Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Schnee's has a nice sale on right now, just ordered some Beartooth's to try out. Still searching for the holy grail.

I watched my elk hunting partner’s Beartooth’s come apart one year ago. Very frustrating. I’ve used Lowa GTX Renegades for the last ten to twelve years. I’m wearing my first pair as I write this...they are my boots worn while working, cutting firewood, etc. They are my first pair and lasted eight or so years as my go-to hunting boots. My newest pair are my dedicated hunting boots currently. Both are 100% waterproof still and I love em. Virtually zero break in, comfortable as any boot I’ve ever worn. About $225

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Godogs57, I recently saw some sales on the Lowa GTX Renegades @ campsaver.com.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hanwags are really nice boots. I have a pair in 13 wide uninsulated. When it gets cold I just wear thicker Darn Tough socks.
I have hunted with these boots in Montana,Wyoming and Colorado. Elevation up to 12 k.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I just grabbed a pair of the Lowas on sale, I guess I should nail down exactly where I'm going to see if an insulated pair would be a good idea as well. Thanks for all of the good advice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've tried most all of the boot brands out there and as of right now the Lowa Hunter GTX is the only one that I can endorse for what you're wanting.

I was not impressed with Meindl, Schees, Kennetreks, Crispis nor many others that get touted a lot on these boards. Maybe it is my foot profile, or how I walk, but nothing else has lasted as long as the Lowa GTX. Some of them are as comfortable as the Lowas, but they blow out at the seams much easier IME. Lowas do have a harder inner sole though than others, so I use an insole in them.

IC B2

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My Kennetreks have 6 elk seasons on them with no problem before that it was Danners. Danners or other quality boot work fine as long as its a Vibram sole. Gaiters that are quite are a must to keep your lower legs dry and adds warmth to both legs and feet (kennetreks or the old soft cabelas). I hunt with wool socks and uninsulted boots to -15F as long as I'm walking. If sitting then I remove my boots and put on Sorel type felt or quilted liners that I carry in my pack. I overthink and over buy on most everything and know its not always necessary. Wear whats comfortable with good soles. Hunted with a guy once who wore Walmart boots and his feet felt and looked fine at the end of a hard day. All on the fit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a cheap azz, I like Irish setters, and hi techs. All I can say is have more than one pair, getting them to slowly dry out is paramount to performance and longevity. Peet boot driers if you have electricity. I delaminates a pair of boots leaving them too close to the fire 🔥 box.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/29/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
REI has a really good sale going on right now.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am a cheap azz, I like Irish setters, and hi techs. All I can say is have more than one pair, getting them to slowly dry out is paramount to performance and longevity. Peet boot driers if you have electricity. I delaminates a pair of boots leaving them too close to the fire 🔥 box.

I do like the Peet’s boot dryer, but be forewarned, they will ruin a Goretex liner. Not a big deal for me, as I don’t get boots with them in them these days. And always more than one pair of boots on a hunting trip.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Been wearing my Danner knee high snake boots for 20+ years.

I am 5’8”, 240 lbs, flat feet, 4E. They feel like moccasins, so comfy.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
pbgunrunner,

I know you said you did not want to spend $400.00 to save a few ounces but let me say that good boots are one of the most important gear items you will need on an elk hunt. Now I wore a pair of Danner Trophy boots for many years and they were great for hiking, and I used them both out west and here in Virginia. They did not have heels and were therefore not good for horseback hunts, I highly recommend a heel on boots used on horseback. I also had a pair of Low Tibbet GTX for milder weather.

Elk hunting means good boots and good optics to me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've only hunted Colorado twice, but the N GA mountains where I hunt every year are every bit as steep and rugged. The altitude makes a huge difference though. But I've settled on a hiking type boot for my hunting. I haven't owned insulated boots in 20+ years and haven't missed them. That is what I wore in November of 2018 in a foot of snow and morning temps of 10-12 degrees when I last hunted Colorado and they did fine.

Lots of options and it is very personal. Sierra Trading post can be a good source, but they are closed for now and their website isn't even up. But if you can find what you like in your size can save a ton of money. You can often find boots at 1/2 the normal price there.

REI is also a good choice, especially if you're a member. They aren't any more expensive than the same items anywhere else and the 10% dividend each year along with the 20% off coupons they issue members several times a year makes the prices pretty attractive.

For the money I like these. Probably the lightest boot with the most support I've ever worn

https://www.rei.com/product/127770/salomon-quest-4d-3-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

If you want all leather I like these.

https://www.rei.com/product/896262/asolo-tps-520-gv-evo-hiking-boots-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dre
Irish setters and danners are ok/good for the money around 100/140$ Sales pending
You might hit warm weather or cold weather while elk hunting.
I have a set of non insulated danners and 800 Irish. I Probably could have got 400 as 800 can be warm when it warms up mid day, But that depended I’d you sit or walk.
I like the idea of having two boots when 1000 miles away from home or 3 or 4 hours from nearest big box store

That's how I'm set up now too, Danner Pronghorns for early season and a pair of insulated Irish Setters for when it gets colder. Both sets always go with me, just having one set wouldn't really work, I may be hunting Sept to Dec, 75 deg to -15 deg. This past year was my first on the Pronghorns, and I like them, I've run some Asolos in the past, but both pairs wound up giving me blisters eventually. I will say, my older insulated Irish Setters look really frumpy and shapeless, but my feet have never gotten really cold in them and they've never given me blisters walking countless miles.

Boots with a waterproof membrane like Gortex are a must for me. In the early season, there's always streams or wet areas I need to cross to get where I want to go. Later season, even when it's cold, the snow on my boots will eventually get thawed by the sun and melt to an extent during the day.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 03/31/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at northern NM mountains in early December. Cold mornings, a bit steep, and maybe some snow. Any other thoughts?

405wcf

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Boots are like jeans, everybody's preference is different. For rifle seasons, I like waterproof and comfortable. Like soft, broken in, comfortable. Throw in light weight - you will notice a difference. I've been using Danner's of some sort for decades now, latest are the Pronghorns. I get maybe three seasons out of them, but they are comfortable the instant I put them on and don't need break in. They don't give blisters going up or down the hills either. For bow season I've worn trail running shoes before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is a tough question to answer in my opinion because aside from quality construction, fit and comfort are highly individual perceptions.

I say that because my feet have liked the relatively cheap, Cabela’s, non-insulated’s Mountain Hikers. They have or did have leather, and synthetic versions and I’m on my fourth pair.

They are lightweight, waterproof and I use them for pheasants in IA and SD and did for twenty years in the mountains for elk.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Everyone's feet are different but these are the boots that I grab for anything but the steepest terrain or very cold weather.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/quest-4d-3-gtxr.html#color=9861

I like the looks of those. Look tough and light with good grip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.