Print Thread
Hop To
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I am looking for input on purchasing a solar powered elect fence for my garden. It is 65' x 65'. I have it fenced with a 8'tall deer proof fence. I need to stop the rabbits and coons from getting in. Plan on putting at least two rows of wire ,maybe 4" and 10" off the ground. Any suggestions on what to get?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 of them, both cheap models that I use for temporary fencing. One is a Patriot, and from my experience and from what I've been told, it's not worth much. I won't buy another one like it.

I also have an older Zabera brand that I've had for years. I've replaced several batteries in it, and it keeps on working. It's not real hot, but then I believe that if I grounded it good, it would be better.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Solar powered fences are no different. Buy once, cry once.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We've run a Premier1 system for poultry for a decade without a hitch. Curled the hair on a few screaming 'yotes at 3am when wet nose touched the fencing mesh. Go to their website and oggle the following then give them a call for any assistance:

Energizer Support Box (to hold Energizer, Costco 12V car battery and solar panel/Bracket. Screw 4-vinyl bumper feet on the bottom support rails.)
Solar Panel Brackets (to mount panel on top of Box)
3-foot Ground Rod (ground not good, zap not good!)
10W Solar Panel (or whatever you need for your energizer)
Energizer (0.5 - 1.0 joule should be more than adequate)

You'll also need a solar/photovoltaic charge controller between the panel and battery/batteries to keep the panel output from boiling the battery on bright, sunny days. I mounted a Flexcharge controller inside the Box so both it and the wiring aren't exposed to the sun. This will *greatly* extend battery life. Call Solarseller.com to get the correct size for your use.

A tad pricey? Sure, but it has been rock solid for a decade. The nice thing about this setup is that after the garden is mulched for the fall/winter, you can also use it to keep your idled mower/tractor 12V battery topped up during the winter when it's not being used much. Solar battery tender! Just point it south in a window or outside and run some lamp wire with clamps from the controller to your rig or put the battery nearby to keep both batteries (garden use and tractor) juiced up....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kenacp
I am looking for input on purchasing a solar powered elect fence for my garden. It is 65' x 65'. I have it fenced with a 8'tall deer proof fence. I need to stop the rabbits and coons from getting in. Plan on putting at least two rows of wire ,maybe 4" and 10" off the ground. Any suggestions on what to get?
Thanks
Where did you get the 8’ fence. Care to share a picture or two?

Buy once, cry once.
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'll get some pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday. A guy in Louisiana fenced in his 640ac with this 8' fence. The Dept of Wildlife made him take it down. He was selling on Craig's list 300'/$75 and 10' tposts for like $4 ea.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll get some pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday. A guy in Louisiana fenced in his 640ac with this 8' fence. The Dept of Wildlife made him take it down. He was selling on Craig's list 300'/$75 and 10' tposts for like $4 ea.

That’s a steal!! I can’t even find 10’ t posts around here. 8’ fence isn’t carried either here.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'd take some of that!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Wish I had bought more.300' was rolled up about 4' and pretty heavy. Loaded in my trailer with a front end loader.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought a solar fencer on a Black Friday sale, it's still in the box.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had one of these for over 20 years. Some years it was in storage as we moved around. But, even after coming out of storage and needing a new battery it fired right up. Have used it to keep bears away from beehive and deer out of the garden.

Have had "naive" deer get in it, but after their first experience they don't usually come back. One buck wore a few strands of the braided wire on his antlers for a few weeks before he got them off............but he didn't eat any more of my garden.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWZB74?tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Good luck with it

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,238
Posts18,466,745
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.