Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi guys.

I Shoot thousands of pigs in Australia as part of my pest control business. Any new hog recipes you might have would be appreciated.

This is how we do it in Ozz:

Watch "Wild Pigs. Boars. Eradication using. Spotter Plane. Benelli M2" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/K3eE0XwiDTs

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We shoot em on sight in Texas. Drag the big ones into a ditch. The young ones we quarter, smoke, and make pulled pork barbecue.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Haha..
Sounds just like how we do it here mate.đź‘Ť

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Greetings OZ! You are fairly new the this place, welcome. Watch yer coat, an' hat. Mostly watch out for me. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The traditional Cherokee Hog Fry is by far the best wild hog I've eaten.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a boar that had a little funk to it. I used it for Vindaloo curry and it turned out great. Not bad in Chili, Chili Verde or Pozole but the taste was still there slightly.

In the video what are those shells? If you answered this on the Aussie forum please disregard.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We shoot a lot in Texas, too. I've shot a few hundred which is definitely shy of a few thousand. To me the question is always: funky or not funky animal? It is not entirely size dependent. The best wild pork I have has been from 200 lb females that were very fatty--the neck meat looked like Kobe beef. But I have had horrible tasting pork from those size animals as well.

And I've had bad pork from smaller pigs, even 40-50 pounders. It seems to be some combo of diet and genetics that no one I know has really figured out. Maybe someone else has.

If it's strong you can usually tell just by cooking a small piece or a small piece of the fat. Right away, you will know how to treat the meat from that animal. Though often the lighter meat on a smelly pig is still just fine. The dark meat needs to get the curry treatment, I'd guess. Even Pozole doesn't quite seem to cover it up.

Here is a recipe I invented at 2am one thanksgiving morning, after realizing we didn't have enough food for extra guests.
One (frozen) pork leg (shoulder or ham). Frozen is fine.
One big roasting pan.
Sh*tton of rosemary, sage, thyme, whatever herbs you have in the yard. Talking bigazz handfuls, I'll use 2-3 long entire stalks of rosemary. And a bay leaf or two.
Cover 1/2-3/4 of the way with whatever stock you want, I just use chicken stock.
Do not cover!! Leaving uncovered will allow the exposed meat to slowly carmelize.
Set on very low heat, like 250 F, and leave for 12-24 hours. About halfway through cooking, when meat is at like 180-190, turn heat down to 200 or 210 (F). I try to keep the entire arrangement at 200-205 as long as possible. This breaks down the collagen without blowing moisture out of the meat. I don't want the stock to boil. Just barely simmer.
Turn leg over in stock to caramelize both sides, top off with water as need be.
You can start this first thing in the morning and leave it cook all day. You can start it with a frozen ham or shoulder late at night and if the temp is low enough it till be done the next afternoon.
This leaves you with really delicious, very herbal and fragrant pulled pork.
Tastes like something from a high end restaurant vs normal pulled pork which is more like BBQ.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TX35W
We shoot a lot in Texas, too. I've shot a few hundred which is definitely shy of a few thousand. To me the question is always: funky or not funky animal? It is not entirely size dependent. The best wild pork I have has been from 200 lb females that were very fatty--the neck meat looked like Kobe beef. But I have had horrible tasting pork from those size animals as well.

And I've had bad pork from smaller pigs, even 40-50 pounders. It seems to be some combo of diet and genetics that no one I know has really figured out. Maybe someone else has.

If it's strong you can usually tell just by cooking a small piece or a small piece of the fat. Right away, you will know how to treat the meat from that animal. Though often the lighter meat on a smelly pig is still just fine. The dark meat needs to get the curry treatment, I'd guess. Even Pozole doesn't quite seem to cover it up.

Here is a recipe I invented at 2am one thanksgiving morning, after realizing we didn't have enough food for extra guests.
One (frozen) pork leg (shoulder or ham). Frozen is fine.
One big roasting pan.
Sh*tton of rosemary, sage, thyme, whatever herbs you have in the yard. Talking bigazz handfuls, I'll use 2-3 long entire stalks of rosemary. And a bay leaf or two.
Cover 1/2-3/4 of the way with whatever stock you want, I just use chicken stock.
Do not cover!! Leaving uncovered will allow the exposed meat to slowly carmelize.
Set on very low heat, like 250 F, and leave for 12-24 hours. About halfway through cooking, when meat is at like 180-190, turn heat down to 200 or 210 (F). I try to keep the entire arrangement at 200-205 as long as possible. This breaks down the collagen without blowing moisture out of the meat. I don't want the stock to boil. Just barely simmer.
Turn leg over in stock to caramelize both sides, top off with water as need be.
You can start this first thing in the morning and leave it cook all day. You can start it with a frozen ham or shoulder late at night and if the temp is low enough it till be done the next afternoon.
This leaves you with really delicious, very herbal and fragrant pulled pork.
Tastes like something from a high end restaurant vs normal pulled pork which is more like BBQ.

Love the detail of this post. I am going to try this with a small bear ham. Sounds great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dang will have to try this. I haven't gotten as aggressive with the spices and cook time. Might combine this with grilling/smoking and then finish this way.
I waste the big boars but should consider butchering all but the nastiest. Strange sometimes even the coyotes and buzzards won't eat the big ones.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do you eat Mexican down there? If you can get Chipotle's in abodo sauce, score the flesh deeply but not all the way through. Mix the Chipotle's and adobo with diced onion and put on a smoker. Shred when done and serve on corn tortillas with whatever topping you want.

I like diced onion, cilantro, and Serrano or jalapeno finely chopped. Make that when you prep the hog so it will sit in the fridge for a couple hours. That a classic topping for street tacos and it's delicious. Sour cream is great on this.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.