-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I decided I wanted a really nice walnut stocked rimfire, I bought a delux grade Cooper.

Mine is a 17HMR instead of a 22 and has a stainless fluted barrel, but has an AAA Claro walnut stock.

Virgil B.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by Vasquez956
The CZ 452 Americans are Walnut with blued barreled actions. Very nice rimfires for the money.

You are correct, the one I pictured above is what they called a 452 Special, made after the introduction of the 455, it has a beech stock and is matt blued
My daughter has a left handed 452 with an exquisite walnut stock, I will try to find a picture of it

I gave my granddaughters each a 22 when they were born, and just gave them each another, last year. #1 got a BL-22 and a CZ 455FS. #2 got a Winchester 55 semi auto single shot, and a Remington 572 BDL, with the best wood I've ever seen on one (it's a 1977). They hunt and shoot a lot, and appreciate them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Cz is a average gun for the price.Blueing is avg.Wood is hit or miss.With more misses.The bluing on a Coop or Kimber is the likes of a Colt or a Smith wheel gun.Deep and lustrious.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldschool65
The Cz is a average gun for the price.Blueing is avg.Wood is hit or miss.With more misses.The bluing on a Coop or Kimber is the likes of a Colt or a Smith wheel gun.Deep and lustrious.
For the price, it SHOULD be....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As always, it would be helpful if you would provide a price range or cap, and indicate whether you only want something new, or are willing to buy used.

It helps keep the boys from getting snippy with each other over apples and oranges.

Assuming new rifles in the moderate price range, the CZ 457 offers multiple styles and also cartridge flexibility just like the earlier 455. Personally, I wouldn't buy one sight-unseen because wood quality and also the wood finish can be quite variable. The new action addresses the stuff people complained about on earlier models: crappy trigger guard, trigger pull, backwards safety, and scope mounting height.

Going used and upping the ante opens up a whole world of possibilities. My only experience with higher-end stuff was with my late brother's Kimber of Oregon 82, which was a peach in every way.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Spot on all around.. Kudos..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Oldschool65
For the price, it SHOULD be....

Yup. Both my CZ 452 American and my Remington 581 (both lefties), shoot better than I can. Occasionally, they put 4 of 5 in one hole, at 50. The flier isn't the rifle...I don't have a scope on my Mossy 340BA, just the peep. I imagine it would be nearly as good.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't been able to fire this one yet but hope it's accurate enough... THE most accurate .22 rifle I have is the Rem 541T - and it can easily shoot better than I can hold it. My son won nine turkeys at a local meat shoot about 10 years ago.. The range host wasn't happy.. laugh Next year they added some rules to basically prevent any one shooter from cleaning up... We thought it was hilarious..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I haven't been able to fire this one yet but hope it's accurate enough... THE most accurate .22 rifle I have is the Rem 541T - and it can easily shoot better than I can hold it. My son won nine turkeys at a local meat shoot about 10 years ago.. The range host wasn't happy.. laugh Next year they added some rules to basically prevent any one shooter from cleaning up... We thought it was hilarious..

Yep. Out shoots my Anschutz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And ( big bonus) they actually came with a dang good trigger, hard to believe from a Remington. I think mine's at something just over 8 oz... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
As always, it would be helpful if you would provide a price range or cap, and indicate whether you only want something new, or are willing to buy used.

It helps keep the boys from getting snippy with each other over apples and oranges.

Assuming new rifles in the moderate price range, the CZ 457 offers multiple styles and also cartridge flexibility just like the earlier 455. Personally, I wouldn't buy one sight-unseen because wood quality and also the wood finish can be quite variable. The new action addresses the stuff people complained about on earlier models: crappy trigger guard, trigger pull, backwards safety, and scope mounting height.

Going used and upping the ante opens up a whole world of possibilities. My only experience with higher-end stuff was with my late brother's Kimber of Oregon 82, which was a peach in every way.

No price range because I have no idea what the market is. Besides - I like snippy.

Me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And ( big bonus) they actually came with a dang good trigger, hard to believe from a Remington. I think mine's at something just over 8 oz... smile

I need to adjust mine. I haven't even looked at the trigger yet. Easy to adjust?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another CZ vote here

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have CZ and Anschutz 22 rifles, if you want nice get the Anschutz. Also Cooper seems to make very nice 22 rifles but do not own one. May have to look at one next time at a Cooper dealer.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Well, if you want a sleeper I'd try to find a Remington 581 (plastic magazines) or a 582 (tube mag). I'm actually partial to the 582s.

The Remington 511 and 512 sporters have dual lugs and the ones I've had shot very well FWIW.

I like the plain Jane Marlin 81s, but they all need trigger work IMO. Need it, but worth it. And they are a bargain these days.

Winchester 75 sporters are said to be fine shooting rifles. I've never had one so I'm just repeating what I've heard.

Everyone will point to the different CZ's, and with good reason. I only own a 455 but it is definitely "a shooter".

Obviously, something like a 54 or 64 actions Anschutz, a Cooper, etc is dynamite if you have the money. I like the looks and feel of the old Kimber Cascade if you decide to shop for scarce old guns.

And there are plenty more.

The only thing I can add is that I see a lot of poor muzzle crowns on modern products. Savage seems to be the leader in this but they are definitely not the only ones.
I really don't see poorly machined crowns on the older guns.
By poor I mean bad geometry, usually seen as an off center chamfer. When I see that one side is heavier than the other its "back on the rack" and on to the next one.

If they don't care enough about their barrels (barrels!) to properly execute this one easy and obvious to the buyer step, then its pretty clear that they aren't putting any quality work into the parts that I can't see for myself.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Wondering if someone makes a nice wood/blue bold action .22 lr these days?

For some reason I seem to think Kimber did back in the day - maybe it was Cooper.

Does anyone still anymore?

Something like a Kimber Super America type of wood/rig?

Depends on your budget.

Over $1K? That would screams Cooper to me. I generally don't care for expensive factory rifles 'cause I am driven to tinker with my rifles, but I have never seen a Cooper that didn't tempt me.

$500 to $1K? Can't go too far wrong with anything stamped "Anschutz".

Less than $500? The Winchester 320 is a nice wood/blue bolt action .22 that can be regularly found for under $500.

There are deals to be found if you have the patience to look. Several European companies sold the same basic .22 rifle under different names; Kleinguenther K22, Krico 302, Mauser 201, Voere ??, etc. Tradewinds imported a variation of this rifle as their Model 311A, but like many Tradewinds imports, they appear to be few and far between.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got a modified 511 steel magazine for my 581. Got each of my boys a John Reed stainless steel magazine, for theirs. I hate the damn plastic one .

Last edited by benchman; 04/03/20.
A
AMB Offline
A
I have a Ruger M77/22lr, beautiful wood stock and very nice bluing.
I don't know what year they stopped production on them.
Mine shoots accurate enough for me.
I know they can be bought in online auctions but normally bring a high price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Winchester 52 sporter. Shoots extremely well with Winchester T22 ammo which I was fortunate to buy a case several years ago. Even threw in my K22 Smith.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dakota Arms Model 22.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 28 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.