Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
two of the worst things to happen in the last century ushered in a period of nationalism and prosperity; the depression and ww2. if this isn't a wakeup call to people, govt and business to do things differently i don't know what is. maybe i'm too optimistic. as much as i hate more govt involvement, i can see where federal regulations requiring certain portions of the supply chain to be 100% mfg in the US by US owned companies would be good for companies, workers and the country. and i sure hope that other countries see the folly of allowing a 3rd world communist schithole to essentially own their means of production is a really bad idea. let them make our cheap tv's and tennis shoes, but that's it.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It may have awakened people to the fact that we need to get off China's tit. We rely on them for entirely too many essential items we need/use in this country. Time to bring a bunch of that home and become somewhat self sufficient again. If we do that there will have been a definite bright side to this mess.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jdunham
It may have awakened people to the fact that we need to get off China's tit. We rely on them for entirely too many essential items we need/use in this country. Time to bring a bunch of that home and become somewhat self sufficient again. If we do that there will have been a definite bright side to this mess.

^^^^^ Beat me to it. But EXACTLY THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know I was listening to a few CEO s in big pharma. The one was the CEO of merk. The other CEO was paying merk accolades because they were still making antibiotics. Because the new ones only get used, when the older generic stuff does not. They also said that vaccine is a dead end road to profitability. We hardly use vaccines in the way, blood pressure,hard on pills, etc.

Hopefully government will realize a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This ain't the first corona virus that has jumped species. Perhaps as a society we can focus on infectious disease prevention and treatment. Big pharma can't do it because it has to generate profit for share holders. Government could save trillions if they will use this as a wake up call. But this ain't the first rodeo is it?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Giant reset button.

Retail operations will completely change face. Shopping malls were already on their way out and holding on by a thread. CV19 just put the nail in the coffin. Restaurant industry less an “experience” and more a service. Medical war machine industry in place. Entertainment and sports industry cut in half. Single income family steps back into prominence. The changes businesses made to their operations to suit the current conditions will be the new norm. Excelerated attrition and retirement. Blue collar jobs increase, white collar jobs decrease. Delivery new norm. Education individualized. Business travel insignificant. Back to the gold standard. Residential real estate to takes a hit, commercial real estate tremendous loss.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wake up call on relying less on other countries for what we need.

I know it's against the grain, but I'm enjoying the heck out of social distancing. Loving the time with my family and not having to go, go, go for work, school, sports, "stuff".... I was off work last week, planned far ahead so I could be with my kids during spring break, so it wasn't a big deal not going to work. Work is switched to remote now so I was able to work a lot last week and will be able to continue with that. I'm loving it.....but do hate the reason.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
We are ordered to social distance in Wisconsin and " Safer At Home " is in "order". The other night I said to my wife, there is no difference in my lifestyle . We both laughed. In the last 2 weeks, I have been closer than 6 feet to only 6 people not including the walmart and other box office store I went to .. I go to work and there is noone there cause I mostly work on vacant houses and rental units. I go home and read, shoot my bow in the basement and do sit-ups ETC. Not much different than any other day. I dont think this is slowing down the virus. If it was, you would think that Influenza would be much lower than the cases we have. According to The Center For Disease Control the Influenza cases are elevated this year. This leads me to believe the efforts are not doing anything , or perhaps doing more harm than good. If I'm wrong, why is Influenza so elevated this winter?

Last edited by ihookem; 03/29/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sadly the "Rosie the riveter" mentality no longer exists in this country, for generations now manufacturing jobs have been seen as unglamerous. Getting one's hands dirty was only for those not smart enough to go to college, in order for manufacturing to be brought back into our country that way of thinking must change. Most high schools don't offer any kind of vocational ed classes anymore, however the community college system has lots to offer and is an attractive alternative at lower cost than a four year college education. Many employers still offer incentives and reimbursement for those wishing to take advantage of this. I completed a U.S. Government approved apprenticeship in 1999 and was given a $5K cash incentive by my company. It boosted my earnings significantly and at retirement in 2013 my wages were in the top 1-2% in my profession nationwide. So there is good money to be made in manufacturing, my salary was equal to my wife's who has a Master's in mathemaics and was nearly 2x my brother in law's who has a Phd..

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
social distancing, OCD-like hand washing and staying away from crowds is normal for me. i just wish i'd have stocked up on hand sanitizer and lysol spray and wipes. my germ phobia is in overdrive.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the weaker 10% of the world population would happen to die from this virus (which I doubt) it will be looked upon as a hugely positive event a hundred years from now. The bubonic plague is now acknowledged as producing positive benefits. The plague broke the hold of the Catholic church, learning broke out, probably ended the threat of Mongol hordes, labor became valuable, land became available. In general society became more just. Average life expectancy rose probably due to disease resistant individuals surviving.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Companies who were having trouble finding qualified employees will find it easier to find applicants.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll guarantee we won't be going back to gold/silver backed currency.

The real power brokers will not have any of that, period. We might see the end of paper cash though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dess
Companies who were having trouble finding qualified employees will find it easier to find applicants.

Had this talk with the owner of our company the other day.

Still have to sort through the dumbasses when the time comes.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could see education in the future making a huge change because of the the Covid.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'll guarantee we won't be going back to gold/silver backed currency.

The real power brokers will not have any of that, period. We might see the end of paper cash though.

They'll call cash too disease ridden and dangerous to exchange.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's an ill wind", This is still a great country. I still recall as a child reading about The Little Red Hen.

Roll up the selves, and do it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's an ill wind", This is still a great country. I still recall as a child reading about The Little Red Hen.

Roll up the selves, and do it.

Yep, could be a lot worse.

Wait until the time comes we have curfews. Hope it never happens.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/29/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dess

And a couple hundred thousand people will have the privilege of working for Bezos......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the brite spot would be if Nancy Pelosi gets it. GRIN

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

It's an evolutionary correction.

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.