Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the stock market is stupid, I have yet to met anyone who has built a serious fortune purely with stock market investing.

Uhhh, you are immediately disqualified to participate in this discussion.

how much have you made in the stock market and still have? my accountant who sees over 400 tax returns in a year, I asked him who he knows that has made a fortune in the stock market investing. He said only insiders make money, I am only talking substantial money, anyone might be able to make a little.

how many people do you know that have made and created $20k /month passive income from stock market investing? tell me how many. If I am so unqualified. BTW you have no idea who I am, you have no idea my financial status. pretty interesting blanket statement with nothing to back up what you have done to prove me wrong.

Relax. Don't channel your inner Elkhumper91.

Your statement was simply, " I have yet to met anyone who has built a serious fortune purely with stock market investing"

I don't know the reality you live in. If no one you have ever known has never been successful in the stock market, I am sorry.

But for me personally, I have a dozen elders and siblings in my family who have done just that: Highway Patrolmen (x3), 2 DR's, 4 nurses, mining execs, etc who have made an above average wage, and parlayed that in the market into substantial wealth.

My wife and I included.

What do you define as substantial? How much assets do you want at retirement and what rate of return

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
CC when you talk about passive income do you include dividend producing stocks in that? I have been wanting to buy some good quality dividend stocks to hold long term while this is down. I bought a bunch of RDSb but only held it for a week and then took the significant gains. Its come back down a bit so I may get back in.

I just lost my desire to continue in rental property and only have 1 rental home left. It's a little newer and nicer one so we'll probably keep it. I got tired of renters and even more tired of being ripped off by subs. When my health was better I did most maintenance myself.

It doesn't take much to be a millionaire these days if you count all your paid off assets. And, you can have a million in paid off assets and not feel rich at all. Of course one of the best ways to get there is to pay off debt and act like you're broke while you save part of all income.

I'd like to get to 5 million in assets then I feel like we could retire.

If there's another big dip I'm going to buy some more stocks, maybe some REITs along with solid old companies with dividends.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 5 days back I would have gone with Boeing Aircraft. Before I could get some bonds cashed in it jumped 20% in one day. Too late now to get on their wagon.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/29/20.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Olin
They are almost at an all time low right now. BUT they are worlds biggest producer of Chlorine whitch is in great demand in the last few weeks. Also I heard they (Winchester) got the Lake City contract.

Last edited by louiethedrifter; 03/29/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
If I had 15K to put in the market right now I would split it equally between EPR and RLJ-A.

EPR is a REIT yielding 18% (4.59 per year) and should recover to around $80 in the next two years.

RLJ-A is a non-callable preferred share (REIT) that yields 10.41% (1.95 per year) and will recover to $25 within a year.

I think you are one of the better, of not best, investors offering advice on this forum.

But can you explain your affinity for REITs? I have some family in real estate and they are getting killed. Hotels will be going BK. Housing starts are stalling. Honestly, hotels and commercial RE are two sectors I am avoiding right now. I don't think they've found a bottom and will still take some big losses. What am I missing?

I am better at oil. Please educate us! I am all ears!

Thanks Okie

Duck, first of all I am not qualified to give investing advice. I am not a fiduciary nor professional/licensed adviser. However, I do have an opinion. Both EPR and RLJ-A were victims of a black swan event . . . namely the coronavirus panic and the shelter in place edict. The resultant steep and fast drop in market price was due to that, and that alone. EPR is an "experiential" triple net lease REIT, flush with a billion dollars in cash. They own properties like theaters, ski resorts, amusement parks, Top Golf, and other pieces of property that draws the millenials for an "experience." Obviously with the shelter in place, social distancing rules now in effect, potential customers are afraid to visit these type of locations. As soon as this panic is over and we return to business, the price of EPR should also return to normal, around $80. (see the 1-year chart below.) I didn't get in at the bottom on EPR, but I did buy in at $20, and I am already up 22% on capital gains, and locking in a magnificent dividend.

[Linked Image]

RLJ-A is a Hotel REIT, but it is a unique preferred share, with a PAR value of $25. It cannot be called and I was able to get in at $15.45 and have an unrealized capital gain of 21%. Again I didn't get in at the bottom, but I expect a relative steep recovery once the corona panic subsides. This one is locking in a fat 10.41% dividend, which cannot be called. Preferreds are safer than common shares. Take a look at this one year chart and you can see this has been trading at PAR or above for the past year, until the black swan event.

[Linked Image]

I think both of these are on the safer, more conservative side and no brainers. I can't think of a better way to get some capital gains, while locking in fat juicy dividend yields for the long haul. These are sort of buy it and forget it type investments. They are not for traders. They are for buy and hold investors looking for income producing stocks. If one is not willing to hold for two or three years minimum, I would not recommend buying. This is a sort of turtle and hare investment, and we are placing our money on the turtle.

Both look very solid! I agree nothing alarming with either, they got swept into this "EVENT" and will recover. A great buying opportunity.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dumbazz me has it committed to a 16 day BC goat, moose and elk hunt this fall.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Olin
They are almost at an all time low right now. BUT they are worlds biggest producer of Chlorine whitch is in great demand in the last few weeks. Also I heard they (Winchester) got the Lake City contract.

I pick up some this week.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
the stock market is stupid

This is more of a reflection upon you than the markets.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
or 15 G's of discretionary data

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Orange,

What do you think about VTR? I'm a little nervous to go into Reits right now but I have been watching a few that primarily do health care properties.

Bb

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The Stock market helps get people to the millionaire club . Cum cowboy doesn’t know many people.

are you in the millionaire's club? and since you are educate me on how you used stocks to do so.

you guys mouthing off and running your mouths without knowing what the heck you are talking about because you or someone you know has 120k in a 401k. if you knew what you are talking about you would say, invest THIS way, and this is what I would do. successful people love to tell people how they got there generally. They don't instead mock the messanger and have nothing to add productively. Go ahead ignore all those questions I asked about knowledge of the company first before you give them your money.

for the people that actually want to learn, and actually still want to monkey in the markets read this. you will learn what works and what doesn't by real people who actually make money in stocks, You will also learn why your average investor doesn't make near the money they think they will in the stock markets. Lastly I would say this, they cook the numbers on gains in the stock market, how? lets say the market or fund loses 15% so for every $100 you have $85, The problem is it takes an 18% increase just to get back to where you started, however if you average a -15% and a +18% you come up with a positive number, still but yet the actual money you have isn't positive. If the markets lose greater amounts it takes even greater returns to get back to break even. yet the average rates of return make it look rosy. oh the book!!!! read it. https://www.amazon.com/MONEY-Master-Game-Financial-Freedom/dp/1476757860

Have you considered a scope testing business as an investment? I heard if you get enough clicks then sponsors pay you money.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you decide, think about going in in several buys. Maybe $2K every 2 weeks or so. You may miss the bottom but you will have several opportunities to decide what you really want to do. Dollar cost averaging is still relevant, maybe more so than ever.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Patience .. odds a pretty good we will at least revisit the lows again. I think we will go even lower.

You need to look at this companies as they borrow money to cover expenses, this dilutes shareholder value. Look Boeing's debt ratio, and it's only going to get worse for a while. The .gov will be a Boeing shareholder before it's over to keep them solvent. I would not be a buyer here, not yet. There will be some deals ahead if you have the cash.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Whatever you decide, think about going in in several buys. Maybe $2K every 2 weeks or so. You may miss the bottom but you will have several opportunities to decide what you really want to do. Dollar cost averaging is still relevant, maybe more so than ever.

Dollar cost averaging is still relevant, maybe more so than ever.

I agree with you for the most part. But that statement can be misleading and wrong.

If you are buying small quantities frequently and you have a brokerage fee, you are not doing yourself any favors.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Olin

Might try and find some of their bonds..they issued some 5.625% ones last July , and there are some 9.75% 2023s out there that they plan to replace this year. The CV may delay that..Per Olin they expect a$100mm revenue bump from LC. They also have 9mm contracts for Army, FBI, Border Patrol (U.S. and Canada) plus HSA. .223 for secret service.loo

People and companies who need cash may sell the bonds.

OP,
If you are intent on getting in for the long term a more risk averse approach might be to put in 2-3k / week. That way you can looking carefully at the firms. The money guys are looking closely at balance sheets to figure who they are gonna bet on.

Edit:
I just saw that the Pulp and Paper industry is a customer segment. The paper products craze is subsidizing Olin! Good for shooters!

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/30/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The OP has only posted the Original Post on this thread. Got a few people worked up for naught.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd rehab another property (or 2 or 3) I just got for no money down.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Silver, if I could buy it 5% over spot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Silver, if I could buy it 5% over spot.

LOL, dream on.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tdbob
The OP has only posted the Original Post on this thread. Got a few people worked up for naught.

Well, yah, guilty I guess, just trying to make head or tails of it all. After reading a post that catches my attention, I punch it up online and read about it to at least get a superficial understanding of the subject. Takes time. I try to listen more than I talk.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.