly 20 gauge thickness

I also found that my new stove-a MSR PocketRocket "Deluxe", has made a big difference in performance in colder weather as it's regulated (vs most canister stoves that are not)

looks like this

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

and in use

Last edited by mtwarden; 03/24/20.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right on McGyver!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
can't take credit for it, but after reading about it was intrigued enough to try it- it works smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, consider that idea stolen.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden
can't take credit for it, but after reading about it was intrigued enough to try it- it works smile

Yep, as I recall a gentleman from New England that posts over on the BACKPACKINGLIGHT.com gear forum (A forum.that many here should look at) first developed those copper "thermal feedback strips" around five years ago.

Of course, the key is to not overheat the camister.. (kaboom!)

Last edited by jk16; 03/25/20.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent tip! Thank You for sharing it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jk16

Yep, as I recall a gentleman from New England that posts over on the BACKPACKINGLIGHT.com gear forum (A forum.that many here should look at) first developed those copper "thermal feedback strips" around five years ago.

Of course, the key is to not overheat the camister.. (kaboom!)

Indeed, the "Moulder Strip" originated with Bob Moulder from NY:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/98947/?offset=8900#comments

A followup thread:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/testing-moulder-strips-at-15f-26c/

And yet more:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/moulder-strip-directions/?offset=15450#comments

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For stoves with inline hose, turn the canister upside down.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a MSR Winpro that allows me to do that and it definitely works pretty well, of course it's more than double the weight of my PRDeluxe

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
That is a neat rick.. Thanks for sharing

it can be done smile

typically canister stoves start showing diminished output around freezing, the colder it is the more output is diminished

old tricks I've used- keep the canister in the foot of my sleeping bag; warm a little water and put it in a bowl- add canister- voila

but the best "trick" is one I just recently tried- a thin copper strap that is heated by the flame and transfers enough heat to the canister to keep things firing nicely; not an original idea- lots written about it and lots of experimentation (some down to negative double digits). from my reading a 1" strip and roughly 20 gauge thickness

I also found that my new stove-a MSR PocketRocket "Deluxe", has made a big difference in performance in colder weather as it's regulated (vs most canister stoves that are not)

looks like this

and in use

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We used to use a flattened piece of copper tubing and a windscreen for winter climbs. I remember Mark Twight describing the methodology in one of his books written in the '90s he might have gotten the concept from Todd Bibler for use w/ his hanging stoves.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
We used to use a flattened piece of copper tubing and a windscreen for winter climbs. I remember Mark Twight describing the methodology in one of his books written in the '90s he might have gotten the concept from Todd Bibler for use w/ his hanging stoves.

mike r

Very interesting. Thanks.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
One of the few good things about being an aged mountain guy is living through the advances in gear and knowledge and knowing some of the pioneers.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
One of the few good things about being an aged mountain guy is living through the advances in gear and knowledge and knowing some of the pioneers.

mike r

Yeah, I've been fortunate to be around this stuff since the mid 1970's but I'm always learning something new...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its great to see basic heat transfer physics at work.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a good idea. Two questions.

1. So where does a person go to buy a 6" x 3/4" Strip of 20 gauge Cu?

2. What's that gray thing attached to the stem of your Pocket Rocket? Looks like an anti-theft device. Did you rip off your stove? wink whistle

The picture of your stove in the snow includes a flat stone for a stove base to insulate the canister from the snow. The stone is probably cold. A small slab of cardboard or 1/4" plywood works pretty good. A few sticks laid down parallel to each other works good also and you don't have to carry them in your pack. Tie them together with a shoe string.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
got mine on Ebay- think it came in a 10" strip???? I'll look for the link

the "stone" is a closed cell foam piece (two pieces) I made to insulate the bottom smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
looks like it's 24 gauge

here's the link, comes in a 12" piece

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COPPER-STR...3363210&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KC
Looks like a good idea. Two questions.

1. So where does a person go to buy a 6" x 3/4" Strip of 20 gauge Cu?

2. What's that gray thing attached to the stem of your Pocket Rocket? Looks like an anti-theft device. Did you rip off your stove? wink whistle

The picture of your stove in the snow includes a flat stone for a stove base to insulate the canister from the snow. The stone is probably cold. A small slab of cardboard or 1/4" plywood works pretty good. A few sticks laid down parallel to each other works good also and you don't have to carry them in your pack. Tie them together with a shoe string.

HAHA now that is funny! I could be wrong but it appears to be a track for one of the wall mount modular rack systems you put in your garage. I think the stove valve looks as if it is touching the end cap of the racking.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
oh I missed that part, yeah it's a garage rack setup in the first picture smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
763 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.