Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 67 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 66 67
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool! Hope that works out for you.

Poor Cyn... granted, August is a long ways away, but after the borderline mir'cle of getting the JMT permit, as it stands now we wouldn't be able to even DO it. Everything is closed. But, fingers crossed that by then things will have resolved enough that Yosemite is back open, and the trail itself, and just as importantly the necessary support stops like Vermillion, or the shuttle service we were gonna hire. But I got a baaaad feeling.

You're probably aware, the through-hikers have all had to come off the AT, CDT, and PCT. It wasn't just trail closures- the small isolated communities and resorts along the trails made it very clear they didn't want people coming through.

Sounds like this stuff hasn't really started happening in MT? Once it does, it cascades and happens fast. They've closed all the boat ramps on the coast for just that reason- to keep people out of those communities. For example.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Sounds like this stuff hasn't really started happening in MT?

not to the degree you're talking about; our state is pretty large and much less populated than most- I'm sure that plays some role in decision making, also not sure how effective the ban would be either given the size of our state- folks in Montana are going to get outdoors one way or another smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The directives will come from your capitol, I.E. your urban center(s).

They are freaking out in eastern Oregon, which is somewhat like MT in that there's a lot of space and not a lot of folks. But they are still at the whims of Salem.

Hey---- word to the wise---- Hells Canyon is done April/May. smile The exact route we did last May is awesome, other than what's in my .sig, which I would not do again. We did it in a week of ~ 10 mile days. You'd probably do it faster. Incredible place. We saw NOBODY on the trail in the core 5 days of it.

As far as the lower Temperance Canyon (my .sig) its incredible in terms of geology. That's where this pic is from. I love vertical, that's not the thing... the canyon is choked with poison ivy. Most of the time you aren't above it, like in the pic, you are right down in the riparian zone. No real trail. We had to sacrifice our rain pants to wade through the poison ivy. That, and over 20 crossings of Temperance, some quite hairy... but as you can see in the pic, other than THAT, it's super cool. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's Idaho in the distance there.

Edit.... funny, paging back through my imgur account to that pic.... it's all fishes and boats until I got back a ways! smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/28/20.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
out on the trails with my wife and Tiny E, 4 miles w/ about 900' gain in the first 1.5 miles- calling this my hill workout smile

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have a door frame mounted bar- it's fair, but nothing more; I'd like to get a good pull up/dip stand (of course a nice squat cage/bench and 300-ish lbs of free weights would be nice too :D)

You should look into an Ohio Bar and Bumper Plates from Rogue, not overly expensive. Add the ES-1 Squat rack and you have everything you really need to get a great workout in. If I remember right the Ohio Bar, Bumper Plates, and Rack where just under $1000.00 without shipping. I might be upgrading my squat rack if you are interested. That would save you some money both on the rack and shipping.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have a door frame mounted bar- it's fair, but nothing more; I'd like to get a good pull up/dip stand (of course a nice squat cage/bench and 300-ish lbs of free weights would be nice too :D)

You should look into an Ohio Bar and Bumper Plates from Rogue, not overly expensive. Add the ES-1 Squat rack and you have everything you really need to get a great workout in. If I remember right the Ohio Bar, Bumper Plates, and Rack where just under $1000.00 without shipping. I might be upgrading my squat rack if you are interested. That would save you some money both on the rack and shipping.

that is pretty reasonable

of course there is the cost of enlarging my garage too smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
speaking of the PNW smile just submitted my backcountry application for the Wonderland Trail (mid September), my buddy applied with the exact same plan, so we've doubled our chances (and we clicked reverse our routes too)- our thinking that after Labor Day few less folks and our application was for mid-week, less people yet

supposedly will get back to us in a couple of weeks w/ a yeah or nay, there is also 30% of the backcountry permits that are allocated daily- so that's a possibility too

Depending on year, mosquitos can be really bad on the wonderland. Ive only day hiked it and all around ranier but have camped in there quite a bit. Really gorgeous country and can see a lot of critters. I ran into a wolverine in there 3 years ago.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

that is pretty reasonable

of course there is the cost of enlarging my garage too smile

Well that is a whole other problem! I have that Problem too. smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
speaking of the PNW smile just submitted my backcountry application for the Wonderland Trail (mid September), my buddy applied with the exact same plan, so we've doubled our chances (and we clicked reverse our routes too)- our thinking that after Labor Day few less folks and our application was for mid-week, less people yet

supposedly will get back to us in a couple of weeks w/ a yeah or nay, there is also 30% of the backcountry permits that are allocated daily- so that's a possibility too

Depending on year, mosquitos can be really bad on the wonderland. Ive only day hiked it and all around ranier but have camped in there quite a bit. Really gorgeous country and can see a lot of critters. I ran into a wolverine in there 3 years ago.

we put in for permits mid September, hopefully bugs are on the wane by then smile

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
got bored, so........half Murph, took it easy on the 1/2 mile runs

1/2 mile run
150 air squats
100 pushups
50 pullups
1/2 mile run

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
11 miles today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've been thinking about this too. I have a whimpy bench (I hate it) and some 1" bars and plates. Thinking I'd cancel the Y membership and buy a rack olympic bar and plates. 2 years membership would pay for a decent setup. Like you, room is an issue.

Researching racks - I like the Rev 4000 but considering Titan, ECHO, ForceUSA, and NY Barbell. Rogue is probably out of the budget. Gotta watch the options. Some are brand specific and some racks don't come with anything. Any advice?

Next trip downstate I may swing by York PA and pick up plates and a bar.

Regarding room - this will go in my basement so I think I'll build a platform though I'll keep it smaller (7ft width vs std 8ft). Length is an issue too. There are probably only 2 lifts I'd need the extra outside the rack - room for bench and powercleans. If depth of rack is 30"+ I probably can do them inside too. Assuming I need the extra platform length I thought I'd build the 2ft-3ft extension and when needed set it in place. Drill (2) holes in each section and pin them together with a flat bar and pins. Should be stable.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rained most of the day yesterday and a couple times it got serious about it.....So stuck.....

Basement workout with the bench, dumbells and kettlebells...all light to medium weight.....Benchpress, seated overhead press, dumbell and or kettlebell squats, kettlebell curls, standing overhead press with a kettlebell, leg lifts....rep number based on exercise, but ended up with 100 of each....sore this morning.....

Last edited by battue; 03/29/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
trying to be responsible and stay local, took out my trail bike around the neighborhood on some trails I normally use my gravel bike on. The trail bike has been getting ignored and I used the excuse that it is more exercise on it, since it's heavier, with bigger tires, full suspension, all that. Besides that, it's way more fun!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka

we put in for permits mid September, hopefully bugs are on the wane by then smile

they should be but would bring a head net just in case. I have had bad mosquitos in Sept elk hunting second week in WA.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am sure they are all decent racks. Not sure what they cost but I am sure they are all in the same ballpark. As far as the bar goes I would spend the extra if more for the Rogue Ohio Bar. As far as space goes I believe where there is a will there is a way. Having your own gym leaves you with no excuses, it's open 24/7/365!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ribka- I'll throw in a headnet- weighs all of an a 1/2 oz and definitely worth it when needed!

13 miles in the Elkhorns today, mostly on snowshoes w/ a ton of gain- I'm bushed!!!

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got back to running last week. 4 days worth, but it was sad how bad it was. Gonna keep that up and work in some BW/kettlebell stuff this week with the kids. I'm now the PE teacher.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
5 miles on the trails for TE and I

Page 25 of 67 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.