Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'll start this one. Been kickin' the tires for several years on a hunt in Africa. Couple of locals I know have suggested a PH in Namibia, and over time I've had a chance to converse with him at the local SCI functions. Biggest hold back for me was I didn't want to go it alone - being single and thus being able to afford certain 'luxuries' can be a disadvantage at times.

Over the coarse of the last few month my cousin has strongly hinted about going to Africa and his bucket list of trophies. He too is in the same boat, single and can afford a few luxuries. After multiple discussions we agreed that if a hunt gould be bought at the 'right price' we'd go together. As luck would have it, we did find a hunt priced right at one of the local SCI functions. So in May of 2021 we'll be traveling to Namibiafor 10 days of hunting with a list of trophies that include, Gemsbok, Kudu, Impala, and warthog for sure. Undoubtedly there will be other trophies opportunities that we'll have to play by ear and decide on while we're there. Needless to say we're stoked.

That is very nice, you'll finally get to to hunt in Africa and I do not mind when that time comes, you'll have to share pictures with us, pictures with the trophies too and the beautiful nature of Africa. Cheers Mate!

All is well, when you are calm and bold.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Given the current state of world affairs aka COVID-19, we are wondering what effect it may have on our plans. Waiting to hear what the PH/Outfitter has to say.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am confident your PH is quit the oracle. His crystal ball is so much clearer than anyone else and he can predict which outfitters are going to survive the financial devastation of probably loosing the 2020 hunting season. He would certainly not let his personal financial situation cloud his recommendation of getting your deposit in to hold your dates for 2021. While he is issuing his prognostications be sure to consult with him which international airlines are going to survive so you can book some cheap seats. After all the airlines will refund your money. Of course they to have remain in business to do that.
Sarcasm off. During the mortgage financial meltdown I faced a similar situation. There were bargain hunts available everywhere. I hunted buffalo for 7 days for $7000 and brought 3 non hunters to camp. With 30% unemployment, 30% drop in the stock market and an unknown survival rate for small business some of the annual Dark Continent Bawanas have inevitably seen their last Safari.
Another unknown is what the effect of CV-19 will be on Africa. Climate, population densities, natural immunity to the virus, etc. remain to be seen. However the two factors that are known after personally observing them are the abysmal state of health care and the near total dependence on foreign aid for drugs (HIV). With first world countries up to their azz in alligators right now African aid might dry up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As I've said before and will continue to say, Africa, like most every country is rapidly changing. Some for the better and some for the worse. I think this current WuFlu is just one more factor, similar to the impact HIV/AIDS has had. I'm mostly worried about the short term impact this will have on many of the govt's there and if the various "Presidents" there see/believe they can turn these lock downs in to Marshall Law due to the highly likely riots that will occur if they try to keep their populations on prolonged lock down. This is more of a political discussion that might be better discussed in a new thread.

So keeping this more in line with the impact on future hunting only and viability/sustainability of particular PH's/Outfitters, I'm sure some will not survive economically. Will depend on how they are organized. What I mean by that is that if they are land/farm owners that have other sources of income available from the livestock and game on their property, while they will have a hard time, they are most likely to survive a very shortened "FOREIGN" hunting season. They will still have a few local meat hunters and likely be able to obtain culling permits to take PG animals for meat sales to the local markets.

IF a PH/Outfitter doesn't own land they hunt on, then they basically have only two options: a) they work with the local landowners and work out a deal for access to the land either via an annual lease with quota limits or pay a daily access/trespass fee and per head fee for each animal taken. They usually add a percentage on the "head fee" they pay to the landowner. These PH/Outfitters don't have a lot of overhead or fixed costs if they're just paying a daily trespass fee. Down side is, they usually don't have any other source of income. Some will hire out to the landowners to to their cull/meet hunting for them but it's just enough for food, fuel and bullets.

Third group are those that don't own land and have to lease concession areas from either the Communal Lands or from the Govt. Those agreements usually require the entire fee for the season be paid up front and it's very unlikely they would get a refund of any amount. Same thing with this group in that they generally have no other source of income/employment.

Obviously, some guys operate with a toe in one or more of these generalizations. I my personnel view, the one's most likely to be around next year will be the PH's/Outfitters based off their own and surrounding farm/ranch lands.

Medical care in most of sub Sahara Africa, other than RSA while under apartheid and just years after majority rule, has been a good bit short/behind most western standards. I don't think the WuFlu in itself will change that much for the better or worse WHEN THIS ALL SETTLES DOWN and it will settle down.

I do think it's highly likely that if this sorts out anytime yet this hunting season, both in countries opening boarders and airlines getting up and running, there will be some UNBELIEVABLE deals as far as hunting and airfares for those that are ready and willing and have been able to set aside some money to take advantage of it.

Just my opine and I tend to be a bit on the optimistic side. As long as there is no serious political fallout, I think things will get back to "normal" pretty quickly once things start to open.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.