Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm not a religious guy and quite frankly I think these people are irresponsible in their actions. God doesn't protect Christians from a hurricane, earthquake or tornado, I don't see why he's going to make an exception with Corona - and to date he has not.

That said, I don't really see a difference constitution wise from the corona virus and the government telling a church they can't meet because of any political reason. Then again, no one is ever going to accuse me of being a constitutional scholar.

I know there is some precedent against some of the religions that don't believe in traditional medicine when it comes to the life of a child, but this is adults choosing the practice their religion.

I also assume that one could argue no one is stopping them from assembling but the CDC recommends 6 feet apart or they should meet remotely via the internet - however that is a law regarding the free exercise thereof and the right of the people to peaceably assemble.

interesting times.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/31/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
God, is indifferent and often-times cruel. And worshipers of ANY faith, that decide to gather together given the present situation are MORONS...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't think God is in the business of protecting people from the trials of mortal life. His role is to provide salvation from sin. Although at times it seems He intervenes to protect someone if their doing His work. Like the Blues brothers.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The problem is these people gather, get infected and then spread it to others. Your rights end where mine begin.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A good question. As is stated right here often, every "crisis" chips away at our Rights.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We've seen how the 2nd Amendment has been annihilated, so there's no reason to think the same won't happen here. That said I think restricting gatherings right now is probably the right thing to do, but it's a very fine line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be surprised if the government can legally stop adults from assembling for religious purposes.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
People are going to gather.
If you are afraid of catching C19 and dying or suffering, it is incumbent on YOU to avoid those people!

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you are afraid of catching C19 and dying or suffering, it is incumbent on YOU to avoid those people!

If you go to the gas station, the grocery, the doctor,..or even to your mailbox, you can't avoid them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It will be a great day when "The fat lady sings", and all this virus business is over.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you go to the gas station, the grocery, the doctor,..or even to your mailbox, you can't avoid them.
I haven't had a problem.

I've always used a paper towel to grab the pump handle with too, long before C19.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BYO rattlers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The thing is that the people who are complaining that the quarantines are lasting too long are the same ones who ignore the recommendations, which is what causes the quarantine times to increase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Florida megachurch pastor arrested for holding services despite health order

03/30/20 04:06 PM EDT
A Florida pastor was arrested on Monday for holding services at a Tampa megachurch in violation of a public health order prohibiting large gatherings to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne was charged with misdemeanor counts of unlawful assembly and violation of the public health rules, according to Fox 13, Tampa Bay’s local affiliate.

Howard-Browne’s apprehension came after he held two Sunday services with up to 500 attendees, even offering bus service to the church.

“His reckless disregard for human life put hundreds of people in his congregation and thousands of residents who may interact with them this week in danger,” said Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister, who issued an arrest warrant earlier Monday.

Despite social distancing measures to curb person-to-person transmission of the coronavirus, the River at Tampa Bay Church announced earlier this month that it intended to remain open to comfort those in need, even as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rose across the country.

“In a time of national crisis, we expect certain institutions to be open and certain people to be on duty. We expect hospitals to have their doors open 24/7 to receive and treat patients. We expect our police and firefighters to be ready and available to rescue and to help and to keep the peace. The Church is another one of those essential services. It is a place where people turn for help and for comfort in a climate of fear and uncertainty,” the church said in a statement.

The River at Tampa Bay Church was one of several regional churches that drew hundreds of worshipers recently despite bans on public gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic........................................
https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...or-arrested-for-holding-services-despite

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I think it will probably hold up in court as the prohibition doesn’t effect just churches but any gathering over so many people. So the argument is going to be that it’s as narrowly tailored as possible and doesn’t single out religion

I don’t necessarily agree with the people saying God will protect the congregation from illness. Everything I’ve saw in the Bible is that God will protect your soul, can’t recall anything saying he’ll protect your mortal life

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I understand, God can do what HE pleases.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I think it will probably hold up in court as the prohibition doesn’t effect just churches but any gathering over so many people. So the argument is going to be that it’s as narrowly tailored as possible and doesn’t single out religion

I don’t necessarily agree with the people saying God will protect the congregation from illness. Everything I’ve saw in the Bible is that God will protect your soul, can’t recall anything saying he’ll protect your mortal life

The problem with that argument is they're not counting people at the door of Walmart.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a Christian and I know I'll die like everyone else. I'll have injuries, sickness, and calamities just like everyone else. The Bible says that we're in the world and that we are to obey the laws. Yes, the 1st gives us the right to meet for religious reasons but we're supposed to use common sense, too. Meeting at this time is within our rights but it's pushing your luck and some of them are likely to regret it when an entire congregation comes down sick and maybe a few die.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What about "the government" holding church members accountable for the death by stoning of adulterers/adulteresses in their midst?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, if all, the sinners were stoned, it's be like the food fight in Animal House.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 70 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.