Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Just purchased a couple packs of the Hornady 350gr. FPB bullets for a cow elk hunt this Sept. Any and all experiences hunting/shooting with this bullet would be great.

Will be using a T/C Impact with BH209 powder.

Thanks for your replies in advance,

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good bullets if they fit your barrel. Can be a bit stiff to start. It is possible to size them down a bit using an inexpensive Lee die and your loading press.

Used to have a TC Greyhawk that I just couldn't get to group satisfactorily. The FPBs fixed that, and I killed my first ML deer with one.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pap, how does that Lee die work? How do you adjust the bullet diameter to your rifle?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry I missed this.

Lee makes bullet sizing dies that work in a regular loading press. Cost about $20. The bullet gets pushed from below. Lube first with some greasy case lube like Imperial. Measure the FPB, then pick a die a couple of thousandths smaller. I tried .501, but they were still tight in my Knight. .500 might be the ticket. Be wary of going so small that the bullet won't stay put over the powder and becomes a bore obstruction- bad business!

Kinda cut and try, but at least the ticket price is low.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
C
I run an Impact as well with BH 209 and really wanted these bullets to work, but I was never impressed with the groups.

Hope your barrel diameter isn't as large of diameter as mine. My measures right around .504" - I ended up finding Fury Bullets out of Michigan that shoot great.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks COElkChaser,

Not sure what dia. my barrel measures but I can tell you the the FPB measures .506" at the skirt and is IMPOSSIBLE to even get started in my barrel!

I'll check the Fury bullets out!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
not sure i'd suggest the fury bullets as they dont seem to open up at muzzleloader speeds.

Get yourself a sturdy short starter. The FPB really needs it to get them popped into the bore.

it's always hard to suggest conical loads when there is a TC involved, but sometimes you get lucky and find one that shoots them well.

I recently started casting the 395gr lyman plains bullets for my traditions sidelocks for elk due to recent regulation changes, and these suckers shoot amazing in my 1:28 Winchester X-150 and especially in my 1:48 hawken rifles. Casting is something you can consider, but first i'd buy a box of the 385gr hornady great plains bullets and see if your TC will even group well with them before buying a lyman mold and lead.
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Last edited by bigblock455; 03/30/20.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Bigblock 445,

I do cast my own bullets so I already have the necessary equipment. I also have an old tractor counterbalance block of lead that is very soft that would make great ML bullets!

I just don't see me shooting my ML enough to make it worth it.....YET!

I have ordered a .501" sizing die per Pappy348's suggestion for the FPB bullets. Will decide what to do after that arrives and I determine if that is going to work out.

Also have a pack of the Federal 350gr. LEAD B.O.R. Lock bullets to try and may give the THOR bullets a shot before I decide on my elk bullet!

This is turning out to be as involved as working up a load for my 270 Weatherby!

Lots of fun!

Elk Country

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get yourself a sturdy short starter. The FPB really needs it to get them popped into the bore.

Boy Howdy! Once started they slide right down.

Still have quite a few left over from when I used a Greyhawk. Shoulda kept that one, but you know how that goes.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.