Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yeah I’ve been chastised by guys from up north on here before over that. Down here, at least in my little corner of Oklahoma, bluegill, pumpkinseeds, green eared sunfish, warmouths, all of those and probably a couple more I’m forgetting are called just “Perch”. Kind of a catch all term for sunfish in this neck of the woods. I had no idea it wasn’t like that everywhere until I was in my 20s.

Gotcha! I guess it doesn't really matter what they're called when they taste as good as they do! smile

If you call Bluegills, Sunfish and Crappies, all Perch.

Well then what do you call a real perch?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
GB1

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Came home after work and ate two small catfish for supper before we loaded up to hit the creek again. Got into the blues again, not a ton and no monsters but I just finished skinning a 5 gallon bucket full of 2-5lbers, apocalypse food wink. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Old dad even got to catch one, but just one smile. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This little guy had ambition. Eight little shad and this perch that was wider than his mouth, no idea how he choked it down. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

World’s falling apart but I’m thankful it’s business as usual for us.

We call that a bream. Good to see some folks out fishing already. I’ve got to get caught up on things around the house before going fishing or turkey hunting.

Ha! My lawn is usually shin deep and my house and shop are an ongoing project. But we always catch lots of fish smile. One of my shortcomings I suppose but as long as my bills are paid I’ve been known to shirk my duties to hit the fishing hole.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Yeah I’ve been chastised by guys from up north on here before over that. Down here, at least in my little corner of Oklahoma, bluegill, pumpkinseeds, green eared sunfish, warmouths, all of those and probably a couple more I’m forgetting are called just “Perch”. Kind of a catch all term for sunfish in this neck of the woods. I had no idea it wasn’t like that everywhere until I was in my 20s.

Gotcha! I guess it doesn't really matter what they're called when they taste as good as they do! smile

If you call Bluegills, Sunfish and Crappies, all Perch.

Well then what do you call a real perch?

Easy, them weird striped fish they have up at the in-laws place in SD wink. I don’t think we have any yellow perch within a couple hundred miles of here though I have caught a few while visiting in SD and once at a lake in CO where I had no earthly idea what they were, I was just certain they weren’t the trout I was fishing for. Edit: and crappie are just crappie around here, some places I’ve been they’re white perch but not around these parts.

Last edited by TheKid; 03/23/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'd add slab crappie to that fresh water list.

Salt water, dats a whole nudder ting !

These?

Yeah, these;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Beautiful day here so we loaded up the skiff and headed to our flood control pond. We don’t get up there nearly as often as we should but always make it a point to go when the crappie are getting ready to spawn. Pond is about 8 acres and loaded with crappie, some up to nearly 3 pounds.

It took us a while to find them but about 7:15 we got into them and it was game on. Fishing double maribou jigs, one white and one black and yellow jigged vertical around timber and hydrilla patches. About an even split on which color we caught them on. Ended up catching about 25 or so and all but 3 were between 10-14”, good slabs. I kept the eggs, I love them fried with the rest of the fish. Ended up with a pretty good mess of fish. When I was cleaning them several of the bigger females had whole perch about 3” long in their bellies, I’ve never found anything bigger than minnows in crappie so found that interesting.

I’ll hang some pics tomorrow since Postimage seems to be down at the moment.

IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here we go.
Basket full of fatties. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Coldern crap here today, had snow flurries yesterday and highs in the mid 40’s today with a north wind. But me and my faithful sidekick donned out coveralls and loaded up the boat anyway.

Caught a pretty good mess of slab crappie, most of them jigged up around structure. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Big guy had to use his mom’s 9 1/2 foot jigging rod since she wasn’t there and he always wants to use a grownup pole. He made out alright. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Blue was the color this afternoon, we caught crappie, bass, about as big a bullhead as you’ll find around here, and a 4lb channel cat on 1” blue shad jigs with 1/16th oz sickle hook jig heads. Those sickles are awesome on crappie BTW, bigger gap assures that you hook them all the way through the mouth more often and keeps the ones that pull off as you lift them into the boat to a minimum.

Bullhead. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And the channel as he was about to meet his maker. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Cool thing is we were out there for 6 hours and never once did the virus enter my mind. Get out on the water and take a load off guys, it’s good for you.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Kid, cool stuff.. Really enjoy your posts.. Keep on!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man I'd like to catch specks again. And crappie. Its been a LONG time. We put crappie in a back tank but have never caught a single one out of the tank.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

That's a great pic!! wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We got after them again today, weather was much improved thankfully. Didn’t catch a whole bunch, just 8, but it helps when they look like this. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My partner is a decent photographer, for a 4 year old. smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
For scale that’s a size 13 Muck [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice slab!

And yes most if not all of Oklahoma refers to sunfish as “perch”

Last edited by WL205; 04/05/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to detract from the Corona doom and gloom but I thought I’d offer maybe a little ray of sunshine in my annual springtime PSA.

We didn’t have much of a winter and we’ve been seeing high 70’s and low 80’s here for the last couple weeks. Water temps are creeping up and the fish are starting to get more active. We’ve been out a few times and caught fish most trips, one evening last week we caught almost 30 bass. Get your rods dusted off and your reels spooled up guys, as my old Dr buddy used to tell me, “sunshine is an amazing medicine”.

Rained like a mofo for the last few days and the creek is up. We got some worms and invited some channel cats to a fish fry yesterday evening. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have fun, stay safe, and take your kids, grandkids, or neighbor kids fishing this spring, it’s good for them and us.

Made me smile wide. laugh

Thanks for this post. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed this thread as well. Puts a smile on my face. Here's a pic from a few days ago fishing the stripers that are just beginning to run up the Sacramento. The big ones are just starting to come up and the state closed the friggen boat ramp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice fishes and great kid. Thanks for sharin'.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
great pics, we'll be going offshore wens or thurs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We beat up on the crappie again yesterday evening for a couple hours. In the last 4 days we’ve boated 8 between 16 and 16.5 inches, big old slabs! We’d be back after them tonight since they be weather is about to go south on us again but I have some spraying I have to get done. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Momma went yesterday and outfished us both! [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Big boy was touting the deadly Beetlespin, I think he just likes to say Beetlespin but it did work. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And a 16” and 16 1/4” on the filet board. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Still getting after the crappie, haven’t had a good year for them since we moved back and we’re making hay while the suns shining.

Got my mom and dad to load up and go with us Thursday evening, my dad’s oldest brother brought his boat and my Grandad who turned 88 this past week. We caught a pretty good basket full between the two boats.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]My passengers.

Got the new motor hung Friday and me and my sidekick went to try it out yesterday. Did okay, not a ton of fish but big crappie. Also caught 3 bass over 3lb on crappie jigs, they got released to go do their thing. Motor runs like a top, going to take some getting used to since the twist throttle is backwards to the old motor but I think I’ll manage. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The best two from Saturday, that’s a 10” bladed Rapala 12v fillet knife, indispensable tool this time of year. I’d never clean another scale fish if I had to use a manual knife. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still getting after the crappie, haven’t had a good year for them since we moved back and we’re making hay while the suns shining.

Got my mom and dad to load up and go with us Thursday evening, my dad’s oldest brother brought his boat and my Grandad who turned 88 this past week. We caught a pretty good basket full between the two boats.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]My passengers.

Got the new motor hung Friday and me and my sidekick went to try it out yesterday. Did okay, not a ton of fish but big crappie. Also caught 3 bass over 3lb on crappie jigs, they got released to go do their thing. Motor runs like a top, going to take some getting used to since the twist throttle is backwards to the old motor but I think I’ll manage. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The best two from Saturday, that’s a 10” bladed Rapala 12v fillet knife, indispensable tool this time of year. I’d never clean another scale fish if I had to use a manual knife. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What!!!!! Gasp!!! I can’t believe how irresponsible you are. Endangering people, their are people on the front lines battling this pandemic,,,,,, and, I’m so damn beside myself,,, but here you are being irresponsible, while,, I’m trying not to cry, while we have people dying....

Ok I’m messing with you, good on you getting out their with the family, enjoying life and fresh air. Break up is happening and salmon season will be here.. need to pull last yrs stuff out and can it. Wife likes it smoked then canned..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We just took our masks off for the pic wink.

Is there going to be a king season this year? I miss wrassling those big bastards. Silvers in the salt were always good too. I predict that 4 years from now the salmon returns will be good, due to less lesser 48ers coming to rape and pillage due to the COVID. Good luck.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.