Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is my submission for "Everybody Start a New Thread." Years ago I was trying to find the perfect compact/sub-compact carry gun. I figured it had to be smaller and lighter than my wife's 3" 1911 (shown in the pic (which is a Kimber Stainless Ultra TLE with laser grips)). I just started buying everything, knowing I could sell the losers at the gun show and not really be out anything.

Looking at the pic, I can't even remember what they all are for sure. In the top left is an old Colt Mustang. This is before Colt brought them back, so this was close to a $600 gun when I bought it. It was fine but there just wasn't a love connection and I didn't like something about it (I forgot what). In the top right is a Smith 49 my dad wanted to sell. I should have bought it, as it had less than 50 rounds through it, but I didn't. At the time, no-lock Smiths weren't that big of a deal so I figured I'd wait.

2nd row from the top on the left is a Glock 42. It was fine, but I finally decided that I didn't want a .380. The ammo was too expensive compared to a 9mm or .38 Spcl and I didn't need another cartridge to load for. 2nd row on the right is a hammerless .38 Special that I had for awhile. I liked it, but I decided to sell and try something else. In the 3rd row on the left is my wife's 1911. To the left of the 1911 is a Ruger LCR. I owned a few of those. I had them in .22lr, .22 Mag, and a couple in .38 Special. Both of the .38 Specials failed--sometimes the cylinders didn't rotate when you pulled the trigger. Since it happened in two different guns, I figured the gun had a design defect and sold all my LCR's (after I sent them back to Ruger for repair). Since then, LCR's seem to run great for everybody else!

In the lower left is a Kahr PM9 with factory night sights. I still have that pistol and carried it daily for a number of years. It runs like a top. When I got it, I believe it was the smallest production 9mm available. It has a trigger pull as long as your leg, but for whatever reason I manage to shoot it fine. Last, in the lower right is my daughter's SP 101. Great gun. Fits small hands extremely well. We still have that one too. (I'll dig up a pic of her shooting it).

In the end, the Kahr won. If I started this journey over, I think I'd look hard at a Sig P365 but for now, I make do with a Gen4 G19--I prefer to sacrifice comfort/convenience for ammo capacity.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BP-B2

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my kid--7 years ago! (Where does the time go??!!) We had recently got her the SP101 and we went to the range with my mom. (Mom has a GP100 and wanted to shoot with us).

Wade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waders,

I've recently picked up the P365 XL and like it.

Had the PM9 and should have kept it. I think it is still the smallest 9mm, the only gun that I have been real comfortable with pocket carry. Will probably get another one.

I had one of the S&W 642's (?), had the lock. I am going to pick up one of the no lock black versions (a 442). Great guns for dropping into my pocket for a short stroll.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am very partial to my CW45 and looking to acquire another CW9 to replace one I sold in a moment of sheer silliness.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the CW9 very much. Here's one I sold in a moment of silliness.

Wade

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had and used the following for carry:

AMT Backup, .380 acp - poor reliability
Colt Pony, .380 acp - DAO heavy trigger, still have it, grip is to short to shoot accurately
Kel-Tec P-11, 9mm - (the original 10 round subcompact) terrible trigger
Kahr CW9, 9mm - Really liked it, gave it to my son
S&W Shield, 9mm - I didn't like the safety, preferred the Kahr, gave it to my wife (I really purchased this one with her in mind)
SA XDs .45 acp - Nope, not in a gun that small and light
Sig P365, 9mm - Goldilocks gun, just right. Amazing accuracy for a gun this size.

Never been much into revolvers.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have had a few, settled on a Sig 238. Wife can handle it as well. Second is a J frame solid, no issues and goes bang every time.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I never regretted for a moment selling mine.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Originally Posted by NVhntr

I never regretted for a moment selling mine.

Mine was a POS. And a jamamatic.

Love my Sig P365 ! And still carry a Ruger LCP 380 as a BUG

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
First carry gun was my first handgun, acquired right after getting my concealed carry permit, i.e., a Ruger Speed Six.

Other handguns I've adopted over the years are several models of 1911, a Colt Government 380, a NAA Guardian in .32 ACP, a NAA Mini Revolver in .22 LR, a Sig P230 .380, a Sig P239 in .357 Sig, a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, various J-Frame S&Ws, a Colt Detective Special, an S&W Model 13 (FBI configuration), a Glock 17, and a Glock 26, which is what I've been carrying for a couple of years now. I really like my new Glock 19 (Gen 5), too, and would be happy to carry it. Might do so at some point.

I think I covered all the handguns that I've carried for any significant period since 1980, which is when I got my permit.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i wouldnt know where to start, because it seems like i carried everything known to man. but I know where i ended.

A smith j frame model 38 Bodyguard or 442 38 special

and a glock 42 380 auto

Last edited by rockchucker; 03/30/20.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glock 19x

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockchucker
i wouldnt know where to start, but I know where i ended.

A smith j frame model 38 Bodyguard or 442 3 special

and a glock 42 380 auto

Those will do to ride the river with.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by rockchucker
i wouldnt know where to start, but I know where i ended.

A smith j frame model 38 Bodyguard or 442 3 special

and a glock 42 380 auto

Those will do to ride the river with.

Both high quality and easy to tote, and both in the same power range, which is somewhat borderline, but generally considered the minimum adequate level for serious self-defense purposes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Presently, I'm packing a gen 4 Glock 19

With a Sig P-365 as a back up.

Have the Sig in my sweatpants pocket as I type.

Also have a Colt Detective Special that I carry as a backup at times.

And sometimes I switch it up and carry a Springfield Armory EMP 4" 9MM.

Have packed too many revolvers and autos to list, in the past 30 years.

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have 2 CW9's & 2 CW45's, love the sizes & dependability of them.

If you liked the Gl. 42 a bit & carry a 19, I suggest that you have a feel of the Gl. 43, 43x & 48 models. All single stack 9's with varying barrel lengths & capacities. I've had a 19/23 handy, vehicles, nightstand, recliner, etc. for 30 years, but with my small to medium hands & liking the size of the Khars,,,,,, I absolutely fell head over heels with a Gl. 48. I can't remember the last time I bought a pistol I liked this much.

Then on the other hand, I was outdoors for the last 3 days, & a Smith 342 rode i my pocket. crazy Just fickle I guess

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I searched for it, and finally found a Ruger 101 with 3" barrel in 357 mag. It is one of these "I wish I would have had this sooner" guns.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I searched for it, and finally found a Ruger 101 with 3" barrel in 357 mag. It is one of these "I wish I would have had this sooner" guns.

Put some Hogue grips either, rubber or Nylon and go shoot some 357 mags. Makes a huge difference and doesn't whack my knuckle. I love mine for sure. As Clint Smith would say, one is none, two is one, and three is just about right!!! I like that thinking. One of mine has been to Gemini Guns. They do a great job and do some wonderful things. Mine now wears adjustable rear sights and very hi-viz front sights, and some other features.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My two most carried pistols are a Nighthawk Custom Talon in .45, and a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact in 9mm.

The NHC 1911 is about as perfect a pistol as I could ever want short of a full house custom build which would probably perform no better but have some old school classiness if built off an old Colt.
The 2.0 M&P I bought because I don't generally like Glocks and I think Smith nailed the dimensions and features for a perfect defensive gun with this one. I got it in 9mm because it makes more sense with modern defensive ammo and I can shoot it twice as much for the same price compared to .45.
Both are carried OWB 99% of time, NH in Exodus custom horsehide; M&P in JM Custom Kydex, both with 2X spare mags

Others that I have and still do actually carry at least occasionally

Revolvers
S&W 36 no dash .38- love it, its a classic

Colt Agent .38- love it, 6 round cylinder is nice in the snub class

S&W Bodyguard .38- lives in the center console of my truck with a speedloader, perfect "in a pinch" pocket gun or back up

Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5" .44mag- woods/hunting gun and occasional winter carry

Colt Diamondback 4" .38- another classic, wonderfully accurate

Ruger LCR .22- loaded with 8 rounds of snake shot for expressly that purpose

Semiautos
S&W Shield 9mm- love it but donated to wife for ccw

Glock 36 .45- essentially same dimensions as G19 but a 6+1 .45, I carry it when fishing from a boat because I don't care if it gets accidentally submerged

Springfield Armory Champion Loaded 1911 .45- my first carry gun, replaced all MIM parts with Wilson Combat and custom trigger job, its a good one

Kimber CDP Ultra 1911 .45- classy looking 3" 1911 with a nicer than usual trigger for a Kimber

Sig MK25 9mm- SEAL version of the 226, not a fan of DA/SA triggers but its high capacity and very accurate

Glock 26 9mm- grip is too short for my taste but easy to hide, gave to my Mom for ccw

Glock 19 9mm- nothing wrong with it but vastly prefer the M&P grip angle, sights, trigger, texture, and thumb safety, gave this one to Dad for ccw

I may be forgetting one or two but there's a decent rundown, kind of fun to try to remember them all and give each some individual thought.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had more semi-auto and revolver CC guns than I can remember over the past 35 years, some I liked and many I did not but I have now settled on 3
Smith 360PD .357 Mag
Smith 637 .38 Special
Glock 43x 9mm
.......Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
404 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.