Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What season is everyone picking for CO elk this year now that the season structure has been completely revamped? If you hunted 2nd season, you still hunting 2nd? Some seasons offer either sex tags now as part of the draw. Most of our years have been first season, and we're sticking to that again this year. Probably put in for cow tags.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
we normally hunt 1st rifle and are applying for it this year too.

Expect to have more pressure on tags this year because of those changes, though.

wouldnt surprise me to see point creep get worse in 1st rifle, for sure. =/

good luck to you and yours.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
First season has no deer tag options. A lot of out of state people I know wanted every chance they could get when they came and purposely hunted 2nd season because they could have a deer tag too. Pushing the seasons later in the year will encourage out-of-staters to apply for earlier season because of weather IMO. If you have to drive here from PA through snow storms towing a trailer or setting up camp in 18" of snow could, a later season could be a deal breaker. I do think the either sex tags will be sought after. First season is still 5 days, which isn't appealing if you are coming from out of state. Just not sure what will happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
agreed on all accounts. we normally hunt 1st season cause the harvest % tends to be higher.

that said.....

last year, we hunted 2nd season cause we finally had enough tags to draw buck tags in "our" unit. our four hunters got two bucks, one bull and a bear. first time we've ever "batted 1000", and my dads first ever bull. he got lucky on that bull tag with 0 PP's, and didnt have enough deer PP's to draw.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The last three years I have hunted 3rd and 4th seasons with success. The previous 12 seasons, we hunted 2nd rifle season. I will be hunting 2nd rifle season this year if I draw. Our old gang has petered out over the years and only 2 of us old timers remain with another guy that has been with us off and on for 8 years. A couple of the newer guys are beginning to irritate me so I’m about ready to leave them with it. I like 4th season for bulls but my buddy doesn’t want to hunt when he can’t get a deer tag. Besides, the new structure pushes the 4th season back a week into Thanksgiving after next year. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've always hunted third season and did well with outfitters in Units 12 and 13. This year I will be going first season for the first time, Private Land Only either sex, we should draw, no deer, that sucks. I hope it isn't too hot. Good luck all.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Sako76
I've always hunted third season and did well with outfitters in Units 12 and 13. This year I will be going first season for the first time, Private Land Only either sex, we should draw, no deer, that sucks. I hope it isn't too hot. Good luck all.

A pard of mine said he read where CO is supposed to have below average precipitation and above normal temperatures through December. I also asked him for next weeks Powerball numbers.... LOL!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I think everyone should stay home and cower in fear of the Corona virus . Don’t apply the season will be canceled for sure.

Maybe that will allow me to draw a deer tag 2 years in a row.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by specneeds
I think everyone should stay home and cower in fear of the Corona virus . Don’t apply the season will be canceled for sure.

My thought as well, although I applied for deer in NM not CO. But I wanna draw my other tags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3rd and 4th is my plan. Should have a deer tag as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Only ML for draw, will probably hunt some late seasons in Dec with leftover tags.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by specneeds

My thought as well, although I applied for deer in NM not CO. But I wanna draw my other tags.

Should add, I put in for first rifle elk, hope to do a backpack hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a question that you all can probably answer faster than I can Google it.

I am putting in for a Limited archery tag that I should draw in Unit 12. I am also wanting to put in for one of the rifle bear hunts that runs concurrently with the archery season in another unit. How do I go about doing that? Was planning on calling the DOW tomorrow to see if I could get an answer from them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is an OTC add on license if you have the archery tag.The big game brochure shows a hunt code of B-E-012-U1-A. After you have your archery tag go online and buy the OTC tag. Note; do not use the hunt code for the draw for that tag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What unit were you looking to hunt bear in? The add-on licenses appear to be for the same unit(s) as the primary deer/elk tag. If it’s a unit other than the ones listed on your elk tag, you might have to apply for another license listed in the Bear section of the regulations (I think). Call CPW hunt planner number to clarify. I always found the hunt planners to be helpful. License sales not so knowledgeable sometimes. Happy Trails

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Archery hunt unit 12 and then bear hunt unit 71-711

Thanks Vince

Last edited by Gristle; 03/30/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Gristle
Archery hunt unit 12 and then bear hunt unit 71-711

Thanks Vince

The OTC Add on Bear tag must be in a unit that overlaps your archery tag per the regs. I don't think you can get a bear tag for 71 -711 if you have an archery tag for 12 . I think you would have to apply for one in a draw. Hunt code B-E-071-O1-A

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good luck 🍀

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s what I am thinking also Vince. I called CPW in Meeker and he was about as helpful as a case of herpes.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Gristle
That’s what I am thinking also Vince. I called CPW in Meeker and he was about as helpful as a case of herpes.

You must have talked to Evan Jones. Local game wardens are not up with all the new changes that have been implemented

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/31/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.