Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Florida Governor wants no more New Yorkers.

NEWS
HEALTH
Florida will check NY motorists at state line on I-95, DeSantis says
The governor also announces that an anti-malaria drug promoted by President Trump will be made available to hospitals in large counties, including Hillsborough.

By News Service of Florida
Published Yesterday

• • •

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Ron DeSantis on Saturday announced the creation of an Interstate 95 checkpoint on Florida’s northern border to screen motorists traveling from the New York City area, in an effort to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Saturday’s announcement came a day after DeSantis said he was setting up a similar checkpoint in Northwest Florida, targeting travelers from Louisiana.

The I-95 checkpoint is an expansion of screenings already underway at certain Florida airports aimed at people coming from the tri-state area around New York City, one of the nation’s “hot spots” for COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the viru

DeSantis also used Saturday’s news conference at the Capitol to announce that Florida is working to make a hydroxychloroquine, a low-cost generic malaria drug, available to hospital systems in Miami-Dade, Broward, Orange and Hillsborough counties.

“I’m not a doctor. I’m not telling anyone to take it or not take it,” DeSantis said. “But I do believe in the idea of a right to try. If somebody is really in bad shape and there is no other treatment available and the doctor believes this is something that could be helpful, then we want that patient to have access to that.”

The governor’s staff said the hospital systems have requested the drug, which President Donald Trump recently touted as a possible COVID-19 cure. Federal health officials have said more study is needed on the efficacy of the drug as a treatment for COVID-19.

DeSantis’ call to make the drug available to highly populated counties in the state comes as the Florida Department of Health reported Saturday there are 4,038 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state. More than a quarter of the cases are in Miami-Dade County.

As of Saturday evening, 56 people in Florida have died from COVID-19, according to health officials.

The checkpoint announcement came a day after DeSantis expanded a 14-day self-isolation order for people arriving from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to include travelers from Louisiana.

Florida officials on Saturday were operating a checkpoint on Interstate 10 west of Pensacola, with all non-commercial motorists detoured to a vehicle weigh station where license plates and driver’s licenses were checked and motorists were asked about their travels.

“Initially I was concerned about doing this because I don’t want there to be a backup,” DeSantis told reporters at Saturday’s press conference. “But they’re doing it in a great way where the trucks are going through. We’re not worried about that. We’re just worried about the people fleeing some of those areas.”

DeSantis said he spoke with Trump, who on Saturday said he is considering imposing a quarantine on New York, New Jersey and parts of Connecticut to prevent the spread of the virus.

“Whatever works, I think we need to do,” the governor said. “There is a lot of logistics involved and I think the president can figure that out.”

Trump, a close ally of DeSantis, told reporters Saturday that he is considering a two-week quarantine for the northern states.

"We'd like to see New York quarantined because it's a hotspot. New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut, quarantined," Trump told reporters, adding “we might not have to do it, but there's a possibility that sometime today we'll do a quarantine.”

As of Saturday, there were 119,748 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., with nearly half of the cases — 52,318 — in New York state, according to the Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center. New York City had 29,766 cases, according to the New York State Department of Health.

In an effort to deter travel from New York City, the Florida National Guard and public health officials have been screening travelers on flights from the metropolitan area coming into airports in Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Palm Beach, as well as Southwest Florida.

Saying the screening is working, DeSantis told reporters that a person whose symptoms of COVID-19 had abated was showing signs of the respiratory disease again, following a flight Friday from New York to Jacksonville.

“He was intercepted when he came to the checkpoint and he was diverted to go a hospital,” DeSantis said. “That’s something I think helps protect Floridians.”

The individual and people that were seated near him on the plane are now being treated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, DeSantis’ aides said.

The name of the airline and the hospital where the individual was taken were not released.

DeSantis, who has faced criticism from Democrats and local officials for not issuing a statewide stay-in-place order, said his goal in targeting certain travelers is to reduce the spread of the coronavirus, an effort health officials call “flattening the curve” of the disease.

“I think it’s in everybody’s interest that we deal with the spread that we have here now, try to blunt it, flatten the curve, but we don’t allow importing new infections,” the governor said.

Asked about other access points for motorists — such as U.S. 1 and the Amtrak Auto Train, which stops in Sanford — DeSantis said I-95 is the “natural one” for motorists from the Northeast.

“I think having the (Interstate) 10 and (Interstate) 95 is good, that provides the protection,” DeSantis said.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Talked with a friend this afternoon who lives way up in NW Montana, not far from Bonners Ferry, ID, who said that a bunch of folks from California, NY and other places have rented and moved into the avilable summer vacation cabins & houses for the next 6 months. The locals are not happy.Not happy at all.Tar & feathers & a rail?

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Elkhunter3006
Talked with a friend this afternoon who lives way up in NW Montana, not far from Bonners Ferry, ID, who said that a bunch of folks from California, NY and other places have rented and moved into the avilable summer vacation cabins & houses for the next 6 months. The locals are not happy.Not happy at all.Tar & feathers & a rail?

Its a free country.

Tarquin
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It appears the veneer of civilization and brotherly love is very thin indeed. Katrina demonstrated this for anyone who cared to think about it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Many native Floridians think this should have been 50+ years ago! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Northern Michigan town leaders have asked their summer residents not to come. Not so much for the spread of the contagion (I'm sure that's part of it), but also that it would overwhelm the small hospitals in the area.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I completely agree with De Santis and Florida, they are treading awfully close to a violation of Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of The Constitution.

With The Constitution being trashed in general right now, that'll probably go unchallenged.

https://constitution.laws.com/american-history/constitution/interstate-commerce-clause

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Amounts to closing the barn door after the horse is out at this point. Those people have been streaming out for 2 weeks now.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Total deaths in Florida yesterday?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm from NewYorkistan and I don't blame him.
There was a talk of isolating people from the Northeast because it's a hot bed,and our govenor had a hissy-fit.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Daughter and family recently moved to Florida from NC. I'd just as soon the New Yorkers stayed away. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
141,000 cases in the US, 60,000 in NY. Stay home Yankee...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sign at the border:

GFY---dflave

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Americans go to Florida to die.

This is not news.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
141,000 cases in the US, 60,000 in NY. Stay home Yankee...

Yep

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oh snap!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
In 1865 we called 'em "Carpetbaggers"! They weren't particularly welcome then, and some things never change!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What were those old kirk Russell shows? Escape from LA and Escape from New York?

Bb

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
after being unable to stop kids from holding Spring break parties now he wants people to stay out of the state. He can keep Flo Rida.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Checkpoints allowing "commercial" traffic to breeze right through, as though a CDL driver can't be carrying the virus, but stopping cars and running plates and DLs?

What next? 'Old man, sign zee papers"?

Not only the commerce clause, but what about equal treatment under the law?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.