Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've only ever used a couple old RCBS powder throws. They work fine with any of the ball powders and are very consistent. Stick powders like IMR4350 are a different story. The cylinder tends to stick half the time and the weights are inconsistent. Are there any good, none electronic powder measures out there that are better with stick type powders?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Some here will claim the Redding BR 3 is second only to an Angel’s halo & that God himself uses one. Many worship the Lyman powder measure with the same verve. To my knowledge there is one powder drop that will reliably drop consistent stick powder charges & it is quite expensive. Can’t remember the name of it right now. But, I can dig it up if you want it. The Harrel’s measure is quite nice but it will only shear stick kernels which is less than consistent. I have tested the Harrel’s extensively. I really don’t believe any measure was designed for extruded powders.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bbassi
I've only ever used a couple old RCBS powder throws. They work fine with any of the ball powders and are very consistent. Stick powders like IMR4350 are a different story. The cylinder tends to stick half the time and the weights are inconsistent. Are there any good, none electronic powder measures out there that are better with stick type powders?

Believe it or not, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Classic Powder Measure, and Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure do better with extruded powders than most. They have a rubberish wiper in the drum that wipes the powder without shearing the kernels. Still not likely to see only .1gr variances but they do much better than conventional measures.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The JDS QuickMeasure is very good with stick powders.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The measures mentioned above have been measuring extruded (stick) powders for decades, the shearing is just the nature of the beast. Some longer grained powders are worse in that respect than others. I have used both RCBS Uniflo and Redding BR 3 and don't see a whits worth of defference in the way either handles stick powders. Harrel's and Lyman are not that different in design and I can't see where they would be much different than the RCBS or Redding. I always throw charges a couple grains below weight and trickle up to weight no matter what kind of powder I am using. The electronic measures because most employ a trickler like mechanism are not subject to the shearing problem encountered in mechanical measures.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The measures mentioned above have been measuring extruded (stick) powders for decades, the shearing is just the nature of the beast. Some longer grained powders are worse in that respect than others. I have used both RCBS Uniflo and Redding BR 3 and don't see a whits worth of defference in the way either handles stick powders. Harrel's and Lyman are not that different in design and I can't see where they would be much different than the RCBS or Redding. I always throw charges a couple grains below weight and trickle up to weight no matter what kind of powder I am using. The electronic measures because most employ a trickler like mechanism are not subject to the shearing problem encountered in mechanical measures.

I agree with part of your post but the Harrell's is a different design and does work much better than a Uniflo

Last edited by boatanchor; 03/30/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
The Belding and Mull is slow and has it's drawbacks, but throws very accurate charges with coarse granule powders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I HAVE to load 4831 or 4350 I throw a few grains short with the Uniflow and trickle up. Luckily that is only for a few hunting rifle applications so lots are smaller. Cutting a few grains off won't hurt anything. For larger volumes like on the progressive press find a powder that meters better, there are usually a few options.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lee measure, as much of plastic junk as it is, its amazing with stuff like 4064 and 4350 4831 and so on. I say that with a pair of Harrels sitting on my bench...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use a Lee, only 'cause that's all I've ever had. I adjust it to where 2 solid bumps against the stop on the "up" stroke of each charge, gets my weights awfully damned close when measured on the Lee Safety Scale. I don't bother tricklin'. Once I get it set, I might weigh every 8th or 10th charge, to keep it honest. Rarely do I encounter one.

This is probably the point where Mickey Coleman (RIP) would chime-in & call me an, "Uncircumcised Phillistine!", for embracing so crass a procedure.

Hey, I still have all my fingers & both eyes, and I get good groups & velocities.

I'm sure there are better ways to skin this cat, but this is the method I've used to make due with what I've got. And no, I don't bother with the, "bumps" for ball powders.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 03/31/20.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A few years ago, I did a statistical evaluation of a couple of powder measures and a couple of scales. As Hondo64d said, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure does a very fine job with stick powders.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
If I HAVE to load 4831 or 4350 I throw a few grains short with the Uniflow and trickle up. Luckily that is only for a few hunting rifle applications so lots are smaller. Cutting a few grains off won't hurt anything. For larger volumes like on the progressive press find a powder that meters better, there are usually a few options.

That’s what I do, not that big of a deal to do.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hook
The Belding and Mull is slow and has it's drawbacks, but throws very accurate charges with coarse granule powders.

Me too. I have a Harrell's and I still find myself mostly using the Belding&Mull I've used for 40 years now, but the Harrell's is awfully sweet though.

For those of you who weigh each measured charge- did you ever experiment with simply setting the measure and go without weighing, for a test batch, and do another test batch with charges weighed to perfection? I disabused myself of the weighing each charge nonsense long ago when I found the difference in accuracy to be trifling at worst and nonexistent at best.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/30/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by denton
A few years ago, I did a statistical evaluation of a couple of powder measures and a couple of scales. As Hondo64d said, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure does a very fine job with stick powders.

Ill make note of that. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the same Redding #3 for 39 years. It does not like older, long grained stick powders, but does well with shorter cut powders like H4831sc and H4350. Works wonderfully with really fine grained powders like Benchmark and 8208xbr.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the same Redding #3 for 39 years. It does not like older, long grained stick powders, but does well with shorter cut powders like H4831sc and H4350. Works wonderfully with really fine grained powders like Benchmark and 8208xbr.

B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I may give the Lee a try for the stick powders. I've avoided them in the past based on reviews and personal experience with a Lee progressive. Seems they have an issue with powder leakage with fine powders like most pistol powders, but maybe they would be worth a try for the stick stuff. FWIW I don't load near enough to justify a $200+ throw.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 300_savage

I have a couple of Redding’s. They are great!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have the reddings too, they are not as good as the lee on big stick powder.

That said I would not dream of using LEE for ball or flake powder. That was a big mess...

I found my ancient uniflow back, and since I don't have a measure in Alaska its flying back with me. I swear there were some upgrades to make it better, like a concave measuring chamber and a baffle but a quick google didn't help.. LOL. Its junk, but it beats lee measure spoons all to hell.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Uniflow that I started out with many years ago. It ain’t perfect, but it’s been working well enough that it’s probably the one I’ll finish up with.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.