Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMO a gun, more specifically the Savage Model 99 as that I guess is what your book will deal with, is a work of art on its own. Pleasing lines, nice wood, checkering, maybe tasteful, but not extravagant engraving (Model 99K). I hope all the best for you Dave in your book, hope it outsells the press output. I think your 'Savage 99 Rifle' book is the epitome of 99 books, outclasses the Murray book IMO. No offense, just not into carved stocks and/or engraving. The R.L. Wilson book on Colts IMO had to many engraved models on its pages when it could have had just the regular run of the line models, but I guess he had to cater to the New England elite that he associated with at the time. Not saying you are, but believe RL Wilson did at the time and I'm not against anyone who likes a carved and/or heavily engraved receiver or the whole rifle. I just thought I'd post the fact that that type of firearm isn't a "OH-AH" to me and probably a lot of people. I'm just a Iowa hick who loves guns as they are and shoots what he has, not into buying prettied up safe queens or wall hangers. Again all the best on your book Dave.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fact that you don't own or want to own a "prettied up safe queen" doesn't mean that you can't look at a gun like the one posted in this thread and appreciate the craftsmanship and skill of the men that created it. The talent and skill of the men is more admirable to me than the actual gun.

Every "Iowa Hick that loves guns" should be able to appreciate that....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
To me it's like a beautiful woman- curves in all the right places and sexy as all getout- with tattoos covering her arms and back. To some guys those tattoos add to the allure, to others they don't. Depending on the girl (and the tattoos), I sometimes find it attractive but more often I don't. C'est la vie.

Another analogy is raisins on a cookie. The cookie is improved by the raisins- if you like raisins.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never said I didn't appreciate the talent and time it took to carve and engrave-just don't care for it for personal collection. Even if I had $1 mill in the bank destined for nothing but guns, I wouldn't have a carved stock and/or highly engraved firearm. Just my choice. I have eight guitars, the last one I bought set me back a bit over 3G's-I could have bought another pricier one that had excessive IMO inlayed abalone on the fret board, but those IMO are too gaudy. JMO. I appreciate the talent that goes into doing those inlays, but as in over engraved and or carved stocks in firearms, IMO it takes away the natural beauty of the lines, wood, and other things that make either a guitar or firearm a thing of beauty in its own right. Guess I wasn't aware if a person was a member of this forum ya had to agree with every thread/post and couldn't post personal opinions. By the way, "This Iowa Hick really likes this forum"-just sayin'! grin grin laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like metal engraving ,,Its more refined and elegant ,,,,,,,,,,The wood carvings im not a fan of either ,,,look of more rustic gothic look is a turn off for me ,,,,,,,,,prefer the fine checkering and metal engraving look

Work hard ... play hard
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 99guy
The fact that you don't own or want to own a "prettied up safe queen" doesn't mean that you can't look at a gun like the one posted in this thread and appreciate the craftsmanship and skill of the men that created it. The talent and skill of the men is more admirable to me than the actual gun.

Every "Iowa Hick that loves guns" should be able to appreciate that....

Very well said, thank you for posting your most excellent reply.

I ( and I assume most people here ) like old guns because they were made manually ( a skill that isn't common today ). While I normally won't spend upwards of over $7k on a gun, I appreciate the art and skill set required to make them. I'm just a rural Kansas hick but I appreciate quality and expert craftsmanship, especially in a area I'm interested in.

Last edited by damnesia; 03/31/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
To me it's like a beautiful woman- curves in all the right places and sexy as all getout- with tattoos covering her arms and back. To some guys those tattoos add to the allure, to others they don't. Depending on the girl (and the tattoos), I sometimes find it attractive but more often I don't. C'est la vie.

Another analogy is raisins on a cookie. The cookie is improved by the raisins- if you like raisins.

Too bad you aren't as sexy as the women you dream about. laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Savage 94C you should just keep collecting geetars and leave us collectors of fine fire arms alone with your negative comments. As far as I am concerned all geetars are only good for firewood

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=topnotch99]Savage 94C you should just keep collecting geetars and leave us collectors of fine fire arms alone with your negative comments. As far as I am concerned all geetars are only good for firewood[/qu

grin

Last edited by Savage94C; 03/31/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by topnotch99
Savage 94C you should just keep collecting geetars and leave us collectors of fine fire arms alone with your negative comments. As far as I am concerned all geetars are only good for firewood

Everyone's definition of "fine firearm" differs. Last I checked this was still America wherein everyone has a right to their own opinion and the right to express it.

To me "fine firearm" centers around utilty: if it's accurate, of sound design, and efficiently functional it's a fine firearm. Embillishments, and to a degree condition and originality (but only as it relates to the above), don't add to its "fineness"- to me.

Aesthetics are purely a personal matter and to argue about them is pointless.

This is all rather a moot point to me anyway. If I had the kind of jingle to piss away on a toy of that value, I would be shopping for a nice Austi-Healey or an Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder not a rifle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by topnotch99

All points of view should be welcome here and be able to be debated and discussed civilly.

Nuff said about that.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I like pink.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't intend for my thread to say I'm against different opinions. I certainly am not against different opinions. Fortunately our right to our opinions is protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and hopefully they will be protected forever. I enjoy the forum for its diverse opinions. Not everything is my thing. I'm not much into buying 99's that are already bubbaed but I do have a couple. At first I was appalled at Roy's ceracoated 99's but after I heard what he started with I didn't have a problem with them. They are kind of cool but not my thing. I will defend everyone's right to their opinion and welcome their opinion. I would prefer that everyone keep an open mind to what other people like but if they don't again that's their right. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it but not something I would buy. Too bad the highly engraved 1895's and 1899's didn't have the metal sideplates. The Ulrichs and Tue's would have had more area to work with. I hope Amoskeag has photos of the top and bottom of the receiver. I'm thinking about including a chapter for aftermarket engraved Savages.

Last edited by wyo1895; 04/01/20.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the sideplates but then I think a double barrel shotgun without them looks unfinished lol.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 72 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.