24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thunder dome and primos freak, with custom strikers. Use my mouth/voice for up close if necessary.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used just about every kind of call there is over the years. I have never liked mouth calls, as I just cannot get used to them. I've made and used several wingbone calls, and have called in quite a few birds using one. In the early years, my favorite call was a Lynch Foolproof box call. But, my favorite, and most used call, is a little Johnny Stewart push pin call that I bought in the clearance bin at a sporting goods store over 25 years ago. It's great for those little clucks that will draw them in the last few yards.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hookeye
Basic double reed and a backup slate.
Used MAD stuff way back and worked fine.
Think the newer stuff not as good in quality.
Proly order a custom slate.

I really liked the original MAD single and double reed red tape calls. Wish I could still get them. Haven't found a replacement yet that I can run as well or feels as comfortable.

About all my calling these days involves a Harn Final Summons box and an H S Strut 360GT with various strikers. There's also a push button box on the fore end of my gun for close in sweet talk and I'm getting better at voice calling.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
"There's also a push button box on the fore end of my gun for close in sweet talk.."
Like!

Appreciate all the replies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I attached a push button easy yelper to the leg of a decoy. Operated it by small zebco reel and mono filament. Worked like a charm to finish a hung up gobbler in a highly pressured unit. Movement and soft yelps from the decoy focused his attention there and not on me.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a sort of a home-made box call, but I didn't make it.

About 45 years ago, I was living in Jasper, TX. The local Parks and Wildlife biologist showed up at my home one evening with an old cedar fence post that he had found. By old, I mean well aged and dried--an unusual find in deep East Texas. He said that it would make great turkey calls, but had no way to cut it like he needed. I had him give me the dimensions he wanted.

One of my uncles was a retired petroleum engineer who had a retirement home over on Toledo Bend Reservoir, and he had a completely equipped wood shop. I took it over and we cut around a dozen blanks out the heart of that old fence post. I could tell that he really wanted one of those turkey calls, but he was too polite to ask. I took the blanks back to my friend Billy, and told him that I needed two calls out of the deal.

Several months later, Billy brought me back two finely crafted, hand-finished box calls. I took one back to my Uncle Bill and showed him how to use it. He was not a hunter, but to his great delight, he did call several turkeys into his yard.

I have used mine to call turkeys in Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico. The sound just seems to get better every year!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John Sinclair or Mike Yingling pots

Got a Ed Terefencko short box and long box this spring after waiting for a year. Really looking forward to running those this spring.

I genuinely like turkey calls and refuse to use mouth calls. The craftsmanship and time put into these calls by callmakers deserve to be used in the field.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After 25 years plus of turkey hunting I've accumulated a number of calls, but my favorite is the pot call - my two most used over the last 15 years are these two (slate & glass) from a small maker in Northeastern NC. Last season I saw this new variation on the push-button (no button outside the box so no accidental yelps) - gave it a try on two birds last spring - worked as advertised.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Slate, mouth, and a homemade scratch box .
Carry a glass but hardly use it.
Think I might go out again monday .
Supposed ta be storms tommorow.
Birds getting pizzed on all night on the roost .
Should make really active monday morning.
Doing some arrowhead hunting in the meantime.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just pulled some 35 year old cedar split rail fencing out if someone wants any of the wood for making calls. I believe it's red cedar. If interested, we'll work something out on how to get it to you.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The cheapest blister pack, 3-pack mouth call. Usually 1-2 will sound good, others will suck. I will try tuning the sucky ones and after 15 min will throw them in the trash. Same routine every year.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Primos Alumislate (out of production) to reach out into the woods and also for nasty weather, Knight & Hale Sweet Hen slate pot call (out of production) for up close and personal calling when the wind isn't blowing. Wood or acrylic strikers depending on the weather.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This year I’m running a JT slate over glass pot call, plus a zink and a primos mouth call.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 50 year old Lynch box, a slate, glass striker and a push button.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wish I still had my big ol Tom Kirby box call! That thing could really reach out!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Duck call.. what else is there..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like a lot of us I have tried mouth calls, pots, slates, box calls, things with a string on em' that you fasten out on the barrel, and a wingbone a guy made for me years ago.

These days I use a box call and mouth calls and call it good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm

For years I've been using a butternut box call made by a fella named Mathew Foley. I call it the Box Of Death. Sure would like to get another from this guy but I can't seem to find contact info.

Several of his are on eBay right now.

I think, his business is Last Call Custom Game Calls, but not positive. Found a Facebook page you can send a message and ask.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/LAST-CALL...14/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an older Dick Kirby----Quaker Boy----"Grand Old Master" box call. It's really the only call I use. I have complete confidence with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use two types of calls, box call and pot call.

MAD Heavy Metal box call

Primos Ol' Glory pot call

Northern Scratch Box call. (This one was made by a member here,Everyday Hunter, and has become my favorite)

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.