Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
m243, no a 7mm mag.. Thanks just the same a.h,!.

Thank you, I resemble that remark.

Slam a 243, extoll the virtues of 44 mag on deer. Very rich.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wyoming coyotehunter, I won't argue with your results, but here are some of mine culling whitetails this is 2 days work with a .243 from close to far, not a gong in sight. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIO What bullet? thanks

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

southtexas, mostly 100 gr. SGK 41.5 gr. H-4350 CCI-200. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

We have had excellent luck with the Sierra in 243.

The 85 grain Sierra SP is another good one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All these guys saying they've killed deer with the .243 must be all liars. I've heard on several sites, including this one from time to time, that deer just smile and walk away when shot with anything less than a 300 Remington Magnum. The .243 just tickles their ribs and they run away happy.....

Last edited by reivertom; 03/27/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I've had what I consider good performance with quick kills out of a bunch of different .243 bullets. All except for that one core- lokt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I've had what I consider good performance with quick kills out of a bunch of different .243 bullets. All except for that one core- lokt.

Must mean they all work pretty well when placed where they should be.

We just use a lot of Sierra because they are about an hour down the road. Go buy a few pounds of seconds every few years.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Couldn't stand it anymore, partly because somebody had to include the .250 Savage and .257 Roberts in the discussion. Went through my hunting notes and found that between me and my wife Eileen, and a couple other companions, we've taken 67 big game animals with those cartridges. Eileen took the majority, beating me out by a little.

The animals have included antelope, whitetails, mule deer, fallow deer, feral pigs and goats, one cow elk and one huge red stag, while hunting in several United States, Ireland and New Zealand. One was my first mule deer buck, taken long ago with a .243 and a 100-grain Winchester Power Point factory load. The 3x3 buck stood quartering away at about 50 yards, and at the shot dropped right there. Eileen also took her biggest-bodied whitetail buck (out of quite a few) with her .243 and a 100-grain Nosler Partition. It was late in the day on a Montana riverbottom, so she decided to use the shoulder/spine shot--and that buck dropped right there, the bullet exiting.

Aside from Power Points, the bullets used were one Barnes Original, plus a number of Barnes TSXs and TTSXs; Berger Hunting VLDs; Federal Blue Box; Nosler AccuBonds (110 .25), Ballistic Tips, Partitions and Solid Bases; Remington Core-Lokts, and Speer Hot-Cors.

Had a little trouble with two animals, both because the bullet didn't open much, if at all, both mule deer bucks shot with the .257 Roberts. One bullet was an early 100-grain TSX from a batch that was apparently too hard, because I also had one fail to open on a pronghorn buck shot at around 250 yards with a .257 Weatherby. Eileen shot an eating-size mule deer buck at about 50 yards in tall sagebrush, through both lungs right under the shoulder-blades. It staggered a little ways and fell--then got up and staggered away again. Eventually we found it dead around 75 yards away. (The next year the Tipped TSX appeared. We switched to it, and have never had one fail to open.)

The other was a big buck I shot broadside, right behind the shoulders with a .257 Roberts and a 120-grain Nosler Solid Base. He turned and disappeared down a steep but not very high rimrock right behind him. Found one match-head size drop of bright blood where he'd stood, but none in the tall grass below the rimrock. Eventually found him dead in the grass, 200 yards from the rim--with a tiny hole through both lungs.

Other than that, all the other animals acted about like similar big game shot with various other rounds. Sometimes they dropped right there even if just lung-shot, and sometimes because the bullet hit bone of some sort. Eileen killed the cow elk at 123 yards as it quartered away, using the .257 and 100 TTSX. I expected it to go 30-50 yards before falling, but instead it dropped right there, flopped its head a couple times and lay still. The bullet had quartered through both lungs, ending up in the far shoulder--but along the way ticked the bottom of the spine.

The big red stag was killed by one 115-grain Berger Hunting VLD in the chest, going down within 15 yards.

One thing Eileen and I both learned long ago was not to blame cartridges for bullet failures, but many hunters do--and apparently repeat the same mistake, both in bullet selection and blaming the round.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One thing Eileen and I both learned long ago was not to blame cartridges for bullet failures, but many hunters do--and apparently repeat the same mistake, both in bullet selection and blaming the round.

Worth repeating.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Worth repeating.

And worth repeating again and again.

Years ago I had a sickening rodeo with a 270 and the old ballistic tips, ergo the .270 sucks for deer. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Deer certainly have variable reactions to being shot. My father put an early 130 gr Bal Tip through the chest of one. It was relatively close, about 125 yards if memory serves, and the launcher was a 26" barreled 270 with a case full of H4831. If you saw the carcass before the blood trail you probably would have bet $10000 that it dropped at the shot. You would have lost, it traveled a fair distance.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

Worth repeating.

Years ago I had a sickening rodeo with a 270 and the old ballistic tips, ergo the .270 sucks for deer. whistle

I thought everybody knew that.

So bad I just swapped for another BDL 270, I am double phuqcked, a Remington and a gay cartridge.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/28/20.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Worth repeating.

One again the word of a man with common sense.

Last edited by Switch; 03/28/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once upon a time, in a far away place, I used a 243 on Midwest whitetails.
Never lost one but when I killed the largest bodied buck I had ever seen with a neck shot, using old round nose Texan 100 gr bullets, and discovered the old cup and core, non-bonded bullet had been stopped and destroyed by the neck bones, I deduced that the 243 was maybe marginal for large deer and moved up to the 270.
Now, half a century later and having killed a lot more deer ( and a few other larger animals) with numerous other bullets and calibers I have concluded the 243, with today's excellent Bullets, makes a dandy caliber for whitetail, Blacktail and any other deer.
In fact I have a new, old Husqvarna .243 I plan on keeping in hunting camp for use on our subsistence deer and caribou hunts. With Partitions and TSX bullets.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Worth repeating.

So did we. Should've been the perfect cartridge and bullet for the scenario but it just didnt get the job done that time.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

I have a .270 story also but won't tell it on this thread. Rio7

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by North61
There is one answer to killing problems with a 243 and that answer is the Nosler Partition. I have seen that many 243 bullets are made a bit too stout to avoid blow up problems at close range. This can lead to inconsistent expansion at medium to long ranges. I have seen this with many bullets including factory bullets.

95 grain Nosler Partitions will solve all of these problems. The copper at the nose is thin and the lead soft. It will expand reliably as they can make the front very soft and rely on the inner belt to control expansion and penetration. We also like the SST but sometimes expansion can be too much at close range. 85-100 grain Nosler Partitions depending on case capacity and don't look back. When the caliber is this small you need excellent bullet action and the Partition will give you that 99% of the time. There is still a problem with the 243 and that is that the flat trajectory can tempt you to make shots after the energy has dipped too low. You can hit them but past 300 yards or a bit more killing power is not that impressive.

This is a great post. Years ago I loaded nosler partitions in for my .243 and they were awesome. Now you can buy them.

https://choiceammunition.com/product/243-winchester-100-grain-nosler-partition/

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/federal-premium-vital-shok-243-win-100-gr-nosler-partition.html

Last edited by warbirdlover; 03/29/20.

WBL
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Blackheart

We have had excellent luck with the Sierra in 243. b

Must mean they all work pretty well when placed where they should be.

We just use a lot of Sierra because they are about an hour down the road. Go buy a few pounds of seconds every few years.

Sierra's are my go to bullet for deer. I also like Nosler and Combined Technologies Ballistic Tips. They all work good but the Sierra Game Kings are every bit as good but cheaper.

I had someone tell me that SGKs were ok and shorter ranges inside 100 yards but out past that they didn't perform consistent. I think that's BULL CACA. I killed two White Tail Does at damn near 400 yards with them and one hog at 320. All three were or damn near were DRT. They hog ran about 15 yards on adrenaline. before crashing and burning. Maybe they were talking about really long range like out past 400. But I consider shots like that as folly.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/29/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It could happen at any time. Buddy built a 6.5-06 years ago and proceeded to put the smack down on a good size doe about 50 yards away with a SGK, believe it was a 140 grains. Doe ran off and we found her piled up about 50 yards away, when we skinned her, there was a hole in her ribs about 4" in diameter. If I didn't look for that deer with him, I would have said that died on the spot...it just sometimes happens

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.