Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
I FEEL I SHOULD SHARE THIS WITH YOU GUYS...
The word Alaska means “The Great Land,” and the state’s nickname is “The Last Frontier.” Both are appropriate monikers for a state containing huge swaths of wild country and uninhabited areas—a true hunter’s paradise, home to North America’s largest and most sought-after game animals. Covering 365,000,000 acres, an area one-fifth the size of the entire United States, Alaska has plenty of room for the adventurous hunter to roam.

Alaska has more than a dozen species of big-game animals as well as excellent small game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. Big-game species include bison, caribou, elk, muskox, wolves, black bears, Dall sheep, moose, brown and grizzly bears, Sitka black-tailed deer, and mountain goats. Most hunting in Alaska occurs between August and October, but bears may be taken in either fall or spring in some locations.

Alaska requires nonresidents hunting brown/grizzly bears, Dall sheep, or mountain goats to be accompanied by an Alaska-licensed guide or by an Alaska resident at least 19 years of age who is a close relative, defined as within the "second degree of kindred.” Nonresident aliens are required to have a guide to hunt any big-game animal in Alaska. All big-game guides in Alaska must be licensed by the state.

For some hunts in Alaska, it is possible to hire a transporter instead of a guide. These are licensed individuals and companies who help hunters get to remote areas by bush plane, boat, horse, ATV, snow machine, etc.

All is well, when you are calm and bold.
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well I'll be damned. Who knew? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Well I'll be damned. Who knew? smile

Fascinating, huh?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So .. .338-06 or .35 whelen for Alaska?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by albert23456
The word Alaska means “The Great Land,” and the state’s nickname is “The Last Frontier.” Both are appropriate monikers for a state containing huge swaths of wild country and uninhabited areas—a true hunter’s paradise, home to North America’s largest and most sought-after game animals. Covering 365,000,000 acres, an area one-fifth the size of the entire United States, Alaska has plenty of room for the adventurous hunter to roam.

Alaska has more than a dozen species of big-game animals as well as excellent small game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. Big-game species include bison, caribou, elk, muskox, wolves, black bears, Dall sheep, moose, brown and grizzly bears, Sitka black-tailed deer, and mountain goats. Most hunting in Alaska occurs between August and October, but bears may be taken in either fall or spring in some locations.

Alaska requires nonresidents hunting brown/grizzly bears, Dall sheep, or mountain goats to be accompanied by an Alaska-licensed guide or by an Alaska resident at least 19 years of age who is a close relative, defined as within the "second degree of kindred.” Nonresident aliens are required to have a guide to hunt any big-game animal in Alaska. All big-game guides in Alaska must be licensed by the state.

For some hunts in Alaska, it is possible to hire a transporter instead of a guide. These are licensed individuals and companies who help hunters get to remote areas by bush plane, boat, horse, ATV, snow machine, etc.

I'm curious as to the impetus for this post. Are you an Alaskan resident or Alaskan guide? -tnscouter

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I took it as yanking our chain a bit, perhaps even with a bit of humor. 6 posts, so it's too early to tell.

I'm withholding the GFY until then, tho. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by tnscouter

For some hunts in Alaska, it is possible to hire a transporter instead of a guide. These are licensed individuals and companies who help hunters get to remNeitote areas by bush plane, boat, horse, ATV, snow machine, etc.

I'm curious as to the impetus for this post. Are you an Alaskan resident or Alaskan guide? -tnscouter

I am neither of the two. I am just a fan of Alaskan hunting and my goal is to hunt in Alaska very soon, I guess that was why I am fascinated to share the post on here. Cheers!

A
OP Offline
A

ARE YOU AN ALASKAN?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
So .. .338-06 or .35 whelen for Alaska?

-Jake

400 Whelen. cool

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

For some hunts in Alaska, it is possible to hire a transporter instead of a guide. These are licensed individuals and companies who help hunters get to remNeitote areas by bush plane, boat, horse, ATV, snow machine, etc.

I am neither of the two. I am just a fan of Alaskan hunting and my goal is to hunt in Alaska very soon, I guess that was why I am fascinated to share the post on here. Cheers!

Not sure what you hope to accomplish here by cutting and pasting what appear to me to be excerpts from the ADFG website.

If you are interested in the topic as you say, and want to learn more in anticipation of a future trip, I suspect your best approach is to quietly learn from the experienced people on this site and to ask questions to help connect the dots. Its fine to admit you don't know something.

For the most part folks here are friendly, and will be happy to help you out.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please continue

Signed an Alaskan hunter , resident, guide and rifle fanatic

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

ARE YOU AN ALASKAN?

In Spirit. I've hunted Kodiak and love most things about the state. I put in for a tag for this year but unfortunately was not selected. I'll try again. Good luck with your quest. -tnscouter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Please continue

So you openly admit you are not even a bot?
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Please continue

wink

Not always

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Not sure what you hope to accomplish here by cutting and pasting what appear to me to be excerpts from the ADFG website.

If you are interested in the topic as you say, and want to learn more in anticipation of a future trip, I suspect your best approach is to quietly learn from the experienced people on this site and to ask questions to help connect the dots. Its fine to admit you don't know something.

For the most part folks here are friendly, and will be happy to help you out.

Understood! I just want to get involved, I understand I can ask questions as well. Thank you anyways very much appreciated. Will you like to share with me any of your Alaska experience if there is any?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Please continue

wink

Not always

Laughing! May You never find yourself a bot again!
wink
Richard Bot Again may have a different idea about trout fishing... but he was just making the best of what he had.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alaska has been a dream of mine since I was very small. Life and decisions got in the way. Then, as I realized my son was graduating HS - I said that I'd show up to his graduation with my chit packed, ready to head north.

Didn't happen.

I still dream of Alaska - as a destination, not a visit but am so old and set in career - I don't think I'll make it up there anymore, not as a permanent move. That said - will likely take a week vacation there in the next 2 years. No clue where or just what I'll do but I need to go and see for myself. Might bring a stack of resumes with - who knows.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The wording sounds strangely placed...

Teal-- 54 here, 17 years into a 20 year retirement, of which the city screwed me for 2 more of those years, I said they were so crooked, corrupt and didn't care, wife told me to get. City would kill me from stress.

I did just that last year. Started a new career.

That career is a killer right now with stuff going on, I was about set to start making what I used to make dollar wise but this 19 thing..

I don't regret one minute.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
The wording sounds strangely placed...

Teal-- 54 here, 17 years into a 20 year retirement, of which the city screwed me for 2 more of those years, I said they were so crooked, corrupt and didn't care, wife told me to get. City would kill me from stress.

I did just that last year. Started a new career.

That career is a killer right now with stuff going on, I was about set to start making what I used to make dollar wise but this 19 thing..

I don't regret one minute.

Yeah - I don't know. I'm a logistics wonk but logistics down here is VASTLY different than what's in AK, I'm sure. I've with a great woman who still has kids in high school, asking her to bail on them to their dad or pull them out - not the person I am.

That said - maybe, who knows. I'm always sort of looking and once the boys are out - I'll likely engage more serious. 43 years old here so I have a little time. Would likely engage a professional recruiter once looking for real as what I tend to find on my own - all retail work at 11 an hour.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent six weeks in and around the Palmer area summer before last, put 5,000 miles on the rental car exploring in every direction daily until we ran out of places to go. As an avid hunter who would like to hunt Alaska, I left with the understanding that it takes lots of gear (boats, planes, ATVs) and time to hunt that vast territory and would certainly require the services of a licensed guide to have any chance of success. Given success, the logistics of transporting a moose out of the field are overwhelming to this southern deer hunter. Even if I moved to Alaska, which I could, I'd have to invest in the aforementioned gear to even make a modest effort. Side note, I see that a frequent visitor to this forum has kin in Talkeetna, spent some time there, a wonderful place minus the tourist!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.