Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys,
I have a Gerber Paraframe which I have noticed has failed to fully engage the liner lock and it has partially folded a couple of times. The blade is still good, so I would hate to dump it, but I don't want to lose a finger either. I guess I could make sure it enages fully everytime I open it, like I've been doing but it is getting bothersome.

I'm fairly new to knives mechanisms, besides sharpening them, and my research reveals that polishing the liner lock may allow it to fully seat under the blade.
Any other suggestions?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
post a pic of the lock up. It should be about 30% on the face. If it isn't you can take it apart and push the lock bar in a few times. This will bend id slightly and make better contact

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not trying to be an ass, but spend a little more on a new knife. Gerbers aren't what they once were.

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dan308
post a pic of the lock up. It should be about 30% on the face. If it isn't you can take it apart and push the lock bar in a few times. This will bend id slightly and make better contact

Can't upload for some reason. There is less than 30% contact, seems it doesn't move enough, though when disassembled, there seems to be quite enough spring to it. I can also make the opening action quite hard depending on how tight I adjust the screw, though it doesn't help with the lock.
Blade is centered when closed. Seems a few passess with some emory cloth may do the trick.

Originally Posted by UPhiker
Not trying to be an ass, but spend a little more on a new knife. Gerbers aren't what they once were.

No offense take. I actually didn't spend any on it, my wife found it while we were hiking, and I picked it up from the trail, probably 12 years ago. Cleaned it and it has worked up until now.
It must be one of the "old ones" as it holds edge very well asnd has been easy to sharpen.
I have been ogling an Ontario RAT1, seems nice for 25$ and my needs for an EDC.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Sponxx

Much better knife. Pay a little extra for the D2 steel.

IC B2

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Fixed the issue. Took apart, used some emory cloth on top of liner and it allows it to move more freely under blade. I did tighten the blade screw more and it makes opening a little harder, but it locks up now.

Thanks for the recommendation

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fixed the issue. Took apart, used some emory cloth on top of liner and it allows it to move more freely under blade. I did tighten the blade screw more and it makes opening a little harder, but it locks up now.

Thanks for the recommendation
I've got a Rat1 with D2 in my pocket right now. Excellent knife for the money.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not directed at the OP, but just an observation---I don't know how many times I've heard a person who only owns a "budget" knife say "it stays sharp and is easy to sharpen". That's like a person driving a Yugo, who has only driven a Yugo say "it's a fine car, I don't need anything else". If you don't have anything quality to compare it to, you'll never know what you're missing. The other remark that I hear all the time is "I won't buy a good knife because I always lose them". I've found out that if you pay good money for something, you pay more attention to where it is. Besides, if you lose it, you just go buy another. It's not the end of the world.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not directed at the OP, but just an observation---I don't know how many times I've heard a person who only owns a "budget" knife say "it stays sharp and is easy to sharpen". That's like a person driving a Yugo, who has only driven a Yugo say "it's a fine car, I don't need anything else". If you don't have anything quality to compare it to, you'll never know what you're missing. The other remark that I hear all the time is "I won't buy a good knife because I always lose them". I've found out that if you pay good money for something, you pay more attention to where it is. Besides, if you lose it, you just go buy another. It's not the end of the world.

Blasphemy!

Don't go getting their soft feelings hurt now. They rather be lied to then know the truth.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 18 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.