Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I realized a short while ago that I had not seen the word "Sucks" used as a reference to Remington rifles for quite some time. This is a piece of 24HourCampfire lore that needs to be documented. I came rather late to the game (late 2002) and Sucks was already in usage. I never did get the full story on how it got that way.

Why did our esteemed campers call a Remington 700 a Sucks? Who started it? Any idea why it stopped?

My own experience on the subject was that Remington 700's were always just out of reach when I wast starting out. I remember going to Service Merchandise in the early 80's and handling one and just not having the scratch that day for picking it up. I later bought a used Winchester 760 and spent a winter refinishing the stock. Overall, I'm glad I did. The 670 is still in the hands of my youngest son. He loves it. It has taken a bunch of deer over the years for me.

The finish on those 700's looked just too good. I remember standing at the counter in Service Merchandise thinking I was going to have to up my game quite a bit before I'd dare take a nice rifle like that out in the field. Indeed, my first rifle purchase was dominated by that thought. My buddy Jerry offered me a Remington 742 and a 760 for the same price-- take my pick. I bought the 742, because the 760 had fewer marks on the stock-- I wouldn't want to mar that finish.

It's hard to believe that about a third of my life had passed before I handled that first Remington 700, and another 3rd before I heard the term Sucks. About another third has passed here on the Campfire. Time flies.

Last edited by shaman; 03/29/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/73092/1

As to why it stopped, probably because many who were around back then, and adopted it as a term of endearment, are no longer.

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 03/29/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 10 to 12 Remington 700’s. I don’t think any of them suck. I have older rifles up to the newer made rifles. BDL’s, CDL’s, Sendero’s, C grades. All shoot less than an inch. Here is some of them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]fallout new vegas ending music

Last edited by hanco; 03/29/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a bunch of 700s, many customized. They have been reliable and accurate for me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 700 sucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only ever owned one, and that in 30-06. As purchased it was an ADL and would spray factory Rem or Federal ammo in all directions but the orange dot. Never could get it to shoot minute of mouse. But it mattered not much as all my shots were under 150 yards anyway. I still killed lots of deer and don't recall ever missing one as I always took lung shots.

Fast forward 25-years and I'm older, wiser, and more knowlegable about firearms and ballistics. I bought a B&C Medalist stock in BDL configuration and did some hand loading for it. It now shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards with my handloads and one particualr Hornady ammo. Both are HEAVY loads at or near max, punish me rather hard, but they both shoot consistantly accurate and precise with 3-shot groups.

I think the ADL stock left a lot to be desired. And my bench shooting technique back in the day lacked as well. But it was the low end of the line back then and I knew squat.

"SUCK"? I would not say so. Utterly reliable and 1/2" groups work for.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It started many years ago by a member who experienced a bolt handle falling off. Some other members ran with it describing a rifle as e.g. Sucks ‘06, 22”, twisted 10”.........

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
They over penetrate too.... smile

Another classic.

Last edited by las; 03/29/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A few problems out of MILLIONS produced and
A few who didn't like Rem just kept beating the drum.
I have and HAVE HAD more 700s than ALL others combined = = Not ONE problem,

The question should be, "WHY resurrect the idea ?

Post count ? Looking for companions ?

I'm gone and will not be back to this thread.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had many model 700`s.None of them sucked and neither did the Leupolds I had on them. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Huntz
I have had many model 700`s.None of them sucked and neither did the Leupolds I had on them. grin

God bless 700’s and Leupold scopes. They have taken lots of game!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Remington 700 and Leupold scopes are what we use for Ranch loaner guns, they hold up to abuse better than any other rifles in their class, they get run over, dropped, banged around, and get the hell shot out of them, we replace a few when needed. Rio7

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by RIO7

Remington 700 and Leupold scopes are what we use for Ranch loaner guns, they hold up to abuse better than any other rifles in their class, they get run over, dropped, banged around, and get the hell shot out of them, we replace a few when needed. Rio7

That should tell us something. If a hunting operation uses them, they must be good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
It started many years ago by a member who experienced a bolt handle falling off. Some other members ran with it describing a rifle as e.g. Sucks ‘06, 22”, twisted 10”.........

If'n you woulda read the link I posted, you'd see bolt handle falling off wasn't the problem. My memory isn't what it used to be either... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The sucks thing was pretty much a tongue and cheek thing started by Big Stick.
Along the lines of the barrel brake in thing where they throw a rifle on a pile of rocks.
I always thought both of them were pretty [bleep]-ing stupid.
There were two issues about sucks.
Hammer mechanics which shouldnt be allowed within 100 yards of a remington trigger.
Would, without a clue what they were doing, Adjust the trigger.
Screw around with it for awhile. Claim they couldnt get the creep out Screw it up so bad, it actually was dangerous.
And then sell it.
Someone would buy it without knowing johnny hammer mechanic had dicked up his trigger and then have a AD.
Thats bad juju

Then trying to get that extra 100 FPS that they read in a book somewhere.johnny hammer mechanic now turned world class reloader.
Would over load his 7mag and get a stuck case.. use a 2x4 to hammer the bolt open.
then whine and cry like a little girl when the bolt knob popped off.
I think that about covers it.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ironbender

If'n you woulda read the link I posted, you'd see bolt handle falling off wasn't the problem. My memory isn't what it used to be either... grin

Thanks for the link.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have many (6) Remington Model 700s and (2) Model Sevens. Never had a problem with them in my life. They aren’t exactly my favorite but I can’t bad mouth them. Always functioned flawless and were quite accurate.

On the other hand; my father in law, who was a life long DuPont higher up and Remington/DuPont/IMR through and through, has had MANY problems with (1) particular Model Seven. His Stainless/Synthetic Model Seven .300 RSAUM has popped 9 bolt handles off during it’s lifetime. Working on the 10th as we speak. Each time the bolt handle has fallen off while shooting, either in the field or from the bench. Load the rifle, pull the trigger, BANG, attempt to cycle the action, no bolt handle on rifle.

Remington has replaced the entire bolt each time. The rifle has functioned perfectly with each bolt assembly. The rifle has always been sub MOA accurate. The bolt handles just keep falling off.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Whittail, Read you post and understood what you were talking about, I'm pretty sure most of us have heard the same stories about the R-700, in my case I do what works for us. I'm sure you do the same. RIO7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
I realized a short while ago that I had not seen the word "Sucks" used as a reference to Remington rifles for quite some time. This is a piece of 24HourCampfire lore that needs to be documented. I came rather late to the game (late 2002) and Sucks was already in usage. I never did get the full story on how it got that way.

Time flies.

That's what really Sucks. frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.