-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For black bears that have become a nuisance around camp.

I have always shot Brennekes in my 12, 16, 20, and 410 smooth bores, but this is for use in rifled barrels on a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870.

Someone suggested the BRI sabot slugs that Winchester/Olin makes, but the muzzle velocity is over 400 fps slower than their other sabot style 20 gauge slugs.

I'm never going to shoot another Foster-style slug again unless there aren't any alternatives.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Remington "ACCU-TIP".....accurate, deadly and expensive $$.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sabot slugs from any of the usual suspects. They were designed for rifled barrels and rifled choke tubes.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just curious, what do you use the .410 slugs on? I bought some of the metal cased Russian .410 slugs to use as halibut loads when I lived in AK. never used them, I ended up with a .380 for that duty.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kid0917
just curious, what do you use the .410 slugs on? I bought some of the metal cased Russian .410 slugs to use as halibut loads when I lived in AK. never used them, I ended up with a .380 for that duty.

I have a Savage 24 combination gun in 22 Magnum over .410 that I like to carry when I am "woods loafing". I've shot a couple of coyotes with them. Other than for shooting skeet, I don't find much use/value in anything .410 and probably wouldn't have one if it wasn't for my attachment to that old Savage.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that sounds like a perfect gun for that type of duty. I also try to take "armed nature walks" a lot these days.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As already mentioned, pretty much any of the sabot slugs will work. I've shot a lot of deer with the BRI sabots and would have no doubts it will kill a bear. My only hesitation would be with the 20 ga BRI regarding penetration on a largish (500# +) bear as I strongly prefer an exit to assist in tracking.

Nuisance black bears are pretty readily handled without lethal means. Lessening the attractants is the first step as that is what is bringing them around in the first place. Pepper spray works well on them and convinces them to give people a wide bearth. I've known people that used rubber buckshot and noisemakers out of their shotguns to good affect. Bears typically did not come around when people were there but if a bear did, it took off as soon as any noise or movement occurred.

I've shot a good dozen "problem" bears, the first one taught me the value of attempting all other options before using lethal means. An investigation may take months and can have an affect on hunting and fishing opportunities in the future.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
As already mentioned, pretty much any of the sabot slugs will work. I've shot a lot of deer with the BRI sabots and would have no doubts it will kill a bear. My only hesitation would be with the 20 ga BRI regarding penetration on a largish (500# +) bear as I strongly prefer an exit to assist in tracking.

Nuisance black bears are pretty readily handled without lethal means. Lessening the attractants is the first step as that is what is bringing them around in the first place. Pepper spray works well on them and convinces them to give people a wide bearth. I've known people that used rubber buckshot and noisemakers out of their shotguns to good affect. Bears typically did not come around when people were there but if a bear did, it took off as soon as any noise or movement occurred.

I've shot a good dozen "problem" bears, the first one taught me the value of attempting all other options before using lethal means. An investigation may take months and can have an affect on hunting and fishing opportunities in the future.

The local CO told us to shoot the nuisance bears if they attempt to break into camp, I saved the emails from him. They have broken into the empty camp after we closed it for the season and had removed everything eatable. When they get in, the tear everything up and pee/crap/bleed all over the place. We're not feeding the bears or even hanging bird feeders,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check the Brenneke website. They have slugs for rifled barrels and some that will work in either. One of the 20ga weighs almost an ounce.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME, nothing has been more consistently accurate and effective per dollar than Lightfield slugs.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Accutip. Potent, accurate and same price as the other boutique slugs. I get 2" three shot 100 yard groups fromy 220 Savage.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by pointer
IME, nothing has been more consistently accurate and effective per dollar than Lightfield slugs.

I'm with 'pointer' as far as LightField brand slugs for rifled barrels in 20 gauge. They work well on deer here in Illinois AND shoot well, too!

Brittman

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ideally you should try some different types as what is best for a given barrel may very. As noted above, I had best accuracy with the Remington Accu Tips but the copper solids were a close second and cheaper. Hornady did pretty good as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.