Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by OldRooster
There are some special run CZ 452s out there that might fill the bill. I’m impressed with their rimfires. Mine are very accurate and trouble free.

My son in law has a CZ 452 American in left hand. He put a Yodave trigger kit in it, and it shoots very nicely.

I have a CZ 453 American. Comes with a set trigger which I rarely use because the normal trigger is so sweet. It will cut staples out of a target at 25 yards.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really depends on what you want to spend. CZ's are very good for the money. I have had several Remington 541's, T's and S. They were pretty and accurate. Except for the first cold bore shot. Never did figure that out. Have a BSA MKIII finally, It will shoot much better than I can, but it is a match rifle. Not really a field rifle, but dang it's fun putting them in the same hole at 50 yards.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Redneck
And ( big bonus) they actually came with a dang good trigger, hard to believe from a Remington. I think mine's at something just over 8 oz... smile

I need to adjust mine. I haven't even looked at the trigger yet. Easy to adjust?
Yes...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Put another vote in the CZ 452 column for me! Among what others have stated, they are superb little rifles that came in multiple configurations. They are hard to pass on when they pop up!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Current production Remington 547 with some custom touches by the Dakota / Remington Custom shop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shoots pretty much one-hole groups with Eley Match with a scope, bug that’s boring. Open sights are a lot more fun![Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
nice!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joelkdouglas, how long did it take you to get your 547 after ordering? or was this an in stock rifle? I've heard the wait times can be pretty long on these.... glad to hear they shoot like they are supposed to- the predecessor 504 was a big disappointment by all accounts...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by teal
Wondering if someone makes a nice wood/blue bold action .22 lr these days?

For some reason I seem to think Kimber did back in the day - maybe it was Cooper.

Does anyone still anymore?

Something like a Kimber Super America type of wood/rig?

There have been a lot of good suggestions so far but to a degree you need to decide its intended usage and go from there. As mentioned the CZ 452 is very good for the money, although they usually require a trigger kit to make the trigger acceptable. Moving up the price ladder the Rem 541 T or S are generally good shooters although one needs to exercise a little care when buying one because some of the final production 541T's did not have an adjustable trigger. After that it is Anschutz, many different models so there needs to be a lot of homework done before purchasing, then Kimber and Cooper which fall in the same price range as the 54 actioned Anschutz sporter.

When choosing a sporter rifles to me handling quality is the major factor in my decision - the best thing of course is to handle the various ones and you will have a better idea of handling quality. A rifle that groups well from a bench does not necessarily have the right attributes for a hunting or plinking rifle.

I have really had good luck with the CZ 452 American as far as accuracy but the pistol grip on it does not work for me at all and they are ill balanced with too much weight to the rear of the stock .

The Rem 541 T & S models have one of the best feeling stock designs and they balance extremely well and most are very accurate, but are becoming quite expensive for what they are and the magazines can be problematic.

Anschutz - there are so many different sporter models and stock configurations that it is almost imperative to handle one to see if it will work for you - generally speaking they all shoot good but the 64 based sporters have a stock design that just doesn't work well for me and they are generally light enough that they handle "feathery". The 54 based sporters handle much better and the stock design works better for me.

Kimber and Cooper - both work extremely well for me - a good combination of grip geometry, weight, and balance.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Current production Remington 547 with some custom touches by the Dakota / Remington Custom shop.

Shoots pretty much one-hole groups with Eley Match with a scope, bug that’s boring. Open sights are a lot more fun![Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very pretty rifle.

How much?

$3k?

$4k?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sheister
Joelkdouglas, how long did it take you to get your 547 after ordering? or was this an in stock rifle? I've heard the wait times can be pretty long on these.... glad to hear they shoot like they are supposed to- the predecessor 504 was a big disappointment by all accounts...

Bob

I ordered it. Maybe a year? Two? Eh, I don’t remember, and I moved states in the middle of it so that could account for 6 months of time that I would have been distracted anyway.

It did take a while though.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jk16

Very pretty rifle.

How much?

$3k?

$4k?

I don’t remember that either!

This one would be a great rifle at $1900 if a 17 HMR would be acceptable. Or you could put in a call to First Stop Guns and get a lead on their next 22lr coming out of Sturgis. That would be a darned good way to get one.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/998640228/Remington-Custom-Shop-547-C-Grade-Sporter-17HMR-NIB.htm

But, start at $1900 and add more cost for different checkering, steel grip and butt, iron sights. Probably $3-$4K would be a good guess.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jk16

Very pretty rifle.

How much?

$3k?

$4k?

I don’t remember that either!

This one would be a great rifle at $1900 if a 17 HMR would be acceptable. Or you could put in a call to First Stop Guns and get a lead on their next 22lr coming out of Sturgis. That would be a darned good way to get one.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/998640228/Remington-Custom-Shop-547-C-Grade-Sporter-17HMR-NIB.htm

But, start at $1900 and add more cost for different checkering, steel grip and butt, iron sights. Probably $3-$4K would be a good guess.

Based on.the options on that gun and what I knew of the Remington Custom shop pricing, that is what I figured..

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U

[Linked Image]

This is one I put together for my son years ago. I went to the Kimber bankruptcy auction and bought a bunch of stocks and stock hardware. So I took some of that and paired it with a Remington 581 action. Can't remember what the barrel was from, but it shoots well, and doesn't look half bad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 581S, 541S and T, and the 540 series all share the same action. I've seen guys take 541T barrels and put them on their 581's and it looks great. Hard to improve on the 581 accuracy, but I think they balance better with the 541 barrels on them.

Have you looked into doing the second action screw conversion on your rifle? It is pretty easy to do and goes right where the hole in front of the trigger guard is...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by utah708

[Linked Image]

This is one I put together for my son years ago. I went to the Kimber bankruptcy auction and bought a bunch of stocks and stock hardware. So I took some of that and paired it with a Remington 581 action. Can't remember what the barrel was from, but it shoots well, and doesn't look half bad.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s a cool stock!

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U

Have you looked into doing the second action screw conversion on your rifle? It is pretty easy to do and goes right where the hole in front of the trigger guard is...

Bob

Never thought about it. I would have to pull the bottom metal and see if there is wood in the stock right there sufficient to provide the resistance that a second screw would need in order to be useful. I suspect that I don't have a screw in that hole because there is nothing but air behind it.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The 581S, 541S and T, and the 540 series all share the same action. I've seen guys take 541T barrels and put them on their 581's and it looks great. Hard to improve on the 581 accuracy, but I think they balance better with the 541 barrels on them.

Bob

I agree..........................

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
This one shoots pretty decent. That was 45 rounds of SK Standard at 50yds.

Last edited by K22; 04/08/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
This one shoots pretty decent. That was 45 rounds of SK Standard at 50yds.

Jim, that group might be a little better than minute of beer can. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Utah74,

That was a great job of adapting the Kimber stock to the 581. You literally made a silk purse out of a sows ear with that one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.