24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My oldest son and I are heading to idaho for mulies. We’re more than likely going to get an OTC license but will put in for a draw hunt first( controlled hunt).
I’ve only hunted the opener there the last 2 times I went and wondered if there are those that wait for later in the season to hunt and why. We can only hunt for one week( get there Friday and fly out the following Saturday). Lots of time on my hands so musing on decisions for the fall.

God Bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This can be a real toss up.. Early you have more deer, later the weather moves the deer, but getting to them can be a problem !! I guess I like earlier hunts..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It depends a lot on the length of the season, and time of year.

If it's a short season (1 week or less) I'd be out there right away. If it's a longer season, especially if it extends into November, would wait for the rut and/or colder weather and snow.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If ones season extends into the last week of Oct or early Nov then go late. There are some Idaho draw hunts that get well into the rut.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From my limited experience in ID, it would depend on where I'd be hunting. I drew limited entry deer and elk tags for the same unit in the same year. Hunted deer in Oct. Saw some elk, but not lots but did see a good amount of deer. I hunted the elk tag in Nov. Saw more elk and in bigger groups. Hardly saw any deer at all. I understand that this could be limited to the unit I was hunting, but imagine this plays out over other parts of the state.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Where I hunt, the low desert of Kalifornia, it's a good idea to hunt the opener. I don't spend much effort looking for a buck. I watch the other hunters to see where they hunt and how they hunt. If they don't get any shots, I know the bucks are elsewhere. That's because I hunt the whole 3 week season. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It depends a lot on the length of the season, and time of year.

If it's a short season (1 week or less) I'd be out there right away. If it's a longer season, especially if it extends into November, would wait for the rut and/or colder weather and snow.

Exactly my thoughts.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hunt idaho every year. I have the luxury of scouting alot. If I find a big buck I will camp on him, and kill him opening morning. If I don't have a big one found, I hunt later, hoping for the weather to move some deer. Have killed some big bucks each way. Depends on if you can scout.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don’t think the season runs close enough to November to make a difference rut wise. But it’s hard to say. We’re going back in a ways, packing in and staying there. It’s unlikely to see lots of pressure but it would be nice to know what has happened in the area rather than hoping it didn’t get hit too hard. Honestly the more I think about it, backpacking with the boy(14) probably better I hedge my bets on timing to avoid snow. I would like to hunt it with snow but want to make this trip as comfortable for him as possible.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.