Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I had ratator cuff surgery in 2018. The shoulder still bothers me. My doctor recommended a list of exercises and one was archery. I have zero experience with it but have always been interested. Im looking for a good beginner bow. I dont want to spend more than $600 for the complete setup. Does anybody have a model recommendation?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Do you have access to a bow shop or archery club?

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Do you have access to a bow shop or archery club?

We have a sportsmans wharehouse. The archery section is managed by a 20 year old kid that doesnt have much to offer.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Are you looking for a compound or traditional?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you intend to hunt or target shoot?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok a lot of questions need to be answered before we can point you in the right direction.

Target or Hunting, Compound or Trad

Draw Length

How weak is your shoulder?

Which shoulder is your bad shoulder? Grip hand or string hand?

As far as which bow you should buy is going or should be purely on what feels right to you. Honestly you need to try to get to a shop and shoot as many different bows as you can to see what feels right to you. Bows are a very individual thing. I have a bow for sale that fits your price range. However I would be very hesitant to sell it to you "IF IT FIT YOU". Reason being as stated you need to know it feels right for you. Second it may be to much draw weight depending on your shoulder.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Ok a lot of questions need to be answered before we can point you in the right direction.

Draw Length

As far as which bow you should buy is going or should be purely on what feels right to you. Honestly you need to try to get to a shop and shoot as many different bows as you can to see what feels right to you. Bows are a very individual thing. I have a bow for sale that fits your price range. However I would be very hesitant to sell it to you "IF IT FIT YOU". Reason being as stated you need to know it feels right for you. Second it may be to much draw weight depending on your shoulder.

Its might right shoulder that was injured. Which would be my "string hand". My shoulder isnt weak. Its just is slightly uncomfortable. Im not a small frail guy either. Im 42, 6'2," and 195lbs. As far a draw length I'm not sure.

Im really wanting to know who makes a good bow and what models to avoid. Like if a guy new to hunting was looking for his first rifle I might point him in the direction of a Rem 700. The purpose of the bow will eventually be black bear hunting. I guess the logical next step is to find a guy that can accurately measure my draw length?

Last edited by OAM; 03/30/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OAM

Draw Length

Its might right shoulder that was injured. Which would be my "string hand". My shoulder isnt weak. Its just is slightly uncomfortable. Im not a small frail guy either. Im 42, 6'2," and 195lbs. As far a draw length I'm not sure.

Im really wanting to know who makes a good bow and what models to avoid. Like if a guy new to hunting was looking for his first rifle I might point him in the direction of a Rem 700. The purpose of the bow will eventually be black bear hunting. I guess the logical next step is to find a guy that can accurately measure my draw length?

I am sorry you took my questions like that. I don't think you are frail or small. I don't know you, so I have to have an understanding of your issues with your shoulder. Otherwise I am just throwing out a bunch of crap advise. Not my style, I can give you good advice but I have to know what I am dealing with.

I can list good bow companies hell all the big players make good bows. But grip, cams, and limbs may or may not be to your liking. They all pull differently. So if you just want generic info then Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtect all make very good bows.

If shooting some different brands and model bows is out of the question, you will get a bunch of different answers from members here as to what they think you should buy. Take that with a grain of salt as to its true value.

I am trying to give you good sound honest advice. I could have just said I have a mint Hoyt Carbon Matrix, with drop away, sight, Stabilizer, quiver, and soft case that would be perfect for you! But that would be blowing smoke up your ---. When I don't know anything about you.

As to your shoulder I would advise staying light on the draw weight. Specially while learning. Once you build good repeatable form and have tight groups you can increase weight. You can kill a bear all day long in the 50 to 60 pound draw weights, and lower but 50 to 60 would be a good place to be. I would also suggest working on your mobility and strengthening them. You should be able to draw your bow to full draw without having to take your pins off the target. Your shoulders should be flat, inline and parallel to the ground when drawing the bow. You can adjust your sight to the X by bending at the waist. Always keep your shoulders inline and flat.

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thats great advice! Thank you.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OAM
Thats great advice! Thank you.

Here you go
If you do the face book thing

https://m.facebook.com/NorthernSimulators/

Or

Northern Simulators Archery Pro Shop
44332 Sterling Hwy, Soldotna, Alaska 99669

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
your draw length is around 29 inches with a compound bow. i have had both shoulders rebuilt one turned out great the other is still bad. what would be the best thing for you to do before you buy a bow is go see a shoulder surgeon and tell him you intentions and ask to go have some shoulder therapy too,learn the correct shoulder muscle excercises,then get a couple of those rubber brands from the therapist.i wish you good luck and be careful with that shoulder,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get something ridiculously light in draw weight first. If you're thinking 40 pounds, get a 30. Make it cheap, and use if while dream shopping for your dream bow.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really like the Timber Ridge takedown, 50# @ 60".... On sale now at Sportsman's Warehouse, for $249.... Shoots better than my older Bear Kodiak.... Great looking as well!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pete53
your draw length is around 29 inches with a compound bow. i have had both shoulders rebuilt one turned out great the other is still bad. what would be the best thing for you to do before you buy a bow is go see a shoulder surgeon and tell him you intentions and ask to go have some shoulder therapy too,learn the correct shoulder muscle excercises,then get a couple of those rubber brands from the therapist.i wish you good luck and be careful with that shoulder,Pete53

You don't know what his draw length is! You don't know his arm length, toros, or any measurements. Taking a wild a_s guess shows just how little you actually know.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had right shoulder rotator cuff surgery two years ago. I was a traditional archer prior to surgery, and still shoot trad.

First, for rehab, I don't agree with your doctor that archery is great for rehabbing. It does not bi -laterally work your shoulders. Push ups, leaning on a wall or counter ( i e 45 degree angle or so, or in other words "gentle repetition"), are free, and bi-lateral ( works both side muscle groups). Consider various dumbbell weights ( even just filled with water) 5-10 lbs, and work on range of motion arm excercises. Again, repetition with light weights is key.

IF you do want to try archery, avoid compounds. The cam action puts a lot of stress on your supraspinatus tendon ( major tendon in shoulder ) at the worst / most vulnerable angle. Go with a lightweight draw recurve.

Samick makes excellent high qualith, high value recurve bows. The longer the bow, the better for smoothness ( easy on your shoulder). Samuel makes the Polaris in a 62" and 66" lengths. Get the 66" model. Start with 25 - 30 lb limbs ( gentle repetition). You can use up to 40# limbs on the Polaris 66" takedown recurve bow (it has a 23" riser) . About $120.

if you want more than 40# limbs, you need a stronger riser. Samick used to make a 64" takedown bow called the " Journey". It takes up to 55-60# limbs. Samick had a major staffing turnover, and some models were changed. The Journey was one of them. There is an updated version of the 64" Journey. It is make / sold by southwestarchery.com. It is called the Spyder XL. As good, if not better than the Journey. About $150. Again, start with light limbs (25-30 lbs).

I own and shoot the Spyder XL, Journey, and 66" Polaris ( plus a few other recurves, longbows, and ILF set ups). Great bows. I have done well with them in 3d shooting ( won a couple of state championships in 3d trad archery). Might find them on the used market. Increase limb weight as strength increases if desired. IT IS A BIG MISTAKE to start off with too much draw weight. It is not about testosterone, but instead, of intelligent training. 30# is more than enough for strength development and good training for form and accuracy ( with lower risk for re-injury).

Arrows? Easton Tribute xx75 aluminum shafts (about $3 / shaft) , 4" long feather fletching, and 125-150-175 grain Saunders screw-in tips. You'll need nocks and inserts, plus a simple fetching jig and glue ( to glue feathers to shafts with glue). About $5 total per finished arrow. For arrow shaft size, either 1816 or 1916. Do not cut them. Use full-length ( you can adjust L/R or stiff/weak horizontal impact with heavier or light screw-in tips. Lancaster Archery is a great source, but there are many online.

I recommend a "three-finger under" Bateman finger tab. ($15)
https://www.lancasterarchery.com/catalog/product/view/id/15216/s/bateman-tc3-three-finger-under-tab/

I draw 29++" . I am 6' tall. These bows / arrows work fine.

If you really want to appreciate trad shooting , and do it right, by the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony/Tony Camera. The best $20 you'll ever spend. Also seek out YouTube videos by Jimmy Blackmon, Vabowdog, "The Wedge Series" and "The Push" series and many others (ie Arnie Moe).

Good luck. Gentle push-ups, and light weights first, then archery. Repetition is the key.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You don't know what his draw length is! You don't know his arm length, toros, or any measurements. Taking a wild a_s guess shows just how little you actually know.

>> in some ways about draw length you could be right ,but i guess you are still having trouble with trying to be a positive person,your negative comments and your know everything attitude maybe a few sessions with a psychiatrist will make you a more humble positive human . i wish you some sincere luck ,Pete53 just another average archer trying to help a beginner. > OH by the way i am 6 ft.2 inches my draw length with a back tension release is 29 inches with a compound bow depending on what cam,loop length and compound bow it is.

Last edited by pete53; 04/01/20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry facts and no bulls_t hurts your sensitive feelings.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

>> not at all, just hope to see you somehow become more positive and maybe you need to get a little medical help ? try to think positive happy thoughts meantime ? and even try to smile or even a little positive grin . another thought maybe listen to some John Prine music to cheer you up and this just might you some too ?

Last edited by pete53; 04/01/20.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

>> not at all, just hope to see you somehow become more positive and maybe you need to get a little medical help ? try to think positive happy thoughts meantime ? and even try to smile or even a little positive grin . another thought maybe listen to some John Prine music to cheer you up and this just might you some too ?

Trying to sound like your poaching buddy? Lol Oh lord.... 😂

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Grew up shooting a Golden Eagle Falcon. I learned instinctive shooting finger-style, sans sights or triggers, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I've got an old Browning Cobra compound that is as basic as they get. Not even a string guide. Came from a garage sale. I love this old bow.

But a lower power recurve is not a bad place to start.

Last edited by DollarShort; 04/01/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.