24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although a fan of Barnes TTSX and LRX, I do plan to try Federals new Terminal Ascent bullets.

The question for me is which caliber to try them in first. Don't need them in my 6,5s because both are heavy barrels that won't be going anywhere except maybe antelope hunting. Don't need a Terminal Ascent for that when I have other loads that shoot very well out to 600. I do have a couple .284" and six .308" bores where the Terminal Ascent would be a good choice.

When using the North Fork bullets (which I still do), I always thought the design would be improved with the addition of a polymer tip. The Terminal Ascent is essentially that design but with additional improvements - mono rear, bonded front, tipped and with different groove and shape geometry for higher B.C..

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From 1978 through 2003 my .30 Gibbs shooting 180 grain Nosler Partitions at 2920 fps put a Mountain goat, 2 Shiras bull moose and 20 bulls and 3 cow elk into my freezer. Most were one shot kills with the mushroomed back half of the bullet stopping just under the skin on the off side of the animal.

My last 2 bull elk were killed with my .300 Weatherby, one with a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet 3298 fps and the other with a 168 grain TTSX bullet at 3300 fps. The TSX bullet completely penetrated the bull from a broadside behind-the-shoulder shot. The TTSX bullet entered the bull's front shoulder and stopped in his opposite ham. I also used this rifle with the 168 grain TSX bullets on one African hunt and with the 168 grain TTSX bullets on two other African hunts and a New Zealand hunt.

A couple of years ago I put a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 scope on my .300 Wby. I had the CDS turret for that scope made for my 180 grain TTSX handloads at 3250 fps. So far I've only used that bullet for a one shot kill with complete broadside penetration on a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan with a 327 yard shot. I plan on shooting this bullet for all of my foreseeable future hunting with this rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can testify about the 180 NPT.

Kills'em.

DF

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
20 yrs ago I used 76gr R22 with the Barnes 180 XBT, right at 3100! I'm sure I had the pressure "up a bit" on that one, ha.

I’d tend to agree... Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sample of one cow with the 300 fell to a 180 grain partition.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
200gr Partitions all the way, only a sample of one with me, but started loading it for 5 or 6 buds back in the early 90's, they elk hunt out West every year, may be two or three dozen elk so far that I know of with that bullet in the 300 Win and WBY mags, it works EVERYTIME, and have heard of none changing bullets or loads, iirc, H-1000 and H-4831 loaded in all their rifles.

Also in the early 90's I came upon a beautiful FN Mauser in 300 Win, it had a beautiful carved walnut stock and a 26 inch barrel, I mounted a new gloss 3.5-10 Leupold, with it on 10X, and holding the fat portion of the bottom vertical post, I found that 200gr Partition would explode gallon milk jugs full of water a 500 yards, it was/is a hell of a good flying hunting bullet, I don't know how any of the Barnes' act at longer ranges.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great suggestion Gunner. Back when I only used a 300wm for hunting, I decided I'd make it simple and just run the 200gr Nosler partition for deer and elk. I ran them right around 2,900 fps, or a hair over. I generally found most of my 300's liked that speed with the 200gr bullet. They sure are accurate and hit hard too. I'm actually wondering why some guys made a switch to a mono barnes bullet, saying they worked better than the good ol 200gr Nosler. I've never seen an issue with the 200gr partition, as they have always gotten full penetration (something I can't say about the 180 in the 300 mags). They also work great in my 30-06 rifles too. One of the reason I always have 200gr partitions in the loading room.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
180g North Fork SS (no longer available but I have a good stash)
180g Barnes MRX, TTSX

Have only taken mulies with it but have used Barnes 175g LRX on elk hunts as well. .

CH, have you killed elk with the 175 LRX? I bought 3 boxes of the damn things and am hoping to get them to shoot in some of my 300's. They seem to be about the best option for the 300 magnums IMHO...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My brother and I killed two elk using the 175Lrx out of a 300wsm at a velocity of 3000fps. Both worked very well.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/28/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great suggestion Gunner. Back when I only used a 300wm for hunting, I decided I'd make it simple and just run the 200gr Nosler partition for deer and elk. I ran them right around 2,900 fps, or a hair over. I generally found most of my 300's liked that speed with the 200gr bullet. They sure are accurate and hit hard too. I'm actually wondering why some guys made a switch to a mono barnes bullet, saying they worked better than the good ol 200gr Nosler. I've never seen an issue with the 200gr partition, as they have always gotten full penetration (something I can't say about the 180 in the 300 mags). They also work great in my 30-06 rifles too. One of the reason I always have 200gr partitions in the loading room.

Damn right Buddy, that bullet works at 3K or 2700 in an '06, turns it into the hammer that CAN ; ] the 220gr Partition at a lowly 2750 is a hell of a bull banger too, loaded some of those for one of the same set of Buds that has an old Remington 300 H&H, he kills right along with the rest of them, all the while sporting a 80's vintage gloss Burris scope. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

Damn right Buddy, that bullet works at 3K or 2700 in an '06, turns it into the hammer that CAN ; ] the 220gr Partition at a lowly 2750 is a hell of a bull banger too, loaded some of those for one of the same set of Buds that has an old Remington 300 H&H, he kills right along with the rest of them, all the while sporting a 80's vintage gloss Burris scope. smile

I love the 200gr Nosler partition and I have bought them dirt cheap. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why they made the switch to the mono metal because that bullet did a better job. Or, so they say it did. I'm not against the Barnes by any means either, as I've shown I load them. I'll end up using them, eventually, but highly doubt I'll see a meaningful difference as far as putting animals down. The partitions have always worked extremely well for me and friends, as have the Hornady interlocks and many other bullets we've tried.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Have used the 200 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for elk and many elk sized animals in Africa with excellent results. All shots were under 250 yards, think if I was shooting over that I would use Nosler Trophy Bonded which has worked for me in 300 mag as well as 270 and 6.5X284 on deer sized game.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use 200 gr Accubonds in the load I mentioned above because in that rifle, a custom pre-war Model 70, they shooter significantly better than Partitions. I have had great success with both bullets and have yet to have an animal stop either one.

My favorite 30-06, an FN Mauser barreled action with custom stock, gets the 200 gr Partitions for the same reason.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have taken elk over the years with every cal from 338 down to my now used 6.5. They all work with tough deep penetrating bullets properly placed... All my elk taken since 1994 has been with a 6.5 & a Barnes 120gr mono. This past season I took a very mature elk using a 6.5 with a Hammer 121 gr. Complete pass thru of both front shoulders. & a DRT. A good friend uses his 308 & the Barnes 130gr mono every season with no problem. Another hunting buddy & his son use a 270 & the Barnes 130gr mono. We take our elk every season wit these combo's & have never had a problem. Pick whatever cal you like & properly place the mono of your choice & you will have success. A 7mm with the 140gr & the 30 cal at most with the 150gr. & you will be amazed at the penetration . Another added benefit of the mono is the almost zero blood shot meat . This is very important to me as the meat is the main reason I hunt. Good day Rev.

Last edited by Hesp; 03/29/20.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I believe the consensus here is that heavy for caliber Nosler Partitions and light to medium weight for caliber monos get the job done well. I am in the mono camp personally. I prefer the improved trajectory, higher velocity, and no lead in my meat. Go forth and hunt! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve used mostly 180 Partitions in my 300WM and 300WSM. No complaints, though I do plan to try the 200 Partitions at some point in the Win Mag. My brother has actually used the 150 GMX out of his 300 WM with excellent results. He went with that as it shot so well in his rifle, but to my knowledge he’s yet to catch one in anything he’s shot. Can’t argue with the results.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

I love the 200gr Nosler partition and I have bought them dirt cheap. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why they made the switch to the mono metal because that bullet did a better job. Or, so they say it did. I'm not against the Barnes by any means either, as I've shown I load them. I'll end up using them, eventually, but highly doubt I'll see a meaningful difference as far as putting animals down. The partitions have always worked extremely well for me and friends, as have the Hornady interlocks and many other bullets we've tried.

Yessir, being a flatlander and traveling a minimum of 1200 miles just to get to see and elk, and may have to shoot 5-600 yards, I never worried about a partition opening, I got to have that peace Buddy! cool

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The over whelming number of elk I have taken over the years has been under 200yds. Many under 100yds. This is where the mono's shine. They don't blow apart. They open & maintain a large frontal section all the way thru. Like the elk I took this last season, range about 80 yds. In order to get a shot thru an opening in the brush I had to take a shoulder shot or loose the elk. No soft sided rib cage shot provided here. . Just tough bone & muscle. Have had numerous shots on elk over the years where shots were extreme acute angles from from or back. These types of shots require the toughest deepest penetrating bullets you can get. Again the mono's shine here with out destroying large amounts of meat, my main reason for hunting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I made the switch from 200gn NP to 200gn TSX because the TSX is more accurate in my rifle.

As it applies to on-game performance IMO I could easily use either interchangeably and likely be none-the-wiser. You can throw the 200gn A-Frame onto that pile as well. I've never loaded or shot any A-Frame, but, that wouldn't stop me from using one and being fairly certain that it's performance would be indistinguishable from the other 2.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
:Hey Horse"...(said in a whisper, get it? ha) what rifle/barrel twist are you shooting that long 200 TSX in? I always figured the they were a bit long for a 10" twist. Of course, in "any" slower twist, "speed is your friend". I've had 7mm Rem Mags that would not shoot the 175 Barnes way back then. I never had trouble getting 200 Nosler to shoot in any 30 cal from 308 up.

I had a Hornady 180sp fragment toward the end of its travel ( against the far ribs) on a cow elk. It was started at 2910 (clocked) from a Hornady 180 Light Magnum 30-06 load at 135 steps. I would say that was older 300 H&H speed or close, A 150 Hornady was one of the best in 30-06 in East Tx, acted like a Partition! I never got them faster than about 2950 in 22 inch barrels. I figured that 180 sp would blow right on through. So, up to deer I'm fine with Hornadys, but on elk, I'm spooked now, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/31/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a 200 NP shooter. And they are very capable on elk at ranges a lot shorter than 100 yards.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.