Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
AR’s are fun lego guns. I have a couple, and though they’re good stock, there’s some things that need changing. Which armorers wrench for a bit of maintenance. Or for a couple or three builds. What’s your opinion about cost to value? There are so many different ones out there I haven’t a clue where to start.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 03/28/20.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DPMS makes a good one for a reasonable price.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Precision Reflex made a good barrel nut wrench but now a lot of rails have their own proprietary nut and wrench.

Rock River sells a decent receiver extension wrench.

I haven't found a good do it all armorer wrench.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I’ve probably got at least four - as any “one” of the bunch didn’t do everything.

I like the Magpul wrench, and I’m considering the Avid wrench - hammer combo, I think I could dump the rest with these two.

As noted though - a number of rails now take their own wrench, either included, or separate purchase.

The investment I’m really happy with is the barrel extension wrench, Reaction Rod, or whatever the copies are called.

For a basic wrench, the stock GI USMC barrel nut wrench is hard to beat for simple, and will out last you. It usually has the 3/4 circle that catches many of the barrel teeth, and is less prone to slipping off - IMLE.

Avoids - Wheeler Barrel nut wrench - I’ve sheared or bent the lugs pins on the barrel side, and the castle nut side without reaching full torque - they are soft metal in my experience.

Other one I’d avoid spending money on - any of the flat style 3 pin barrel nut wrenches - they will work in a pinch, and I’ve used one of the GI type for years. Yes, I have one in the range box, but it’s more novel tool than a user now. If you slip with one these, it’s going bugger up the barrel nut teeth - IMHO.

If you are meticulous in your work space set up, and can keep the pin plate aligned in the barrel nut - they will work, but cheap barrel nuts will shear the lugs, and cheap copies of these wrenches will bend the pins.

Torque specs for the barrel are available online, and you don’t have to crank it to the max to be “right”. But occasionally- you’ll get a barrel nut that has to go pretty well up the torque scale to clock the nut gaps for the gas tube.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the information folks.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I really like the Avid wrench, works great.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a DPMS and Magpul wrench but if I didn't have any tools and were buying one again today, I'd go with the Avid.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22250rem, 240NMC, 163bc, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.