Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Looking to buy a quality roading harness with a nice, padded chest strap and metal buckles, rings and hardware for the beagle. Nylon or leather OK. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?
Thanks

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
https://www.lcsupply.com/Deluxe-Padded-Roading-Harness/productinfo/SERH/

May be too big for a Beagle...LCS will be able to let you know....

Last edited by battue; 04/12/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try the skijoring supply houses too. There are some pretty nice harnesses out there that produce harnesses of various sizes. The harnesses I have could easily double for roaring harnesses. Mine were privately made many years ago before the sport became somewhat mainstream but there are many companies producing harnesses today.

Skijoring is basically dog sledding on cross country skis. The dog does not provide all the locomotive power but is used as an assist. If one gets more than one dog to pull, hang on! I've had three dogs pulling at once and one can really get moving - on the skis or not. I ran multiple dogs in a fan set rather than inline as it fit better with our abilities and objectives.

It is great winter excersize for both dog and handler and is a whole lot of fun. I've had dogs from 30 pounds to nearly 100 pounds in harness and all enjoyed it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Try the skijoring supply houses too. There are some pretty nice harnesses out there that produce harnesses of various sizes. The harnesses I have could easily double for roaring harnesses. Mine were privately made many years ago before the sport became somewhat mainstream but there are many companies producing harnesses today.

Skijoring is basically dog sledding on cross country skis. The dog does not provide all the locomotive power but is used as an assist. If one gets more than one dog to pull, hang on! I've had three dogs pulling at once and one can really get moving - on the skis or not. I ran multiple dogs in a fan set rather than inline as it fit better with our abilities and objectives.

It is great winter excersize for both dog and handler and is a whole lot of fun. I've had dogs from 30 pounds to nearly 100 pounds in harness and all enjoyed it.

cool

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Try Rae's Harness Shop in Anchorage, AK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Have you seen this done with the big tired, adult scooters (urban mushing)? That looks fun and like something that'd give a dog a good workout.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not officially but I sort of did as a kid using various wagons or sleds and grandpa's hounds. It was a one dog affair as the hounds would want to fight each other when in traces and grandpa would whop us in addition to dog bites breaking up the fight if he found out we were the cause of the fight.

Later on I used the neighbor's Samoyed to pull my sled of ice fishing equipment or a wagon for open water fishing down to the lake. The dog loved that as did the neighbor as that dog got plenty of excersize.

In either case I never did it as a mode of transportation as I was afraid (probably rightly so) that I wouldn't be able to control the dog while in the wagon. Walking with the dog at heel seemed much less risky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a couple of these. I still have my old leather harness but like these better.

https://howlingdogalaska.com/

Good lady to do business with.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son has taken to harnessing up the dogs and hopping ona skate board for some cheap thrills.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

85 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,480
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.