Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14703733 03/25/20
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Never heard of it until the other day.

Anyone make it and care to share a recipe, or tips?

Thanks,

Jason

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well now I've heard of it, I still don't know what it is?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
According to Hank Shaw,

"What has carried on since the Civil War, however, is the concept of burgoo as a very thick stew — thick enough to stand your spoon in it. How you get there is more a matter of personal taste.

There are as many versions of burgoo as cooks throughout the Greater Burgoo Diaspora, which is basically Kentucky, southern Illinois and Indiana, as well as parts of Ohio River Valley."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Made it for the first time yesterday. Used Hank Shaws Kentucky burgoo recipe. Called for venison pheasant and rabbit or squirrel. I used venison chicken and rabbit. It has 3 meats potatoes corn lima beans onions corn garlic celery and carrots and some broth. Add Worcestershire at the end. I'll make it again. Squirrels would be better than rabbits I think but I didn't have any. I used venison round. Neck would have been better.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have The Stag Cookbook, copywright 1922, which has this recipe for a Burgoo by a Dan Beard:

"Clean and dress the meat of a soft-shelled turtle, a painted turtle, a poker-dot turtle, or almost any other kind of turtle. Clean and dress a rabbit, a ruffled grouse, moose meat, elk meat, deer meat, sheep meat, in fact any sort of game. Cut your meat into pieces about the size of inch cubes. Save the bones, especially the marrow bones, to put in with the meat. Add some salt pork cut into cubes, if you have it.
If you have been thoughtful enough to supply your outfit with some ill-smelling, but palatable dry vegetables, they will add flavor to your burgoo, put all the material in a kettle, and fill the kettle half full of water. If you have beans and potatoes, do not put them in with the meat because they will go to the bottom and scorch. While the stuff you have already put in the kettle is boiling, or simmering, peel your onions and quarter them, scrape your carrots and slice them, peel your potatoes, cut them up into pieces - about inch cubes. After your caldron has commenced to boil dump in the fresh vegetables, they will cool off the water and kill the boil. Do not let it come to a boil again, but put it over a slow fire and allow it to simmer. There should always be enough water to cover the vegetables. A can of tomatoes will add greatly to the flavor. Use no sweet vegetables like beets or sweet potatoes. Put the salt and pepper in just before you take it off the fire. When the burgoo is done, strain it into tin cups. The liquid out of an olive bottle adds greatly to the flavor if you pour it in while the stew is cooking.. If you have such luxuries in camp as olives and lemons, a slice of lemon with an olive in each cup over which the liquid is poured makes a dish too good for any old king that ever lived.
The excellence of a burgoo depends upon two things, the materials you have of which to make it and the care you take in cooking it. No two burgoos are alike, and every one I ever tasted was mighty good. Civilized material such as can be purchased at the butcher shop and the vegetable store makes a good soup, but the "goo" isn't there. Consequently you cannot call it a burgoo."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had Swedish neighbors by that name growing up.

Good folk! Never tried heir stew?

😆

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner

😆

It was passed down from one generation to the next.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shotgun Red has a video of it on YouTube.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Burgoo is a town in WV near where I was born. thake it for what its worth..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by MadMooner

😆

It was passed down from one generation to the next.

Waiter there's a heir in my stew.

Set them free again
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds similar to Brunswick stew

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Friends have had several Burgoo parties. Everyone is to bring a bit of wild game if they have it, or some veggies. Ours will usually consist of rabbit, squirrel, deer, & doves. One year some crazy woman dumped 2 or 3 pounds of shrimp in. We thought great. Only when we started eating did we find out she hadn't peeled them.

Big cast iron kettle over an open fire. A big stir stick, sometimes a canoe paddle. Every attendee is to at one time, stir the pot. If you do, you get to put your name or initials on the stick. Your name not on the stick you eat last.

Drink beer, tell stories, drink beer, stir the pot, bot literally & figuratively, drink beer, eat. Take kettle off fire, build the fire up, stand around it, drink beer.

Be sure & take a 1 gallon ziploc or a big tupperware bowl with lid so you can take home leftovers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Around my parts, all BBQ restaurants that are worth eating at serve burgoo. It's made with pork, chicken, and sometimes mutton barbeque, along with an assortment of vegetables, and tomato juice, as well as seasonings. It is very similar to Brunswick Stew. I've never eaten the wild game version, so can't comment on that. My wife has the recipe that was used by one of the most famous BBQ joints around here, and will make a batch every few years.

There are as many different recipes for it as there are any other kind of regional food, and everybody thinks their version is the best.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sounds similar to Brunswick stew

It is. I'd never heard of it burgoo until I started a thread about Brunswick stew. James was the only reply I got and he suggested burgoo so I made that instead.

Set them free again
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Heard of it, seen it on TV and in ads over my lifetime never et it.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Well, I made it for the first time yesterday. I have to say, it came out much better than I expected and was actually really good. I loosely followed a recipe from Garden&Gun, which claims that it came from the Chef at Holly Hill Inn in Midway, KY. I don't know anything about any of them.

For meat, I used chicken thighs, beef, and some ham that I smoked. Also some sort of dry white bean, celery, onion, carrots, peas, corn, and potatoes. Recipe called for some A1 steak sauce, but I used a bit of homemade BBQ sauce.

Might not be authentic, if there is such a thing, but I'll definitely make it again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/28/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That looks awesome!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kingston
That looks awesome!

Sure does.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, I made it for the first time yesterday. I have to say, it came out much better than I expected and was actually really good. I loosely followed a recipe from Garden&Gun, which claims that it came from the Chef at Holly Hill Inn in Midway, KY. I don't know anything about any of them.

For meat, I used chicken thighs, beef, and some ham that I smoked. Also some sort of dry white bean, celery, onion, carrots, peas, corn, and potatoes. Recipe called for some A1 steak sauce, but I used a bit of homemade BBQ sauce.

Might not be authentic, if there is such a thing, but I'll definitely make it again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Add some bacon and it would be good to go! 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Im in......looks great.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.