Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Used ATVs on craigslist are 10 to 1. Even doing a specific search for yamaha, suzuki or arctic the polaris shows up cause those sellers place those brands as key words in their listing.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In a word, yes. If you gave me one I'd trade it in on something Japanese, preferably Yamaha.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I beg to differ... I have owned them for 20+ years and had zero problems. Just routine maintenance

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Owning is far different than using. Putting around the yard every once in a while and a few weekends at deer camp every year is all the work most will ever likely see.

We use our atvs every day. They're rode hard and put away wet. Yamaha has always proven to be the longest lasting. I just looked and our '12 Grizzly 450 is sitting at 15,800 miles and 4,600 hours. I'd love to see a Polaris that even approaches that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are more used Polaris ATVs for sale than any other make because more new Polaris ATVs are sold than any other make. It's about market share.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MikeL2
There are more used Polaris ATVs for sale than any other make because more new Polaris ATVs are sold than any other make. It's about market share.

Not by a long shot around here. I'd guess the japanese brands outsell polaris 10 to 1. Polaris is pretty much considered a POS by everyone I know, I haven't seen anyone driving one in years.

I've known some guys that owned a polaris. I've never known anyone that bought their second one though.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Never had a Polaris......been around some on trails....

All comes down to features...pricing....warranty.....reputation....promotions

Razr's are popular around my parts...I've have had Honda..Yamaha and now a Kawasaki...

Kawasaki Teryx comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty..unlike the other mfg's 6 months

In spring of '18 they offered $2K off MSRP....that's when I bought mine..its been trouble free at 3500 miles

Utah has miles & miles of public land/trails to ride....when you're 40+ miles from the truck....

You need a reliable machine to get ya back.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The folks here that just use the Rangers for putting around the deer camp or the neighborhood like them well enough. Folks that use them for work, not so much. The gas well hands that drive them every day will typically pick a Japanese machine. My father's Ranger has seldom been used in a harsh or aggressive manner and it's rare that it goes a year or more without something breaking or crapping out. The motor has held up fine, but not much else. On the flipside, the Honda and Yamaha ATVs mostly just get oil and brakes, and they get worked harder.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

just another tid bit.........Teryx oil pan holds 4 qts.........

Most machines are only 2 qt......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I had a Kawi Prairie 650 that made 13,000 miles before got tired of pouring money into it to keep it fixed. Was a lemon from the start and I would be hesitant to go green again.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by justin10mm

I had a Kawi Prairie 650 that made 13,000 miles before got tired of pouring money into it to keep it fixed. Was a lemon from the start and I would be hesitant to go green again.

Mine's blue.......... grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Mine's blue.......... grin

I do miss the growl of that big V-twin.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Polaris R&D department is the customer in my experience. They push a lot of there products out before they are ready, my oil fill is under the fender on my big boss 6 X 6 , they have a lot of firsts and they ride better than most, need to work on reliability.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IME - Polaris aren't all that great.

Back when I first got married - I worked at a dealer and salvage yard. Saw Polaris engineering up close - couldn't give me one. In the time since, owned and ridden with friends who've owned every make and model under the sun.

The brand that consistently had issues, lost the most value and caused the most grey hair was Polaris.

For me - it begins and ends at Yamaha. They run and run regardless of maintenance it seems.

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Honestly, I just pull deer out of the woods with mine. We do a little to manage the property, cutting trees and whatnot. I don't really hotrod mine around or goof off with it. For that purpose, I want it to crank and run. Honda does that for me year after year with little issue. I just change the oil/filter and put gas in it.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm on my second Polaris Sportsman. The first one was a 2000 Sportsman 500 and when I finally sold it 2 years ago, it had over 16,000 miles on it. All I ever had to replace was a belt, tires and 2 CV boots. I bought another Sportsman, a 450 in 2018. It's an incredible machine and I suspect it will give me just as much service as the first one. I've also owned 2 Yamahas and a Kawasaki. Talk about a POS. I'd never buy another Kawasaki.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My experience with Polaris is you get to know the dealer service department real well. Have had 2 Rangers and gave up on them after early clutch failures, overheating, belt problems and engine braking working when it felt like it. Have 2 Yamaha Vikings now and standard maintenance only. Both 2015 1 has almost 7000 the other 5000. They also do better in the traction department than Polaris. The Yamaha has a locked rear in the back and an e-locker in front. Polaris locks after it senses wheel spin which is often too late. Polaris does ride nice and offers an open rear end if you ride on grass/lawns.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I cut and sell firewood use my atvs hard 1st was a Polaris ran it for 3 years sold it for junk. After that I went thru Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki over the years. The only machines I buy today are Suzuki King Quads! You cannot kill them. Kid who worked for me backed one off a ramp where it was sitting with the oil plug and filter removed while I drove to town to buy them. He drove that thing out to the woodyard loaded a car trailer dull of wood and was unloading it when I got back. I just figured it was seized up and stopped there but no it was idling away as he was unloading. Put pan plug in spun on filter and filled it with Rotella when started again it calmwd down after a few minutes and xooled off. I am still using that machine. Fired the kid though.

Life member of the "Antler Club Gun Club"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

90 mile loop yesterday on my '18 Kawi........

Along with a bud on his new 1000 General.....

Another bud with his '14 Razr 800...

Reliablity is very important when you're 45 miles from the truck

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My oldest grandson drives my Yamaha Rhino like he ripped it off from somebody, yes from me, but so far it is holding up well. I wish all makers could figure out how to make the plastics look nice longer.

Life member of the "Antler Club Gun Club"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

90 mile loop yesterday on my '18 Kawi........

Along with a bud on his new 1000 General.....

Another bud with his '14 Razr 800...

Reliablity is very important when you're 45 miles from the truck

I have a '12 RZR 800. It runs great most of the time but I have had a couple issues with it. Last year, the oil pressure valve froze. That requires dismantling the entire engine to get at it. Right now, I have a shop appointment for it next week (assuming the shop isn't forced to close down). It won't run unless it's cranking 2500 rpm or more. It won't idle at all.
I'd trade it but I need a 50" that will fit in my pickup and of the very few 50's made, the Polaris is the only one that will fit in easily. The AC and CanAm are too long. I'd have to leave the tailgate down and I can't do that and pull my camp trailer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had a '97 Sportsman 500, a 2013 RZR 800 Trail LE, and my current machine, a 2019 General 1000. All of these machines have been great, trouble-free vehicles, used for recreational riding, hunting, snowplowing, you name it. Routine maintenance is all I ever have had to do. I would buy another in the future without hesitation.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Polaris are cheap and popular.

I hate the noisy basturds .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cool looking country whether you are ridding junk or not.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, those Rangers sure do suck..........my 2006 500 has probably carried out more dead animals than most people have ever seen.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I have a '12 RZR 800. It runs great most of the time but I have had a couple issues with it. Last year, the oil pressure valve froze. That requires dismantling the entire engine to get at it. Right now, I have a shop appointment for it next week (assuming the shop isn't forced to close down). It won't run unless it's cranking 2500 rpm or more. It won't idle at all.
I'd trade it but I need a 50" that will fit in my pickup and of the very few 50's made, the Polaris is the only one that will fit in easily. The AC and CanAm are too long. I'd have to leave the tailgate down and I can't do that and pull my camp trailer.

The shop found the problem quickly and cheaply. The bolts holding the throttle body had vibrated loose and it was sucking air. That could happen to any of them. So, in 4000 miles, I've had 1 problem with my Razor, the oil pressure valve. It was a pricey fix because it required a complete tear down of the engine to get at it. The part itself was only $10.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a honda atv for 20 years and a polaris for 13. The polaris is more comfortable for me to ride but I have more in repairs in it than I paid for the honda. I am planning to sell or trade the polaris in for a new honda and keep the older foreman.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son, who is a ATV mechanic, says Honda is what I would buy. Most reliable by far.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll never have anything that doesn't say Honda on it. I have a 2012 Rancher that looks like it was used in the D Day invasion. Runs like new. Change oil once a year and put gas in it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Kawi still rolling......

I'm an oil fananic.....usually twice a year......

due right now.....easy to do on this Teryx...4 quarts.....Wix or K&N filter

Front & rear diff's getting fresh oil too.....rear wet brakes are in sealed rear end...

Tractor type hydralic fluid

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I will not drive my Polaris sportsman any farther than I am willing to walk

Learned this lesson the hard way

LC.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best parts of this post are the pics. Love rugged country. Thought Bryce canyon was something to see till Zion blew my mind.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I got's lot's of pics.......... grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great pics!
Wife, dog and I are going to Moab next month with our Polaris General- hope to get some great pics and Go Pro vids of our own.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

LC.

Best advise I've ever read about using our Sportsman 400. The old '96 Kawasaki 300 is more dependable and has a rope starter and compression release if that electric starter wouldn't work. Not so that Polaris. The battery is near impossible to get to and even a new battery last year is dead this year. It is on the charger now hoping to bring it back to life, but I just don't trust that PO(S)laris.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Great pics!
Wife, dog and I are going to Moab next month with our Polaris General- hope to get some great pics and Go Pro vids of our own.

I'm west of Moab......the Swell area.....much less traffic/people..........

but ya got's to know where to go..........north & south of 70

Henry Mtn's are ever so present.....they move........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I got's lot's of pics.......... grin

Yes much more interesting view than trees in a forest. At least to my taste.
Thanks

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice pictures ! i still own just 1 ATV yes its a Polaris it works fine for what i use it for haul`n deer,yard work and grandkid rides. myself when i go out to hunt,hike or whatever i use my 2 feet its quiet,no stink and you see more animals close.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

LC.

Sometimes when I go alone......I think exactly about that....

Even traveling fully equipped with extra gear...spare...patch kit...winch...Viair DC pump.....etc

These modern machines are quite reliable...but one silly computer glitch & you may be screwed

I may end up 40+ miles from the truck...with no hiking short cuts if you had to walk out......

Seeing other persons....especially weekdays may be of no chance...

Most recently I've been riding with a buddy & his '14 800 Razr....good to have company along the way......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
tikkanut,
You are a fortunate man Sir.. That is awe inspiring country.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker
tikkanut,
You are a fortunate man Sir.. That is awe inspiring country.

yes sir.......I realize that & never take it for granted.......

trip planned for Wednesday........

these pics.....Utah's well known but remote Henry Mtn's...last range in lower 48 to be surveyed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been considering a sxs. From what I gather, those RZRs are great when they are running but have reliability issues. Honda has a great reputation for reliability. I owned a small honda ATV and never has a problem. It seems that Honda is sometimes lacking in performance.

Right now, I have a 2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. It is fast and powerful. It’s reliability has been okay, but not great. I am having problems with it now and have thought about replacing it instead of fixing. If I do, it will be for a Yamaha or Honda.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Basically.......what will fit you or your family the best......

2 seater ? 4 seater ? 6 seater ? Your usage ? balls out Dunes.......Trails......hunting/camping/farm-ranch ??

All the big three build good machines........Honda......Yamaha......Kawasaki......

OK........Polaris.........Big 4......... cry

All have good points.......bad points.....

I've had Honda......Yamaha....now Kawasaki......

Features.......pricing........warranty......reviews.......mainly........R E L I A B I L I T Y.....

Me ? loading Kawi for another 80 mile loop adventure in the morning........

Last edited by tikkanut; 04/21/20.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Basically.......what will fit you or your family the best......

2 seater ? 4 seater ? 6 seater ? Your usage ? balls out Dunes.......Trails......hunting/camping/farm-ranch ??

All the big three build good machines........Honda......Yamaha......Kawasaki......

OK........Polaris.........Big 4......... cry

All have good points.......bad points.....

I've had Honda......Yamaha....now Kawasaki......

Features.......pricing........warranty......reviews.......mainly........R E L I A B I L I T Y.....

Me ? loading Kawi for another 80 mile loop adventure in the morning........

It is very good to see you posting RELIABILITY for that area that you ride in Tikkanut. That said I'm remembering that saying that if it has tits or tires, sooner or later you will have trouble with it. There seems to be a logical explanation why those Henry mountains were the last area to be surveyed, they are remote and there is not a lot of traffic back there. And probably why you like it in the first place. There were days that I rode a dirt bike a hundred miles in a day, but that was Wisconsin where I could at least walk out to civilization. Going out there in that remote an area with just you and your UTV is kind of risky imo. Do you carry a satellite phone because I don't imagine cell service is available. That was the epiphany for me when I went out west on my Harley. The wife asked me what if you get in trouble and I told her that I'd just walk to the nearest farm house! That was Midwest thinking. Where I was you could see the curvature of the earth before you would see a farm house. You keep yourself safe out there and maybe think about bringing another buddy with another UTV.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no Sat phone.......been ridin' with a bud or two lately.......

Do carry a GPS ResQ Link devise.......emergency use only.....

Basically a life or death situation to call EMS or Search/Resque

purty big empty country out there.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, those helicopter rescues get kind of expensive, but I suppose when you get to that point, you don’t care much. What about the dust riding with some other guys? The first guy gets a great view and the back guys just get dirty. Even on a dirt bike, the dust was always an issue where we rode.

My other auto is a .45

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Dust.........yes......oh yea......

Utah ...April 2020........

prob go down as one of the driest months on record.....

Our high desert riding area is no exception...

Even for the lead dog.....its dusty...sometimes the wind is generous and blows dust away before next machine

Smart riders space themselves apart to stay out of dust

pic file.......feast or famine.......flash floods or dust....take your pic

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a Polaris 20 or more years ago. Pure junk. A friend of mine works on atv's/utv's. Fixes Polaris 10-1 over everything else combined. Still won't have one on the place. That being said,I know a lot of people have good luck with them.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My son, who is a ATV mechanic, says Honda is what I would buy. Most reliable by far.

Except for their electric shift. Give me a toe shifter or CVT anytime over that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Dust.........yes......oh yea......

Utah ...April 2020........

prob go down as one of the driest months on record.....

Our high desert riding area is no exception...

Even for the lead dog.....its dusty...sometimes the wind is generous and blows dust away before next machine

Smart riders space themselves apart to stay out of dust

pic file.......feast or famine.......flash floods or dust....take your pic

Do you run the factory air intake and filter system on your XTX in all that dust?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Factory air box

keep a spare clean filter on hand

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah, those Rangers sure do suck..........my 2006 500 has probably carried out more dead animals than most people have ever seen.

I’m with JG my older Polaris Ranger has never given me any issues. The only issue I’ve had is the plastic getting busted when I steal mama cows baby calves to band and they ram it. I’ve hauled hay with it, dirt, calves, dead deer, and pigs as well as fencing tools and chainsaws. No ISSUES...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

First Ranger I ever bought was a 2006 Polaris 500.
And one of the best I ever owned. Tried to wear it out. Never could!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Polaris is not reliable in my experience. Yamaha and Honda are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not a fan of Polaris

Here in southern Ohio, the Japanese ATVs command a premium in the used market, Polaris are significantly less in resale value

I've had a couple of Polaris, the '96 Sportsman 400 4X4 and a 2003 Explorer 250 4X4. I did not like the brake system on them, and the combination of belt and chain . and IIRC, the SAE and Metric mix? maybe I'm confused on that, just seemed odd to me . I did like the higher stance, larger footprint and ground clearance they offered - but I'd still go with a Honda/Yamaha

I think Polaris is much more appreciated as an ATV in snowmobile country, but outside of that, my perception is they are a lesser quality alternative.

I've only had a Prairie 650 4x4 in Kawasaki. It was nice, no complaints. Not a fan of Suzuki ATVs mainly because my experience has been temperamental fuel pump/carbs, but I've only had older models.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/22/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[YamahaThreadJack] Just picked up a Grizz 700 EPS today, 37 miles so far.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[/YamahaThreadJack]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just returned from Moab, UT, after a few days of riding the trails. Our Polaris General is the perfect machine for this kind of venture- it handled deep, dry sand and slickrock trails with ease. Did not see a lot of other riders- the virus has kept most people away. We had the trails to ourselves in the morning, with most coming out to ride in the afternoons. Saw two Can Ams, every other side by side was a Polaris, mostly RZRs. Weather was fine except for wind. Scenery is nothing short of spectacular!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

ahhh Utah.........

Sounds like you had a nice trip......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's a lot of room between Honda and POS. I'd put Polaris well above POS but a little below Honda. There are a lot of them out there that have been highly reliable.

What are those Trackers like that Cabelas is selling now? Modified golf carts? Service? Parts? I'm highly suspicious that they're junk.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
my 2001 polaris 500 has 4100 hours on it. I did redo the suspension recently. and I use it on our property 5-6 times a week.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just got through hunting Axis with WTO in W TX. He has an '01 500 model as well with a few less hours on it and it just won't quit. He hunts in some very, very tough country, for sheep especially.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

recently talked to a guy here in Podunk

'11 Ranger....claims 25K miles on the farm

That's a lot of fuggin miles/hrs

does his own repairs...nuthin major....

All these machines are good to a sense......

Features....warranty....pricing...

I just spent 75 miles on my '18 Teryx today..

More 4x4 low range....than Hi 2.......rocks....more fuggin rocks

Trail was up hill both ways.......go figure.......

actually down hill can be worse......Kawi has engine brake that really helps

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bring your Polaris to Utah

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We enjoy ATV rides, but there are not any groomed trails here in Alaska I am aware of. Our machines are mostly used for hunting and berry picking and rarely go over 15 mph. Most of the time the trails are so bad we can't do 10 mph with out jarring our teeth loose. I a run the Polaris Big Boss 6x6, a 2011 model and ran a 1996 for 13 years with little problems. I prefer it as it will haul moose and pull trailers and buck brush better then any 4 wheeler I have seen. For many years we would hunt out of a wall tent for about 3 weeks in the fall at a camp about 15 tough trail miles from the highway.

We sold the wife's 2001 Sportsman 500 a few years ago and only replaced a stater in it. In 2014 bought a Polaris Razor LE 570 for her and i think I had to replace a starter solenoid. I also think it is safer for her. Now that we have reached the age of 70 we don't venture out for as long or far as we used to with out a younger guy along, if something happened to me way back on a trail it would put my wife in a tough spot. That is why we use machines that are easily capable of carrying two riders and some gear and Otto the Mini Schnauzer.

As far as the best machine, ya got me and I personally believe none of them are as reliable as a car. The short limited warranties speaks volumes. I am surprised at how long they run considering what they are used for. I think one of the reasons we have had good luck with our machines is we take care of them and ride slow, change engine fluids regularly and grease them.

The old Honda 300 4-wheeler and the 3 wheeler's they made are the most bullet prof models I am aware of. If you go to any remote Alaskan village there will be several old Honda's zipping along with riders barely out of their diapers. They don't baby those old Honda's and many of them have been exposed to sandy ocean beaches for mos of their life.. LOL

I doubt I will ever get another ATV and my old Big Boss is handy on my property. If I was richer, I would look at one of those fancy Can Am side by sides like my buddy spent about 25 grand on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We enjoy ATV rides, but there are not any groomed trails here in Alaska I am aware of. Our machines are mostly used for hunting and berry picking and rarely go over 15 mph. Most of the time the trails are so bad we can't do 10 mph with out jarring our teeth loose.
That describes many of the 'groomed' trails here in so. Idaho. They remove the rocks and logs that nothing can get over and call it a trail. Some get pretty hairy.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Had to repair a lot of stuff on the Polaris ATV I had, but it never stranded me. Brand spanking new Kawasaki’s have stranded me twice. Won’t happen again. I love Honda’s, but Yamahas have been even better....I’ve brutalized two Big Bears, and couldn’t kill them. Suzuki’s have intrigued me, but never owned one. All my experience is 10yrs old or so, and ATVs only....so not trying to tell anyone what’s what these days. Just enjoying the conversation and pics. I’ll have to have one again before too long. I’ve ridden in and driven most of the new UTV stuff these days, not owned. but I’d always buy another Honda or Yamaha. The Kubota I was in TOD had cool features and a nice ride, but was more a tractor than a sport vehicle, and was loud AF.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 07/17/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an interesting article about the RZR/Ranger front differential, comparing it to Can-Am's Visco-lok. I don't know what models of Polaris this refers to or if's in any of the ATVs. I do know that when my RZR's in nasty stuff, it just keep pulling. If it has 1 wheel on the ground, it's moving. I can't feel any slipping or shifting in or out. It just keeps going.

POLARIS DIFFERENTIAL

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had three Polaris ATV's. I now have a Yamaha Kodiak. The Polaris models have a lot of mechanical issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Now I have a Yamaha Kodiak" speaks volumes. Our Polaris Sportsman 400 gets minimal usage, but just getting to that battery to change it out every couple of years sure gives me pause about how the rest of it was engineered.

My other auto is a .45

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's a lot of room between Honda and POS. I'd put Polaris well above POS but a little below Honda. There are a lot of them out there that have been highly reliable.

What are those Trackers like that Cabelas is selling now? Modified golf carts? Service? Parts? I'm highly suspicious that they're junk.

The Trackers are made by Textron the company that Now owns Artic Cat ....They also make Beechcraft and Cessna air craft and Bell Helicopters.....I have a 2017 Textron Stampede 900..... That has been flawless at 150 hrs and 400 miles of rough terrain.....Smooth and quiet rattle free The suspension and components are very well built.... it will run in the 60s ....It is the basically the same machine as the Tracker 1000 SXS......Mine was built in GA...I thank the current Trackers are made in Minnesota....

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 07/26/20.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Can't help myself. I have to say dandy buck.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

LC.

Sometimes when I go alone......I think exactly about that....

Even traveling fully equipped with extra gear...spare...patch kit...winch...Viair DC pump.....etc

These modern machines are quite reliable...but one silly computer glitch & you may be screwed

I may end up 40+ miles from the truck...with no hiking short cuts if you had to walk out......

Seeing other persons....especially weekdays may be of no chance...

Most recently I've been riding with a buddy & his '14 800 Razr....good to have company along the way......

two words: satellite phone

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happy Polaris owner...Just lucky I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last year I had an oil pressure relief valve freeze up on my '12 Razor. It let the pressure build up to several times normal and the engine wouldn't even turn over. It was just a $10 part...that required dismantling the entire engine to put it in.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It went to our local shop to buy a polaris sxs, the 570, ended up with the honda 700. They sale way more polaris but like they told me, if you trade in every few years, get a polaris, if you dont, get a honda. My 03 honda rancher, can't kill the thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Between my father an I, all our ATVs are Honda and the newest is a dozen years old. They are indeed hard to kill. Not perfect, but tough. As I have said before, most of the oil-field guys here run the Honda 500 and 700 SxS rigs these days, and they seem happy with the reliability and longevity. Many were less than happy with Polaris for that role.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll add another thing, when folks start modified them for bigger tires than they can handle, portals, etc....and then install homemade snorkel systems and treat them like submarines, no wonder any have issues. The biggest complain I've heard about the polaris sxs is they are belt driven and have had issues with catching on fire more easily than others.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JPro
Between my father an I, all our ATVs are Honda and the newest is a dozen years old. They are indeed hard to kill. Not perfect, but tough. As I have said before, most of the oil-field guys here run the Honda 500 and 700 SxS rigs these days, and they seem happy with the reliability and longevity. Many were less than happy with Polaris for that role.

That's interesting. Dawson Geophysical has probably 100 Rangers in their yard right now, and have been using them for years. I will admit it's hard to go wrong with Honda though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Polaris ATV's and UTV's are pure junk for any sort of hard use. They do ride nice. Any of the Japanese brands are better by a significant margin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's probably safe to say that Polaris has turned out some "winner" model and some "losers", like many other manufacturers. Some that are great designs and some that have chronic problems.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pro, the twin cylinder 700 and 600 models where the absolute worst. Electrical problems galore with both. In addition they blew head gaskets like crazy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have not been happy with repairs on either of the two Polaris models we have had. Starters, belts, pulleys, fuel pumps, and regulators have failed, sometimes more than once.

I got a 2013 Yamaha Kodiak 450, and so far so good. I live on a farm and use them for weed spraying, hauling irrigation fittings and pipe, herding a few cows, and that sort of stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d have to say around here, more Polaris are sold than anything else. I have two Polaris myself and no issues other than a belt on the Ranger. I stuck on some muskeg in 2016 and burnt up the belt. I do know quite a few people have blown their rear diffs out while in turf mode on their Rangers. I honestly think it’s misuse though. With that being said, I knn n is more wiped that have had issues with Can-Ams than any other ATV/UTV manufacturer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Polaris General 1000, and yellow Lab, at 12,000'+ elevation near Silverton, CO this past week. 125 miles of trails, including some very steep climbs in the Kendall mountain area. Awesome machine, no problems whatsoever, power to spare for the hilly stuff. Monday's ride was 80 miles, and at the end of the day it took less than 3 gallons to fill the tank back up!
Lots of UTV's on the trail, I would guess at least 80% of them were made by Polaris.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never been a UTV person...always done everything I needed on foot or horseback, though I have hunted off 4 wheelers a bit with friends.

I just pulled the trigger on a Polaris Ranger 570, full cab enclosure. The only reason why I went with that was because it fits the legal width and weight parameters for some of the trails around here, and I got a 10% veteran discount. Everything I have read and people I have talked to indicate that no more a percentage of Polaris are in the shop for repairs or warranty work than the other brands. It just seems so because so many more Polaris are sold.

I got this for grouse hunting and trapping. Maybe for getting further from a main road down a 2 track, then hiking in from there---for big game. I have no desire to hunt from it like most every antelope hunter in Wyoming and moose hunter in Alaska seems to do. I have a bad taste in my mouth for the vast majority of UTV users that I have crossed paths with, so I feel a bit awkward getting this thing.

We'll see how well it holds up.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My cabin neighbors run Artic Cats and Polarises? Polari?

Anyway, they travel in packs of 3, so there is generally one running machine to fetch parts for the other 2.

I say that... like 30% tongue in cheek. There are always going to be breakdowns. Everything breaks, and it is partly a function of how its treated. But those two brands break way more than the comparable Japanese machines IME. Not saying they deserve the POS moniker.

Interesting to hear the dislike of the Can-Am machines, as they have a 6X6 out that every owner that I know of loves. I'd be interested in a 6X6, just not a Polaris.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have had Polaris ATV and several Rangers. Used on the farm/ranch but not abused and we have had good luck with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just pulled the trigger on a Polaris Ranger 570, full cab enclosure. The only reason why I went with that was because it fits the legal width and weight parameters for some of the trails around here
Mine is an RZR 800, they've since replaced it with the 900. I like it for the atv trails but also because I can haul it in the back of my pickup and still pull our camp trailer.
We have hundreds of miles of 50" trails around here (at least 100 of which are on fire right now). We seldom see any other UTV's when out riding.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.