Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found my Lyman VLD chamfering tool removes primer crimps PDQ and doesn't cut anything but the crimp.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need one for some 5.56 brass! Damn crimp!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one of these to use instead of chamfering tool. Just unscrew from the hanle and chuck it in a drill. If you think you might not want to screw up the threads just pick up a hex coupler to fit think it cost 20 cents.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That will make quick work of the crimps

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I bought one of these to use instead of chamfering tool. Just unscrew from the hanle and chuck it in a drill. If you think you might not want to screw up the threads just pick up a hex coupler to fit think it cost 20 cents.

Yep, I did the same thing. Hornady primer pocket reamer and coupling nut from the hardware store, only takes a couple of seconds and it doesn't seem to be possible to remove too much. While the case is in hand, I flip it and chamfer inside the neck at the same time.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I have one by Lyman and it doesn't get enough of the crimp removed.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever works for you. All I know is that a pocket uniformer fits after, but not before. I am more concerned about to deep of a bevel which loosens the pockets and possibly enlarging the flash hole both of which I have experienced with the VLD tool on a drill. Just like everything else I use what works for me and just made a suggestion.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use a 45-degree "countersink" for wood screws. It's steel and has lasted for years. I put it in a drill motor and only takes MAYBE one second to remove the crimp.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MD just how far in does the crimp ring go. I know what your using so evidently it does go to far into the pocket.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I use a 45-degree "countersink" for wood screws. It's steel and has lasted for years. I put it in a drill motor and only takes MAYBE one second to remove the crimp.

+1
You beat me to it John. I've also been removing crimps this same way for many years.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this is what I use.. If I’m motivated I can do about a 500-600 cases an hour..

Last edited by 79S; 03/26/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been a real happy camper since i picked up a Dillion 600 Swager from campfire member hanco...

one of the most useful items on my reload bench....its cleaned up the primer pocket on a lot of 223 brass....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just resize with a Dillon primer pocket swager. Both small and large primers. I personally don't like to remove metal from around the primer pocket.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've been a real happy camper since i picked up a Dillion 600 Swager from campfire member hanco...

one of the most useful items on my reload bench....its cleaned up the primer pocket on a lot of 223 brass....

100%

Always prefer to stage over ream. Ya can’t get that brass ya cut out back. Better product remains from
Proper swaging.

CW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use an RCBS swager. Works well on my single stage press

https://www.rcbs.com/case-prep/accessories/16-9481.html

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 03/31/20.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I chuck my RCBS deburring tool in my cordless drill.
Take just a second to remove those pesky crimps....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I found my Lyman VLD chamfering tool removes primer crimps PDQ and doesn't cut anything but the crimp.

The tip of my Lyman "VLD" chamfering tool must have been longer than yours, it wouldn't even touch the crimp in a small rifle primer pocket before bottoming out. I ground it shorter to consistently chamfer the same amount, and that worked.

I picked up the Dillon 600 tool more recently though, and that really is the nicer way to go most of the time, but I still occasionally go back to just chucking the old L.E. Wilson deburring tool in the drill and going at it, especially for just a few pieces where it's not worth setting up the Dillon.

The Hornady tool shown above can work, but IMO is better after carefully stoning the straight edges so they don't cut the primer pocket wider. No reason why those edges should be sharp; I think that was poorly designed. After stoning the edges to protect the pockets it works well though.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Here is an automatic ejector modification on the Dillon 600 swager that makes brass processing quicker. It's easy to do with a couple screws and some rubber bands or a long spring.
https://i.imgur.com/i1V5yCX.mp4

Last edited by Yondering; 03/31/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.